Time Machine works in OSX but not from install DVD...

matulike

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm trying to do a restore. Time Machine worked fine backing up to the other partition on my internal drive. I've reinstalled 10.5.2 on the 'primary' partition and am trying to restore from the second partition. If I run Time Machine from within OSX after booting up normally I can restore files etc. IF I boot from the DVD and try to run it to do a full restore it just hangs. The rainbow wheel thing comes up and just keeps going...

I would like to restore from a backup - is there anyway I can do it from within the OS? Or is there some reason why it wont work from the DVD??

Thanks in advance!

I have the same problem. I have the Kalyway 10.5.2. dvd. But to get TM to work under OSX is have to use the TOH ethernetfamily extention. And i also changed the ethernet drivers. So that must be the problem. I read somewhere TM needs ethernet or wifi working.

So i think we need a install dvd with standard ethernet drivers and that TOH ethernetfamily extention.

Maybe we can use a different Distri. from like TOH just to restore from the dvd install.

Cause i don't want to install Kalyway everytime i update an my system crashes

Also tried that and ofcorse that didn't work. Kalyway makes 2 partitions. 1 boot and system. But when it restores from the TOH dvd it formats the entire drive and so it has lost it's boot partition.

Anybody got restore to work from an install dvd? Cause TM has no use at all then when your system crashes and you can't get into system to restore.

OK, I 'm gonna try Time Machine from ToH DVD when I get home. But what you said doesnt really make sense... Whether Kalyway's disk makes some extra partition or not - you need to have OSX installed to use Time Machine, so surely if you have a backup of a Kalyway installation on Time Machine then if you reinstall a 'virgin' install of Kalyway, then use Time MAchine (from any DVD you can get it to work on) then restoring should be fine, no? Doesnt matter if you run Time Machine from ToH DVD as you're not installing anything from the DVD, are you (am I?!)??

I'll try some other distro DVD's when I get home.

But just to clarify - it's NOT possible to do a full restore within the OSX OS? I tried restoring the whole 'Leopard' partition, but it seems to just copy it to a folder at the root of the drive rather than overwriting everything.

My Time MAchine worked straight 'out of the box' with Kalyway 10.5.2 - started backing up straight away (I did have wireless working out of the box too - cos I put the 1490 TrueMobile WLAN card into my laptop for that reason - and cos there still isnt a fix for 5752 Broadcom NICs). That's why I found it strange that it didnt work from the Kalyway DVD - which is the disk I installed from...

Anyway, will report back later.

First: Yes I think Kalyway makes 2 partitions. 1 with the bootloader and one with the system. Because after i use the TOH install disk to restore to a good install on restart it tells me it can't find apple.bootloader.com or something like that.

Second: Maybe 'transfer from a restore from timemachine' is in the install process. I don't know for sure. Have you seen it? We must try that to if it exists. That would be the fastest!

Third: Maybe with a fresh new install you can go to an old restore point. Getting everything back to how it was before. Surely this is what you mean right? But we first need to test that. But it looks as the second fastest way for now to use TM after real crashes.

Fourth. Is there a way around this so TM works straight from the install dvd? Anybody else who can help us?

I dont think you can run it from the install DVD, but when you first create an account there's an option to restore from Time Machine there.

I am running it now from the iDeneb DVD. It seemes to be working, but I'll be interested to see what this partitioning thing will do! Maybe iDeneb uses two partitions too??

You could, I suppose, restore within OSX, but you have to do it file by file, or folder by folder, and I dont think you'll be able to replace 'in use' files... At least I could get back all my drivers/kexts, bookmarks, etc.

I'll be back in about 15mins when this restore has finished to let you knwo if it worked!!

I guess the worst that can happen is: it doesnt work! I'll still have the TM backup and be able to try a different approach :))

I was reading about the BOOT-132 disk earlier, I'm using a Vanilla kernel (9.2.2 I think) so might give that a go. Would be really, REALLY nice to be able to update with NO MESSING!!

15mins later...

OK, it restored successfully, but it wont boot. I get boot:0 error.

I heard someone mentioned boot from the DVD, then install efi. So I'm gonna try that. But I'm not sure how to boot into the OS from the DVD?!

Any ideas about that? I didnt know there was any option to do that.

OK, now I'm trying to get a distro which has the 'darwin' command in the single user mode. Apparently this will fix it.

I dont have iAtkos 2 tho, so just trying all the other distros I do have!

OK I had to do that in the end, reinstall and transfer from Time Machine. BUT it's not transferred the kernel. And I bet none of the kexts either.

Now my kernel is 9.1.0 and it was 9.2.0. So to get back to that I need to update the kernel...I'm wondering what else it's missed out+whether it'll be stable now.

OK I had to do that in the end, reinstall and transfer from Time Machine. BUT it's not transferred the kernel. And I bet none of the kexts either.

Now my kernel is 9.1.0 and it was 9.2.0. So to get back to that I need to update the kernel...I'm wondering what else it's missed out+whether it'll be stable now.

That's logical. It doesn't use the TM backup to restore the entire disk but only takes the info like bookmarks, owner etc. from that backup. So if you have installed new updates they are not in there.

So that leaves use with installing efi after we used the TOH install disk to get to TM.

And that Boot 132 you were talking about.

Which did of those did you try?

I think the efi is just simple inserting the Kalyway 10.5.2. disk after we have restored with the TOH disk. And then only select efi maybe from the Kalyway disk. Leaving all the other options off. But that's just guess.

Surely alot of ppl have this problem with TM. Cause TM is useless with recovery from a crash.

Unless they have a 10.5.4 install distro. But that also may not work. Cause you have the same EFI problem.

I'm gonna look into TOH restore.

BTW i just did a new install without formatting the disk. And then i don't have to register or anything. Didn't know that.

Also found this as another option :

http://nicemac.com/index.php?topic=1605.msg8189

Also his looks likes the fastest.

http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ind...hp/t100473.html

Read how you install the efi after you have started the system with dvd.

Oke restoring from the TOH works but i still can only boot when the install dvd is inside. I get 6 lines with 00000 and stuff when i remove the dvd.

So in the last tread i posted they talk off manually opening the boot_EFI_guid from the Kalyway 10.5.1 disk. And i only have the 10.5.2. disk.

Now i'm gonna try if i can find the boot_EFI_guid on TOH disk.

To find the efi boot package search here on the dvd: system > installation > packages > find the BOOT_efi_guid

Also if you open the dvd after you have used the dvd to startup the restored system you need to do the following in the terminal to see the hidden files:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

After that you need to relaunch the finder. See this site: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2784/os_x_s...mac_os_x_finder

There is also described how to hidden the files again.

• 3 weeks later...