Dell Studio 15 (1535) / Studio 17 (1735) OSx Install

tmaxxtim

33 posts in this topic

I was hoping I could eventually turn this thread into one like the M1330/M1530 threads, where all the drivers and everything are in one location. However it seems as though everything is VERY limited right now for this particular Dell. So if you have any ideas/drivers available to get this thing working post them here and I'll try to turn this thread into something. I have a Studio 17 I'm trying to get up and running using the available 2nd Hard drive. (BTW, if anybody needs the adapter to use a 2nd HDD in the Studio 17, I can link it here, its only about $11 on Dell's site).

Right now nobody can seem to get the following working:

Ethernet

Bluetooth

ATI HD 3650 Video

Audio

I read somebody got the wireless working, however I haven't been able to get it to work myself, maybe somebody else has better instructions or better luck. (Dell 1397 is the standard one that comes with the laptop unless you got the 1510-N option).

These are the basics, if we can get these working then people will actually use it, otherwise its kind of pointless to have OSx installed on your Studio laptop right now. I have a feeling some of the other fixes for the other Dell laptops may be able to get tweaked to work on these (such as media keys, etc.)

If anybody was wondering, the backlight keyboard seems to have some type of hardware control, not software, so it works just fine with the OS X Install

If people have files and need a place to host them, I'd be glad to setup that as well.

I've read somewhere that people have been able to get bluetooth and ethernet... i've heard that someone got the 1510 wireless working, that is my biggest concern right now. If i get wifi working i'll be happy. For audio right now I have been using an external bluetooth dongle and a wireless headset. works perfectly.

Hi,

You will be able to get wi-fi with mcsmart's trick = http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51725

My Dell studio laptop is the "mobility radeon HD 3450" one, i can not manage to make it work, i only get the native 10204x768 resolution, i've tryed differnts patches or strings etc... if someone has any ideas...

any other progress?

Hi,

You will be able to get wi-fi with mcsmart's trick = http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51725

My Dell studio laptop is the "mobility radeon HD 3450" one, i can not manage to make it work, i only get the native 10204x768 resolution, i've tryed differnts patches or strings etc... if someone has any ideas...

I havn't had any luck with that method...i have the 1510-n wireless card.

I got wi-fi working with 1397/1510 card on my studio 15; are you sure you used 0.5.1pre and not the default one that comes with Kalyway/iAtkos/whatever?

Also you should probably know that for the 1535 the video card isn't 3650, it's a 3450. Still no luck finding native drivers for it. Also waiting on sound.

Here are the "real" names for the drivers that don't work, maybe you can find something there?

Wi-Fi: Dell 1397/1510 Wireless. Actual name: Broadcom BCM4310/BCM4322

Ethernet: Broadcom Netlink BCM5784M

Bluetooth: Actually, I haven't done any research on this. Apparently it's a Dell Wireless 370. I don't actually know what the real name is.

Audio: IDT 92HD73C1 - doesn't roll off the tongue, does it?

Video: ATI HD 3450/3650 - self explanatory.

Also I believe that the RICOH 5-in-1 card reader doesn't work.

Although if you have a 3650 maybe you should try this topic: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107526

Hope that helps! Good luck to driver developers and finders alike. It seems like a lot of these onboard cards are just new or recent and don't have drivers yet...hopefully by next year we'll make some progress (because by then I'll be off at college)!

I got wi-fi working with 1397/1510 card on my studio 15; are you sure you used 0.5.1pre and not the default one that comes with Kalyway/iAtkos/whatever?

Also you should probably know that for the 1535 the video card isn't 3650, it's a 3450. Still no luck finding native drivers for it. Also waiting on sound.

Here are the "real" names for the drivers that don't work, maybe you can find something there?

Wi-Fi: Dell 1397/1510 Wireless. Actual name: Broadcom BCM4310/BCM4322

Ethernet: Broadcom Netlink BCM5784M

Bluetooth: Actually, I haven't done any research on this. Apparently it's a Dell Wireless 370. I don't actually know what the real name is.

Audio: IDT 92HD73C1 - doesn't roll off the tongue, does it?

Video: ATI HD 3450/3650 - self explanatory.

Also I believe that the RICOH 5-in-1 card reader doesn't work.

Although if you have a 3650 maybe you should try this topic: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107526

Hope that helps! Good luck to driver developers and finders alike. It seems like a lot of these onboard cards are just new or recent and don't have drivers yet...hopefully by next year we'll make some progress (because by then I'll be off at college)!

Thanks for your reply. I think what I might have done is applied the patch from the dvd as well as the one from the link..maybe that is the problem. When I have some time I'll reinstall. You have the 1397 or 1510?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply. I think what I might have done is applied the patch from the dvd as well as the one from the link..maybe that is the problem. When I have some time I'll reinstall. You have the 1397 or 1510?

Thanks again.

Actually, I think I have both. Don't quote me on that though.

Hi,

what are the chances that we'll get a close to perfect install here? I am thinking about getting a Studio 17, but I will definately need sound, bluetooth and WiFi. I know we can swap the WiFi cards out, but I would prefer not to do this on a new laptop!!

Thanks

Hi,

what are the chances that we'll get a close to perfect install here? I am thinking about getting a Studio 17, but I will definately need sound, bluetooth and WiFi. I know we can swap the WiFi cards out, but I would prefer not to do this on a new laptop!!

Thanks

Wi-Fi is available. Use the 0.5.1pre patch from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51725

Which install method did you who got OSx86 to work on your Studio laptops use.

In reference to my thread Here I couldnt get my install working. I tried kalyway, and am about to try iatkos.

I would like to try to get osx86 working this laptop and help develop drivers or at least try the beta drivers.

Which install method did you who got OSx86 to work on your Studio laptops use.

In reference to my thread Here I couldnt get my install working. I tried kalyway, and am about to try iatkos.

I would like to try to get osx86 working this laptop and help develop drivers or at least try the beta drivers.

I tried iatkos and it didn't work...kalyway worked nicely...but still trying to get internet working, sound, and graphics..

I added my system to the HCL for 10.5.2 here. If anyone wants to add/modify it they can, since its a wiki and all.

checked it out, I am shocked no one else has posted they own this computer... yours is the only one in the 10.5.X

Hopefully more will work in later releases!!!!

I have the Studio 1535 with the wireless N and and the 3450 Video with IDT sound. I installed off the Kalyway DVD with EFI and Vanilla and the install worked first try however I am anxiously awaiting someone to work on sound and Video drivers as I just got this and have had other releases work great on other systems but would love to be native on my Dell. The network also does not work but, I use this laptop for work mostly so I simply went back to the dark side for now until more gets fixed. Let's keep this alive.

• 1 month later...

My 1535 and vanilla kernel gets quite hot. The Fan is always on. It wasn't like that in Windows. I'm not sure if speedstep works... How can i find that out?

Are there any other sollutions to get the cpu cooler..

I also can't wait for a working graphic driver.

Thanks

Basti

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I recently tried this with my 1535, and obviously have the same issues as you. I tried iATKOS v1 about a million times with only success the first time. I tried Kalyway 10.5.2 but never got past the gray apple screen. I tried iATKOS v5 and had the same gray screen issue, but usually works. But still, Ethernet, Wifi, Audio, and correct Graphics bother me.

Luckily I had an extra USB Ethernet adapter kicking around so I got around that. But even that after a while began to {censored} out if I left the computer on for a while. I don't have the mini-n card, so the wireless trick helped me. I wish I could help others by reporting on the mini-n card. :)

Bluetooth claims not to work, but my Dell BT Keyboard and Mouse work immediately... and did so on even during the install. I have no other BT devices so I guess I'm set, or perhaps I can't test any futher. What I have noticed is that the scroll wheel on the mouse doesn't work -- anyone got a workaround for that? It's annoying.

As far as Audio, I'll try the fix that was linked in this post ASAP and report on my success/failure.

The graphics are bothering me, as I miss my native 1280x800. And how about support for the external VGA port? I know it's a reach but I miss my dual-head setup.

As far as other issues.... I don't know if this is tied to the graphics card, but the "Energy Saver" settings don't have any effect on my display, and the screen saver only works when I "test" it. And on that note, most of the screensavers don't even work when I attempt to preview them by selecting them from the list. And when I tie the screensaver or display to corners or buttons in Expose, they never work. (And I got "Lock Screen" to be in the menu bar, but that never works.)

Finally, it'd be nice to have support for my battery so I can go mobile with this now that I have wifi. And one final thought -- I've never noted the laptop getting hot, but I have noticed it running slower after being on for a while. Oh well.

For those of us with the wireless working, and potentially the audio, I guess the main hurdle remaining is graphics!

Let's see if I can't break down this post and help a bit.

Hey guys.

I recently tried this with my 1535, and obviously have the same issues as you. I tried iATKOS v1 about a million times with only success the first time. I tried Kalyway 10.5.2 but never got past the gray apple screen. I tried iATKOS v5 and had the same gray screen issue, but usually works. But still, Ethernet, Wifi, Audio, and correct Graphics bother me.

It might help to use iDeneb 10.5.5. That's what worked for me, and it seems to work well, too.

Luckily I had an extra USB Ethernet adapter kicking around so I got around that. But even that after a while began to {censored} out if I left the computer on for a while. I don't have the mini-n card, so the wireless trick helped me. I wish I could help others by reporting on the mini-n card. :(

There is actually a driver for the Ethernet card BCM5784M:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=963461

Bluetooth claims not to work, but my Dell BT Keyboard and Mouse work immediately... and did so on even during the install. I have no other BT devices so I guess I'm set, or perhaps I can't test any futher. What I have noticed is that the scroll wheel on the mouse doesn't work -- anyone got a workaround for that? It's annoying.

I can't help on this one-- I don't have a Bluetooth device at all that I can use to test if mine even has Bluetooth working.

As far as Audio, I'll try the fix that was linked in this post ASAP and report on my success/failure.

I just got tired of waiting and bought a USB headset, which works great! As for ridgeline's internal audio kext,I find that it works well, except the microphone doesn't seem to work for some reason although others have had no such problems. I don't get that.

The graphics are bothering me, as I miss my native 1280x800. And how about support for the external VGA port? I know it's a reach but I miss my dual-head setup.

As far as other issues.... I don't know if this is tied to the graphics card, but the "Energy Saver" settings don't have any effect on my display, and the screen saver only works when I "test" it. And on that note, most of the screensavers don't even work when I attempt to preview them by selecting them from the list. And when I tie the screensaver or display to corners or buttons in Expose, they never work. (And I got "Lock Screen" to be in the menu bar, but that never works.)

I have the Intel GMAX3100, the OTHER Studio 15 graphics card, which works fine with 10.5.5 in iDeneb, so I can't help too well with the ATI HD3450 Mobility that you probably have, and which I understand is being worked on.

Finally, it'd be nice to have support for my battery so I can go mobile with this now that I have wifi. And one final thought -- I've never noted the laptop getting hot, but I have noticed it running slower after being on for a while. Oh well.

For those of us with the wireless working, and potentially the audio, I guess the main hurdle remaining is graphics!

For the battery meter, try using Sonotone's Dell Post-Installer and selecting the Power Management pack: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=699667

Also, there is now an SD card reader kext located here if you didn't know: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=940660

Most of the information I got and any other information can most likely be found in this Boombeng post in the other Studio 15 thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry965834

Check it out and see if there's anything else you're missing!

Hi Bohsocks

Nice news about bluetooth!

I suppose you have the dell 370 bluetooth card, which is a broadcom BCM2046, could you give more details please, can you make it work with other stuffs than the dell keyboard ? did you try with an apple keyboard ? Do you have the bluetooth enabled in system preferences ?

I started a thread to compile info to work on dell 370 bluetooth card :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=966613

Maybe you can post your new info here,

thanks in advance

Thank you very much!

You guys are infinitely more helpful than the folks at the Ubuntu Forums when I have issues there. I'll get to work on the iDeneb and will try that out when my exams are done.

Otherwise, the audio thing now recognizes that I have built-in hardware, but it doesn't work. For the mouse scroll wheel, I resort to using an old wireless mouse that I had -- oh well. The graphics card I can be patient for, and I'm looking at the other fixes you suggested to me in your reply.

Awesome!

One other thing I haven't seen -- when watching like a YouTube video, it craps out after like 2 seconds. I move the thing manually to another spot in the video, and it runs.... for two seconds. Hmm.

One other thing I haven't seen -- when watching like a YouTube video, it craps out after like 2 seconds. I move the thing manually to another spot in the video, and it runs.... for two seconds. Hmm.

I don't have this problem anymore bur i used to, i don't remember very well but i think it's fixed if you choose ICHX fix with Ideneb or iatikos