iATKOS v4i upgrade to 10.5.5

kyung jae

23 posts in this topic

Taken from the link above..

1. First, download the update directly from Apple’s website. You can grab 10.5.5 at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1055update.html

2. Before you run the downloaded file, open up Terminal and type “sudo su -” without the quotes. Enter your user password and then type “while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done” without the quotes.

3. Keep this window open while you run the downloaded update and install it

4. Before you reboot, exit the Terminal script by holding down Ctrl and pressing X (Ctrl + X). Close Terminal and hit the button on the Update to reboot your computer.

5 Done

I haven't tested it..Please post your results if you try it..

This method didn't work with my Acer Aspire One. I've tried it 3 times with the given script and I get kernel panic about 1/3 of the way through. I'm using ToH 9.2 kernel. I think that is the problem. I can't run vanilla on it.

I'm gonna guess that this method wont work on anything but Vanilla right? So...i should not attempt an update w/ Speedstep?

I updated using this method on a toshiba p105-s6064 with the speed step kernel installed, and it did not work the first time for some reason, but after a reinstall it worked the second time around. Since I had to reinstall, I then decided I might as well go for the vanilla/EFI, which worked even more perfectly.

So to answer your question, yes, this worked with both speedstep kernel, and vanilla install on iATKOS4i

According 3rr0rists, DO NOT use combo update, use delta update 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 only.

I think that's why so many people with iATKos v4i screwed up!

Anyone with iATKos v4i successfully update to 10.5.5 with combo update?

Please share your method!

• 2 weeks later...

I failed to upgrade my acer aspire one to 10.5.5 too. my kernel is iatkos v.4 and download the update but not combo. followed the script, done the upgrade and closed terminal window. after reboot, it just reboots itself during the booting process. It is too quick to see the booting message to know the last step it goes.

Is anyone lucky enough to upgrade his acer one successfully?

I updated using this method on a toshiba p105-s6064 with the speed step kernel installed, and it did not work the first time for some reason, but after a reinstall it worked the second time around. Since I had to reinstall, I then decided I might as well go for the vanilla/EFI, which worked even more perfectly.

So to answer your question, yes, this worked with both speedstep kernel, and vanilla install on iATKOS4i

I uses combo update .. no issue at all. BTW, I also edit the dsmos.kext string..

this may be the failing issue.

I failed to upgrade my acer aspire one to 10.5.5 too. my kernel is iatkos v.4 and download the update but not combo. followed the script, done the upgrade and closed terminal window. after reboot, it just reboots itself during the booting process. It is too quick to see the booting message to know the last step it goes.

Is anyone lucky enough to upgrade his acer one successfully?

The update only good to vanilla system, make sure yours are compatible.

combo update worked for me. on iatkos v4i. had to do the 'while sleep 1 rm -rf blah' and also b4 a reboot change in: /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

Replace the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext with dsmos.kext

Restart and boot with -v, it'll do another reboot, then you'll be in.

i think the combo does that InstallAtStartup scripts and delta doesnt?

• 4 weeks later...

Am really stuck !!

I too have a Toshiba p105 but no luck

have tried this a half dozen times following the instructions

Each time I try to upgrade from iatkos 10.5.4 to 10.5.5,

I get to the point that I am asked to restart the computer,

but my touchpad and keyboard are now frozen

and there is no way to enter the terminal window i have left open.

I wanted to have access to Windows,

so I installed my XP SP3 Media Edition first,

then partitioned my hard drive to create a Mac partition,

then installed iatkos 10.5.4 without any options ticked.

When I tried some options like kernel 9.2, it wouldn't boot at all.

On my system MUST use the enable Usb keyboard legacy in BIOS or the touchpad won't work

What does "vanilla" mean with respect these installations & upgrades?

Does it mean without any options?

Does this only work on a hard drive without any Windows already installed?

Any suggestions appreciated

• 2 months later...