New updates broke my machine

wallydisc

10 posts in this topic

I am running a intell quad core on a Gigabyte S sereies mobo GA-G31M-S2L. I have a Nvida 8600 video card. I installed using Kalyway and it has been working great.

I tried to install the latest updates including 10.5.5 and Front row as well as a couple others. Midway through the install my my machine gave me the "you need to restart your computer" error; at which point I went "{censored}." I restarted and the error came back. "{censored}"

I am quite new to this and am not sure how to start to fix this thing.

I hope I have provided enough information. If not, I am more then willing to give more, but if you want to just toss ideas at me that's great too. I have heard that maybe deleting some kext files is one root but i am not sure how to do that.

Thanks.

10.5.5 broke my machine too

Was happily using a kalway 10.5.2 which was successfully updated to 10.5.3 (patched) and 10.5.4 (direct) after which i had to use the update -v command line before it booted to mac. Now with the most recent 10.5.5 direct update kernel call (panic) what ever that means and I am stuck with a black screen with some text which is beyond my comprehension ;)

I have used -v -x -F reboot -v -x reboot all the other options but still not able to logon. Incidentally the update had stopped at 22 % for more than 2 hours after which I had to press reset.

"Is there a way I can recover my mac drive?"

915 board

P4 3 Ghz

1 gig ram

Dual boot XP and Mac

(primitive config but worked fine for my applications)

Please help me

Well what i am gonna do is throw another hard drive in and install the os to that one too. Once that one works i can maybe use it to fix the other broke drive by installing the update properly.

For losthero. I would take the vista drive out (if it is on a separate drive). Then maybe do the same.

This thread is an example of what happens when you act without thinking & reading it through first. You can't just update a typical "distro" install with software update or the delta or combo updates & expect it to work. Read elsewhere on the forum and you will see that doing so loads at least one undesirable kext (appleintelcpupowermanagement) and a new kernel. The further from "vanilla" you are, the more things there are to go wrong. The former needs removing or disabling, the latter requires vanilla-capable hardware and an "efi-style" bootloader. These messed-up installs can almost always be fixed by following the simple procedure of booting -v & seeing where it panics, followed by booting the dvd and using terminal to remove the offending kext. once you get back to a state where it boots to desktop, run the updater again, this time taking the proper precautions to stop it messing up on your particular hardware.

What is the path to the evil kext of badness?

its /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext

but if you are doing it fromthe install disc you have to add

/Devices/(Name of Hardrive, mine is "Leopard")/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext

If you do a reinstall then follow this guide before you install the update..

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107340

Ok, I did the other hdd drop in and I am redownloading the 10.5.5 update. Hopefully that fixes my broke drive.

I got a feeling that the half install borked the thing pretty hard and an reinstall should fix a bit of it.

It didn't take a boot loader. I just had to tell my bios which hdd i wanted to boot from.

I tried blowing away that one kext but instead of telling me that the computer needed a restart when i rebooted it just sat there with "the gray apple and a pin wheel." Sounds like a country song.

If not, i can still get to my files. That's good.

yea if you download the update from your second hardrive (call it Leopard2) and tell it to install to Leopard1 from your Leopard2 installation, it should install fine, then you just go back and delete the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext and it should boot after that. unless you aren't running a vanilla system, such as your mach kernel and smbios or anything like that, you might need to replace those with whatever you were using before to get it to boot