OK, make me a believer

SquireSCA

32 posts in this topic

Weird. I am going to try a different approach. I am reinstalling the OS from scratch.

I do not plan to do the Kalyan 10.5.3 upgrade manually this time. I will try to let the OS update itself.

Question is, on the clean install, should I use the vanilla 9.2 kernel, or the kernel_922_kabyl?

I ask, because kabyl says for Intel 64bit and SSE3, which I have. If I use Vanilla, will I lose 64bit and not be able to access all of my 6GB of RAM like what happens in Windows if you use 32bit instead of 64?

Again, sorry for the multitude of dumb questions, but I am really trying to give this a shot at working. :-)

I decided to do the vanilla kernel, and once I booted into the OS, I told software update to do it's update to 10.5.5 to see what would happen if I didn't monkey around with anything else.

Nope, that hosed the OS again. LOL

Was 48% installing the update, and the screen grayed out and said that I had to reset the system by holding down the power button. HD activity halted, keyboard stopped responding.

So I did, and it screwed the OS up again.

Might be easier to just go get a real Mac, eh? :-)

Try these original steps (from netkas) the next time you update

• install again with vanilla kernel and EFI.
  • download 10.5.5 combo update
  • run the script (provided in the link above)
  • start the installation of the combo update
  • when installer said it's done, don't restart yet, follow the startup script editing instruction (in the link above)
  • restart

NOTE: it won't continue to load the UI in the first OS load. it will try to restart.

Try these original steps (from netkas) the next time you update

• install again with vanilla kernel and EFI.
  • download 10.5.5 combo update
  • run the script (provided in the link above)
  • start the installation of the combo update
  • when installer said it's done, don't restart yet, follow the startup script editing instruction (in the link above)
  • restart

NOTE: it won't continue to load the UI in the first OS load. it will try to restart.

Ok, cool. One question before I attempt this. Is there any downside to just installing Leopard with the Vanilla 9.2 kernel and updating all software but leaving the OS itself alone at 10.5.2?

Ok, I simply did the Kalyan 10.5.2 install, left the version alone, using vanilla kernel, and updating and tweaking everything else to get it the way I want it.

I will wait for a Kalyan hacked 10.5.5 install DVD and upgrade then, unless I stumble across an idiot-proof way to update this box without trashing everything.

Thanks for the help, I am liking it so far!

I have pretty much decided that my next machine will be a Mac.

I will cannibalize this rig and put the innards into a smaller case and make a kickass media PC for the home theater.

OSX is fast and stable. I have zero experience(but some Linux experience), and I am pretty much just picking it up. Few hiccups, but that is due to me runnng a hacked OS on a machine it was not really designed for.

I like how it installs apps. You click on an app on a web page, and it automagically downloads it and installs it and tells you where to put the icon.

Getting into all the system settings is cake. The eye candy is superb.

And when you install apps, there are not hundreds of files and all that. it comes in a nice little package. You click on it, and it does the rest.

There are also lots of cool free apps, just like Linux, but these generally seem to have a much higher level of polish. Need a DVD player or burner app? No need to buy one, and they are not the cheesy little shareware apps you usually get with Windows.

So all in all, I am pleased, and I think that for Xmas, one of those 8 core processor Mac Pro's will be a present to myself, with a 30" display.

I still think that Windows is superior for gaming, and I think that it is generally easier to use. Here, you install something and you have to go in from a command line and use scripts and stuff that is not intuitive.

Couple things that I don't like, is how the extra buttons on the mouse do not work the way I want. I have a Logitech MX510 laser gamer mouse with several buttons. In Windows, I like having the thumb button as the "go back" key in a browser or folder, rather than having to move the mouse all the way across the screen every time to hit the back button.

That is really annoying actually, it really slows down browsing...

So Steve Jobs has no fear... My stealing a copy of Leopard, will in the end get me buying his computers.

Now I need to really start tweaking this system and setting it up. Not gonna update the version or kernel until I see a fool proof way of doing it.

And I guess that most common apps like Office, Photoshop and all that stuff, has Mac versions or can be run through VMware.

So I guess that if you don't do a lot of cutting edge games, it is pretty much ideal.

Although for a general purpose machine, the cost is way higher than what a comparable powered Dell would cost you, but there is always the iMac.

Ok, if I could indulge you folks one last time...

I seem to only have one of my 4 cores running. I am not concerned with what the tag in the "About this Mac" line says, but in system monitor, I am actually only seeing one core recognized.

I am searching on how to address this, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would rock.

Thanks!