8GB RAM Asus p5w dh Leo

9 posts in this topic

Im currently building a hackintosh, which I will be using for some heavy audio editing, and as such want to shove in 8GB ram.

Now I know this is a huge amount, but 1 - I can afford it, 2 - This is gonna be used for some insane mixing under Logic, to the extent where a Dual Core iMac with 4gb ram didnt have enough power to cope with automation etc.

So I ask, will 8GB ram work with the following hardware and setup?

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 Ghz

160 GB SATA 1.6Gb/s HD

PowerColor HD 2600 PRO 512MB DDR2 Dual DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card

OCZ 8GB PC2-6400C5 (4x2GB) 800MHz Quad Channel Platinum Low Latency XTC Series DDR2

Mac OS X 10.5.2 Kalyway

Thanks

Ash

Q:

How much ist the max GB limit to work well also with IDE/SATA mix.

3 GB or 4 GB ? I have 2 GB and maybe buy one 1 GB Kit , but using an mix of SATA and IDE hds (never had problems with 2 GB).

The ones I have seen with the problem are at >= 4gb with some can getting around it using the maxmem= line when booting at 3456 or less mb so the 3gb hopefully will work for you as the limit seems to be at the 3.2 to 3.5gb your board will show when using a 32bit OS once crossed then the problems if any begin.

RTFM GUYS

YOUR ALL WRONG

if you read the insanelymac asus p5w threat page 5

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...68453&st=80

all the things you nead to know about bios settings for 4GB+ is on the bottem of the page

on page 6 there are bios screen shots of the bios on how to get sleep mode working if you where even thinking of asking. next time dont anser 1/2 true just link the truth.