Boot-132 Dual-Booting Retail Leopard & WinXP

42 posts in this topic

This is a well written guide, and though I am glad that it appears to work for everyone...

What if when you try to boot Windows XP it says "Calling chainloader" and then hangs, even though you followed the instructions perfectly?

And when I switch the Windows partition to active I get "Error loading operating system".

The version of Windows I'm trying to install is SP3, does this make a difference?

I just want to reiterate that I followed the instructions exactly as they are written.

Thanks...

i've succeed dual boot: os x retail and win 7 on my msi wind (triple booting actually with linux mint 6)

but i got "error encountered while starting up the computer" message while boot os x on boot132

how to fix this?

Hey Monkey_@@ did you follow the instructions and make Partition1 Fat32 or NTFS... I can not get Vista to load on Fat32.. I have Vista Ultimate... I want to set this system up to run leopard for norm stuff and pic's and Vista for Games.... moving from AMD to Intel Quad core CPU... big move for my gaming...

I'm using GPT disk (not MBR) and NTFS partition for Vista 64-bit, and yes, Vista does NOT run in FAT32 as far as I know...

If you are using 2 HD I suggest you to use MBR and NTFS for Vista Ultimate and GPT and HFS+ for Mac, it should be simple to do that!

i've succeed dual boot: os x retail and win 7 on my msi wind (triple booting actually with linux mint 6)

but i got "error encountered while starting up the computer" message while boot os x on boot132

how to fix this?

First thing to do is press F8 while in Darwin and boot with -v in order to find where is this error coming from...

Bravo for your work and sharing the knowledge with all!

I am preapering to install with this method and i want to ask 2 questions before i start maybe noob ones but anyway:

1. is it a MUST to prepare a self-booting (Retail) Leopard DVD Installer (boot-132 + retail leopard dvd installer into 1) OR i can use my retail DVD with boot132 cd with swaping them?

2. can i restore the USB-Boot-132 Loader in other partition (not second) for example 3rd and install retail mac on 4th or 5th partition??

3.Is there something plus modifcations needed after install to update to 10.5.6 ?

Thank you in advance ! :)

Pero

ok...nobody.. :) i have installed Retail 10.5.4 with mbr support on MBR part num 3 :D ;

the secont partition is clone of boot132usb and my first is Windows XP

I have updated it to 10.5.6 but i have drivers(kext) problem... :P

i tried many kext acording to my hardware to put to boot132 part in the extension folder

but i cant make my keyoboard network card and audio to work!!! so i need HELP!! :(

My hardware spec are:

ASUS P5K SE -board

Core2Duo 2.33 Ghz with 2gb ram <---(recognized OK)

Attansic L1-lan

Realtek 883 HD-audio

NVIDIA 8500GT 512-<---(recognized OK)with NVKUSH

DVD works no problem..

-when i load in -x(safe) mode network workss!! when loading normaly it doesnt!

-during install keyboard worked! now it doesnt! :( PLEASE HELP WHY?

i tried installing attansicl1.kext with kexthelper directly in leopard and after that i cant

load my Leopard in any mode!!!! i

Please somebody help with my kext how to set up my boot132 partition kexts and did i made

a mistake installing kext directly in leopard !!!>????

One more thing i had fully working installation of Ideneb 10.5.5 Leopard and everything worked allright

why doesnt work retail?? where do i mistake??

ok...nobody.. :( i have installed Retail 10.5.4 with mbr support on MBR part num 3 :D ;

the secont partition is clone of boot132usb and my first is Windows XP

I have updated it to 10.5.6 but i have drivers(kext) problem... :)

According to your post earlier, "is it a MUST to prepare a self-booting (Retail) Leopard DVD Installer (boot-132 + retail leopard dvd installer into 1) OR i can use my retail DVD with boot132 cd with swaping them?"

Which method did you use?

According to your post earlier, "is it a MUST to prepare a self-booting (Retail) Leopard DVD Installer (boot-132 + retail leopard dvd installer into 1) OR i can use my retail DVD with boot132 cd with swaping them?"

Which method did you use?

I used this method on this topic but i suggest not to use because u wont manage to update and solve the kext problem + no help around here...

Bravo for your work and sharing the knowledge with all!

I am preapering to install with this method and i want to ask 2 questions before i start maybe noob ones but anyway:

1. is it a MUST to prepare a self-booting (Retail) Leopard DVD Installer (boot-132 + retail leopard dvd installer into 1) OR i can use my retail DVD with boot132 cd with swaping them?

2. can i restore the USB-Boot-132 Loader in other partition (not second) for example 3rd and install retail mac on 4th or 5th partition??

3.Is there something plus modifcations needed after install to update to 10.5.6 ?

Thank you in advance ! :thumbsdown_anim:

Pero

i'd suggest u visit this other thread: Boot-132 MacLoader w/ EFI-strings Support.

1. it's not a must to prepare a self-booting leopard dvd installer.

2. see above link.

3. see above link.

good luck.

well i did it .. now i have full working retail mac leopard 10.5.6 :thumbsup_anim:

i have triple boot winXPsp3 ;ideneb 10.5.5; and retail mac 10.5.6 with pc efi on 1 hard disk-mbr

and guess what? my ideneb is on Logical partition not primary :thumbsdown_anim: i havent read so far that somebody has installed it on (extended)logical....anyway..

i use small partition 400mb with kext to load them as a boot partition

• 2 weeks later...

<h3 style="font-size: 20px;">MACinized, I just wanted to say thank you. I followed your guide exactly and everything worked perfectly (confirming this works). Also, I spent (many) sleepless nights figuring out how to dual boot retail leopard and xp on one disk. The other guides were all for two disks, or non-retail os x. So, as far as I know, this is the only guide on the site that works for this situation.

</h3>

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am planning on having dual boot Xp and Leo. I already have a retail dvd. My question: is it important to have 123-bootcd and retail to be merged? Why do we need that?

Can I use just the regular retail dvd if I am planning to be using Acronis Os Selector?

Also, I already have Xp installed, I don't wanna mess with reinstalling it, or will I have to?

Thank you in advance.....

I've read some tutorials on dual booting with retail mac os dvd. And they all say that I should have one more small partition for boot cd. And that my retail dvd should be merged with boot cd into one disk. Is that the only way to accomplish dual booting? Or is there even a simpler way to do that? Also I have acronis image of my XP partition, and I have all my data backed up on external hard drive. I also have Acronis OS selector which I can install anytime. And I am planning to have only 3 partitions.

So here is my plan:

Format the whole drive into 3 partitions again using disk utility and setup GUID, then install Mac Os using Retail DVD to the second partition. Then restore xp image using acronis to the first partition(I think by doing so it will overwrite MBR). Then use OS selector to manage the bootloader. This is the simplest possible way I could think of, but will it work?

Hi everyone,

I just have one question which is; Is this setup can be considered as retail?:-

Boot-132 + iPC 10.5.6

iPC DVD was use as retail installation media where during installation, no hacked/patched kexts/drivers selected. All necessary (patched) kext is placed inside INITRD.IMG on Boot-132 partition. This setup was done on one disk (MBR) with vista as dual-boot. If it can be considered as retail setup, I will update my signature.

Retail Mac OS X 10.5.6 is not in my possession yet. It will be use to install on another laptop.

Thank you. :)

kizwan

Hi everyone,

I just have one question which is; Is this setup can be considered as retail?:-

Boot-132 + iPC 10.5.6

iPC DVD was use as retail installation media where during installation, no hacked/patched kexts/drivers selected. All necessary (patched) kext is placed inside INITRD.IMG on Boot-132 partition. This setup was done on one disk (MBR) with vista as dual-boot. If it can be considered as retail setup, I will update my signature.

Retail Mac OS X 10.5.6 is not in my possession yet. It will be use to install on another laptop.

Thank you. :(

kizwan

nope.

nope.

That setup actually for practice & P.O.C. :)

I have successfully install retail Leopard 10.5.6 using retail Mac OS X 10.5.6 DVD on my Acer Aspire 3680. I'm using your Boot-132 usb (of course with my own kexts in the INITRD.IMG) to boot & install Leopard 10.5.6. I'm using combination of your guide & munky's guide. I create two partition on external hard disk (MBR); BOOT132USB restored to first partition & retail Mac OS X 10.5.6 DVD restored to second partition. After that, boot with external hard disk, format internal hard disk to GUID partition table & install. All is going well & I'm able to boot the retail OS X using your BOOT132USB. For final step, I use munky's guide so that I can boot using EFI partition.

Thank you for the guide & BOOT132USB. I really appreciate it. :)

kizwan

That setup actually for practice & P.O.C. :)

I have successfully install retail Leopard 10.5.6 using retail Mac OS X 10.5.6 DVD on my Acer Aspire 3680. I'm using your Boot-132 usb (of course with my own kexts in the INITRD.IMG) to boot & install Leopard 10.5.6. I'm using combination of your guide & munky's guide. I create two partition on external hard disk (MBR); BOOT132USB restored to first partition & retail Mac OS X 10.5.6 DVD restored to second partition. After that, boot with external hard disk, format internal hard disk to GUID partition table & install. All is going well & I'm able to boot the retail OS X using your BOOT132USB. For final step, I use munky's guide so that I can boot using EFI partition.

Thank you for the guide & BOOT132USB. I really appreciate it. :)

kizwan

that's good to hear.

enjoy being part of the OSx86 community.