Delete stuff to make minimalist Leopard install

~pcwiz

11 posts in this topic

Some of you may have heard that I am making a new OSx86 distro called "iPC Live" and it will be a dual layer DVD distro due to the fact that it has a Leopard LiveDVD at the core, so you can play Chess or load and use your own apps from a thumb drive while the install is running :D Anyways, I've gotten the LiveDVD portion down to about 4.8GB from 6.5GB by:

1) Deleting Dictionaries

2) Deleting unused fonts

3) Deleting all speech voices except default one

4) Deleting unused wallpapers

5) Trimming the PPC binaries from apps and removing all languages except English

What more can I do? The bulk of the weight of the DVD seems to be in the Frameworks. What useless stuff can I delete without affecting functionality?

Thanks

Hi there, good sir! :) Is xcode the same as developers tools? I did a quick google and developers tools was something that came up. I'm sure you've already been there, done that.

There must be any number of redundent pdf, text, graphics and sound files that you could take out?

Aside from consulting the Leo4all and iATKOS folks, the guys who developed products to slim down Windows XP and Vista must have considered the commercial value of doing the same for OS X - maybe drop them an email? There must be some slimming obsessed forum community out there like there were for XP, though possibly not in English?

I am constantly knocked out by your work, making the sidewalks safe for the little guy! :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...