N/A

Guest Anonymous.

14 posts in this topic

From what I remember, it wont pick it up. It needs to be unpartitioned, or something like Fat32

Here's what I'd suggest. Burn a copy of GParted, and resize your NTFS partition so that you have free space at the end of it, and format that space to Fat32. Then boot up your Leopard disc, and see if it shows. If it does, then you can format it from Fat32 to HFS+ and then you'll be on your way. As a bonus, you'll still be able to boot into your Windows partition, provided you did the resize option in GParted

I'm hoping for an answer to this too as I'm in the same position, SATA HD in RAID1 config but there are other SATA HDs in the case that aren't RAID and nothing shows up, not even the DVD drives. I'm about to try the GParted trick but not holding too much hope of it working.

I've got an Asus P5W-DH and 3x Western Digital drives inside.

OK, I really think OS X doesn't support VIA chipset. It's a not a partitioning issue as much as a driver issue. OS X cannot see your hard disk because no driver means no communication. I could be wrong though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay so I burnt my Leopard install disc, and I get to the stage of the install where I need to go to Disk Utility and format my HDD for Leopard.

The thing is, my hard drive doesn't show up in the left hand panel in DU :( The only thing that shows up is the CD that I'm booting from. Any ideas why?

All help appreciated. I have a feeling I may have done something wrong along the line.

Intel Celeron 1.73ghz (I've checked and SSE2 and SSE3 are both supported)

1GB RAM

VIA Chrome9 HC IGP Video Card

VIA High Definition Audio UAA

VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

... and some random Belkin wireless USB adapter.

If you have VIA chipset devices.....perhaps your MOBO is too......the MOBO Northbridge and Southbridge chips sets are a key piece of information for knowing what is needed for installing OS X......check out this thread (theStevo 4.5 patch)..... :)

Since you're not sure if your HD is SATA or IDE, look inside the case. A wide band cable means IDE and a skinny (usually red/orange) cable means SATA.

If you truly have a SATA HD, you may need to set it to AHCI mode in your BIOS, if there is the option. You could try IDE mode for SATA, or RAID... basically try experimenting with SATA modes.

VIA chipsets can be tricky. I know Leo4Allv3 has VIA support — you may wanna try that disc.

Based on the rest of your computer specs, I assume your optical drive is IDE. You may have an issue with VIA IDE, like I did, where it will install and hang when it reads "Time remaining: less than a minute." This is because the IDE channel disappears post-install or while the installer is finishing up. You may want to invest in a SATA optical drive — my experience is they are more OS X friendly.

This assumes your SATA works, however. Experiment with your SATA settings and see what kind of results you get.

i have the same problem, i'm using ideneb v1.1 10.5.4 , mobo with ati 780g chipset (SB700),radeon hd 2600pro, HDD is SATA2 and dvd-rw is ata(should be sata too,but ata was delivered by mistake) and in the disk utility neither of these drives are there. I tried everything with paritions,but i think it's not the case because mac os x can see HDD as hardware device. after googlink a bit i found out that maybe i need to change smth with IOATA and ACHI, but i have no idea what that means and where to look at. Thanks for the help .

The thing is, I can't find any SATA options/setting in my BIOS... what exactly should I be looking for?

Look under Advanced...... or under Onboard....... or similar menu tabs.......then for Serial ATA Controller.....IDE Controller......etc. Layout and location depends on the BIOS but SATA and IDE (PATA) if they have setting options it will be pretty obvious...... ^_^

ok, i changed sata mode to achi, mac os likes it and detects hdd, i installed it, but vista don't like it and reboot just after boot, if i put back sata vista boots up normally. But mac os never booted, even after installation windows vista started to boot. I added mac os to chain0 or smth like that (i followed totorial) but still no sign of mac os on my computer. PS i did't do smth with darwin boot before the installation because in the utility tab it wasn't there

ok, i changed sata mode to achi, mac os likes it and detects hdd, i installed it, but vista don't like it and reboot just after boot, if i put back sata vista boots up normally. But mac os never booted, even after installation windows vista started to boot. I added mac os to chain0 or smth like that (i followed totorial) but still no sign of mac os on my computer. PS i did't do smth with darwin boot before the installation because in the utility tab it wasn't there

Vista needs to have AHCI driver enabled before you make the BIOS switch.....see here........ :(