"Speed test: Google Chrome beats Firefox, IE, Safari"

BBrown

9 posts in this topic

FF is my browser, and I will never switch. Chrome may be faster than FF, but you cannot customize it even close to what you can do with FF.

You are right that you cannot cusomize chrome like FF. Some people prefer speed over customization, so I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a browser. Keep in mind that this browser was just released and will evolve over time. My guess is that over time it will be updated by Google to allow for customization. Also, there is really no need to switch. In OSX I have Safari, Camino, FireFox, and Opera installed, I monkey around with all of these as I please and can even run them all at the same time without conflict. In Vista, I have Safari, Opera, and Chrome installed and I can run them all at the same time or seperately. Although some may consider it redundant to have so many browsers installed, it is a good way for me to test and compare the different browers side by side to see which I prefer and which meets my needs best. Hell! I can even use different browsers as the situation arises. It gives me the best of all worlds.

The speed of loading JS in a browser is on such a minute scale that the "HUGE" difference that is suggested is not all that apparent to the human user.

For example, I cleared everything from Firefox 3, Internet Explorer 7, and Google Chrome. I then proceeded to use Webcourses@UCF which is ran entirely of JS on each browser and tried to time it. Result: the difference and loading speeds were so minimal that timing and comparing them on a second by second basis is almost impossible.

In all I am just trying to say that this is a simple marketing ploy by Google and should be taken with a grain of salt. (This is coming from a person who is a Marketing minor at UCF with a GPA of a 3.9 just so you know...)

Cody

• 3 weeks later...