Any Visualists onboard?

adrock42

12 posts in this topic

Are there any Visualists (VJ for laymen) on this board. My original reason for embarking on this quest was because nothing I owned would run serato scratch live with the video sl plugin. At least not very well.

I'm thinking about putting a rackmount hack together for gigs. I like the idea of having the expandability of a tower rather then a laptop. thoughts?

Right now I am running VDMX mostly with an M-Audio Oxygen 8, and have used the video sl patch a little. I just played with a Pioneer DVJ-1000. SUPER PIMP!!! but also SUPER EXPENSIVE!!! so I am looking into serato, final vinyl, or this new MixEmergency, but also highly considering Ms. Pinky's and MaxMSP / Jitter. thoughts?

Does anyone even know what I am talking about?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Are there any Visualists (VJ for laymen) on this board.

Does anyone even know what I am talking about?

I have a slightly idea about what you do, I just started to visualize my music by using Arkaos GrandVJ rewired to Ableton Live. I have realized that some of the serious VJs using Max/MSP and there a are some user oriented (wannaBeVJ) solutions like Cell, which is based on Max/MSP.

With GrandVJ I have an easy to use but full featured "virtual visual instrument" with samples (clips and pix) synthesizer (based on flash movies) and fx in realtime. A new dimension of multimedia creation.

But VJs are rare at this time, thx for point me to VDMX5.

Well after long time searching finally find visualist...

GREAT !! :D

i got a Hackintosh running iATKOS 4. 10.5.4

Intel GMAX 3100 144 mb

2GB DDR2 667

IntelCore 2 Duo 2.16

running Modul8, and it's great, for live video mixing, also i ran ProVideoPlayer

for misc visualwork...

i was very scared coz , back in the day i read post from f***** people sayng

that Hackintoshes can't run Visual software for a DRM issue, luckyly that's bull****

so i've enjoy put visuals in parties, festivals, i make my own video loops

in modul8...

So let's start a new group or something

Greets and CHEERS

• 1 month later...

The outlaw vjs. I'm having problems actually getting the video out of my hack. I need a DVI-I to video of some sort. Apple dongle does not work. Anyways I haven't taken the hack out as I bought a MBP. But I was thinking about it just for recording reasons. Defiantly Max/MSP and Jitter are the top, but PureData and Gem are free too. I've just been using designs in Quartz Composer, which works pretty well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi adrock42, I'm a VDMX user from v2 and use a hack =>

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz) 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache Processor

Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 HyperX Memory Non-ECC CL5

PowerColor HD 2600XT 256MB DDR4 Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

19" 4U short form rack case

19" 4U rack flight case

Everything works fine but I have some ongoing problems with the dual head card and audio.

i'm interested in using modul8/vdmx5 on a hackintosh system so i'm glad to hear some positive results

i couldn't get it running on my hackintosh tablet but that might be a gfx driver issue or something.

p.s. for visualists running hackintoshes, i'd recommend vvvv for windows :) if you want to do anything complicated like you might in max/msp/jitter or quartz, vvvv packs the most features with a slicker implementation. as for more plug n play, i'd like to get into modul8 or vdmx so am interested to see what they offer. hopefully vvvv will become universal sometime so that the mac people can get in on the love.

Just got the audio input working again so I can sync the clips! Having to use a PC to Video converter for my projector output when testing but will use a HD/VGA cable for the live work. Not tested modul8 on this box but I guess it will work, as for vvvv it looks cool but VDMX is a powerful tool so I will stick with that for the moment. VDMX on the hack is easily working with 1080 clips.

i'm interested in using modul8/vdmx5 on a hackintosh system so i'm glad to hear some positive results

i couldn't get it running on my hackintosh tablet but that might be a gfx driver issue or something.

p.s. for visualists running hackintoshes, i'd recommend vvvv for windows :) if you want to do anything complicated like you might in max/msp/jitter or quartz, vvvv packs the most features with a slicker implementation. as for more plug n play, i'd like to get into modul8 or vdmx so am interested to see what they offer. hopefully vvvv will become universal sometime so that the mac people can get in on the love.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi People,

I'm Mudo from Barcelona and Active user at Ms. Pinky forums.

There are two ways to integrate Ms. Pinky into VDMX: The easy and the powerfull.

The easy is using the last Maxipatch version which sends midi (and OSC) output data.

Vinyl > maxipatch > VDMX learn = video layering scratch.

The powerfull is integrating the vinyl tracking object into VDMX (both are Maxmsp) and forget maxipatch.

An intermediate solution will be write a patch/library which "listen" timecode and "spoke" midi (like maxipatch but without the other features included into VDMX or any kind of Max compatible software... like Ableton Live 8)

:)

If anybody want to talk about it, write me an email or PM and I will share you my skype.

Enjoy (and share please)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

hey!

Nice to find vjs on this board.

I am a vj from Austria performing at drum&bass and techno events for five years now.

All these years I have been using towers because of the power they have, but after more than a hundred gigs in and around Austria I am tired of carrying around 30 kilos of equipment.

When I decided to buy a laptop, I went towards Mac since Modul8 is my favorite simple video channel mixing software out there - and it is only available for mac.

Now that the MacBooks got refreshed I thought okay lets do it. But 1600eur for a 15,4 inch i5 4gb ram 5400rmp hdd Notebook? There is no way I am going that much money for such weak hardware :/

So I went out there and found a company in germany that builds customized gamer systems.

The system I came up with:

Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6 GHz

Intel PM55 Mainboard

4096 MB RAM DDR3-1333 MHz

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 - 1024 MB gddr3

15,6 inch 1920x1080 glossy led display

500gb 7200rpm hdd

For a total of 1050eur....

All I need now is a way to prevent the glossy display from reflecting the clublights into my eyes,

a laptop stand to prevent beer death (my white MacBook died that way) and a SSD to match the harddisk speed to the overall system speed.

AND

I need OSX. This is why I am here. I am not shure the Mainboard and the Graphics card will work though... They are not listed in the osx86 database.

We will see if I ever will manage to get my hackintosh vj performance machine to work..

• 6 years later...

running Modul8, and it's great, for live video mixing, also i ran ProVideoPlayer

Well this certainly sounds promising! But, a little out-dated, now.

I'm working on a new build, specifically for this purpose. I have the machine running, with two issues:

1) Every time I boot in, the nVidia icon in the menu bar shows the checkmark on the internal graphics card. It allows me to check the WebDriver option and reboot, and then nothing changes. Every time.

2) Likely related, when I run ProVideoPlayer, videos just sit frozen and don't play -at all. If I click pause-play, it skips a frame, but does not play.

Anyone actually running PVP2 on a hackintosh? I'd like to know!