Suggest for building hackintosh (+1300$ budget)

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

i'm new here, i'm very sorry starting my adventure here buggin you for information like this .. i hope in the future i could me more "usefull"

I'm a traditional mac user, owner of a mac book pro, actually for work i have to buy a desktop pc and first i focused my attention on a macpro, but i don't really have all that money (and i can't sell any organs ;D ), so i discovered the hackintosh project and decide to split to the dark side of the force :D

I have a budget of 1300 dollars (that is more or less 900 euros). I'm quite a newbie on the hardware side so pls give me an help.

I'm from italy, and i'm looking for a store where to buy components, if i can pay it in dollars is better due to the exchange fee euro/dollar

I need a list of a compatible hardware:

here some info that could help you building up exactly what i need for.

I'm a graphic and web designer / developer.

So:

-need a power graphic card (don't do lots of 3d but sometimes i use maya and cinema 4d)

-i use 15h/day photoshop, illustrator and flash so here is where i would like to focus the force of the pc. Ram and Processor in abbundance.

-i need an expandable in future configuration (ok i know that 4gb is enought for now, but i would like to leave the door open to future upgrade)

- i don't really need a supa dupa sound card ... if i have to make music i'll use an extarnal audio card.

- i usually need two monitors (22inch each one); i just have the monitor :D

- i need a compatibility with my actually device that is (apple keyboard , mighty mouse, wacom tablet)

- don't need a wifi card, i can plug the hackintosh to the lan thru a ethernet cable ... but pls consider the wifi card as an option in the case the entire machine is under the budget.

- i need a cooler case, you know italy is the place of sun, pizza and mandolino and the temperature is very hot :D i don't really need a barbecue grill... but i don't need a niagara fall into the case to cool down the temperature, just some fan i think will be great

- i'm not a supercoller geek, so i don't need a 500w leds of hundreds colors.

- i'm not sure about this ... maybe there is the possibility to plug another graphic card for a parallel graphic card sistem, and 4 monitors control, but i don't really know how usefull it could be .. so if you have sugest about it you are really welcome.

- i don't use pc for game.

- i don't need a big hard disk, i prefear a faster one, i have backup storage in the lan for the storage services, the hd i need in this hackintosh it's just for the main project, with quickly acess time.

if you need more details i'll be happy to give you.

Least but not last, after build and finished my hachintosh, (hoping all will go well) , i will make a small present to the more helpfull user that will help me. (i underline that is a "small" ) but just a way of tnx you for the usefull help!

BEST

Snick

I haven't read everything but here is a good build for running osx86

Intel Q6600

nvidia 8800 GT

Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4

2 HDD in Raid 0

2*2Gb DDR2 from Crucial

A Coolermaster case like the CM 690, which is pretty decent for its price, no need to pay more.

PSU: Corsair M 520W

It should fit your budget.

I've put together a list of parts that are 100% supported. The below list are all the same parts as my build except the motherboard, as my board was discontinued. Actually wish my board had the 8 sata connectors as the below Gigabyte board....mine only has 6 sata connectors.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...ishListTitle=My

You can shop around for better prices, just newegg makes it so easy to make a list like this.

You'll see Vista 64 in the above list...Vista can be deleted or substituted with XP.

Also might want to upgrade the Quad Q6700 processor to the Quad Q9550 processor to match the above motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115041

I too run Photoshop, Lightroom and Dreamweaver many hours a day. Not one hiccup!

Sound works out of the box.

Did not include a hard drive in the list. Anything Seagate or Western Digital has my vote.

I've put together a list of parts that are 100% supported. The below list are all the same parts as my build except the motherboard, as my board was discontinued. Actually wish my board had the 8 sata connectors as the below Gigabyte board....mine only has 6 sata connectors.

i've seen no mention of the GA-X48-DS5 on the forums or the HCL. you can verify that all 8 sata ports work, though? how about RAID?

The GA-X48-DS5 is a new board but has the same Hackintosh supported specs as my EX38-DS4 board....such as:

Audio Chipset: Realtek ALC889A

South Bridge: Intel ICH9R

Lan (Ethernet): Realtek 8111C chip (My board has Realtek 8111B)

The only difference's that shouldn't be an issue:

North Bridge: Intel X48 (Mine is Intel EX38. If you do a search you'll find many successful builds with the X48 chip.)

8 Sata Ports (My board has 6 ports... all working) The Sata ports work via the Intel ICH9R chip which is 100% supported, so all 8 sata ports should work.

Not many boards support Hackintosh RAID. I think there's only a couple of boards out there that supports Hackintosh RAID. Forgot who makes them, but the boards are old. Easy work around is to get a RAID card.

Hope it helps!

Hi,

Old skool: P5W DH Deluxe or D975XBX2, Q6600, EVGA 8800GT, ram, HD, Optical, case, PS

a little newer: GA-965P-DS series, Q6600 (or some other C2 processor), 8800GT or some ATI (I don't know the compat of the new series), the rest is the same as above.

Newskool: haven't a clue.

I am in the design field as well. I spend most of my day in front of my mac. I have been using my MacBook Pro and 20-inch cinema display until yesterday when I finally finished my Hackintosh. I built this thing cheap to see how functional it was going to be. I now have some upgrade ideas, for the next build.

I am running an intel E8500 processor (not really into over-clocking). In most of the benchmarks I saw for Photoshop in Windows this processor seemed to be faster than the Q6600. I could not find Illustrator or InDesign benchmarks so I had to base most of my investigations on Photoshop and similar apps. The places where the Q6600 shined were in video and 3D software. For my uses I do not spend enough time in those apps to make me want the Q6600. The gains were not big enough in either way to make me want to go there, unless I was over-clocking. The price point of the 8500 is really strong right now for dual core. $190 on newegg.

As for the board, I picked up a cheap Asus P5K-VM to fit in an old micro ATX case. If I were to do this from scratch I would pick up an ATX board, something like the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R. It is not super expensive, but it had many of the features that I am looking for (Firewire 4 & 6 pin, 8 USB ports on the back, etc.). It is about $135 on newegg right now.

I had a X1900GT graphics card lying around from an old PC build. I decided to use it, probably the most time consuming part of my build. Actually it took me some serious google searching to find the answers I needed. It runs just fine now. However, if I knew how well this was going to run I would have put the money down for an 8800GT.

RAM, my board supports DDR2 1066. I bought some OCZ as it was the best value, I spent $90 for 4GB. I think the Gigabyte supports DDR2 1000 or 1200 I forget. But it is similar in price to the stuff I got.

I also picked up from newegg a 640GB Seagate hard disk. It is super fast, 32MB of cache, and only has two platters.

I used my old micro atx case. If I had planned this out more I would have gone with an ATX case something like the Antec Sonata, as it is a quiet case with a decent power supply.

Other things to think about too, SATA DVD drive. I went with a Pioneer 216, I have always had macs and Apple mainly used Pioneer and Sony drives in the PowerMac G5s. Support is good. Also the D-link bluetooth USB adapter works well, you have to apply an updater and it works perfectly (download it from apple). I also had a D-link wireless N card (DWA-542) that never work in windows XP or vista that is now working perfectly in Leopard (Kalyway) with out any additional drivers.

Best of luck to you, I am loving my investment.

The GA-X48-DS5 is a new board but has the same Hackintosh supported specs as my EX38-DS4 board....such as:

Audio Chipset: Realtek ALC889A

South Bridge: Intel ICH9R

Lan (Ethernet): Realtek 8111C chip (My board has Realtek 8111B)

The only difference's that shouldn't be an issue:

North Bridge: Intel X48 (Mine is Intel EX38)

8 Sata Ports (My board has 6 ports... all working) The Sata ports work via the Intel ICH9R chip which is 100% supported, so all 8 sata ports should work.

Not many boards support Hackintosh RAID. I think there's only a couple of boards out there that supports Hackintosh RAID. Forgot who makes them, but the boards are old. Easy work around is to get a RAID card.

Hope it helps!

any cheap RAID controller suggestions?

comparing the chipsets makes since. it looks like none of the Sorth Bridge ICH9R (where the SATA ports are) boards from Gigabyte support 16 MB of RAM -- this at least according to current stock at Newegg.com.

how about the the South Bridge ICH10R boards from Gigabyte with 16MB of RAM? they have a Intel P45 North Bridge. it seems like these are not as readily supported out of the box... unless you have a retail disk on hand as in this post. they have an additional RAID controller which is SiI5723 that i have not researched, but i think is probably problematic.

i am also wondering about Snow Leopard / OS X 10.6. which boards might be the best bets for the future, or if there's even a reason to worry about that now?

> how about the the South Bridge ICH10R boards from Gigabyte with 16MB of RAM?

From your link it looks like some are getting the South Bridge ICH10R working. Could be worth a shot?! Maybe! I'd wait on this until the install is perfected.

> any cheap RAID controller suggestions?

I could only find in my Bookmarks this saved link for the HighPoint ROCKETRAID 2302 card:

http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/partInfo/par...CFRkZHgodWwTTaA

Guess if you search this forum you'll find more info on the RAID card.

By the time Snow Leopard comes out it I'll build a new box!

I am running an intel E8500 processor (not really into over-clocking). In most of the benchmarks I saw for Photoshop in Windows this processor seemed to be faster than the Q6600. I could not find Illustrator or InDesign benchmarks so I had to base most of my investigations on Photoshop and similar apps. The places where the Q6600 shined were in video and 3D software. For my uses I do not spend enough time in those apps to make me want the Q6600. The gains were not big enough in either way to make me want to go there, unless I was over-clocking. The price point of the 8500 is really strong right now for dual core. $190 on newegg.

For a few bucks more you could buy the Quad Core Q6600. Photoshop, for many operations, will use all four cores. Even if an app is not multi core enabled the OS will use the free/additional cores. So more is always better. Lightroom will use all four cores too.

Also...

I ran the Retouch Artists Photoshop Speed Test over at:

http://www.retouchartists.com/pages/speedtest.html

My test speed tied for the fastest time at 23 seconds using CS3. I don't even have a RAID or 10,000 Raptor disks like many of the users with the top times!

See results at this page:

http://www.retouchartists.com/pages/results/macpro.html

Try the test yourself I'd be interested in the times.

Best,

John

By the time Snow Leopard comes out it I'll build a new box!

mine will have to last a bit longer than that :)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=775388

I ran the Retouch Artists Photoshop Speed Test over at:

http://www.retouchartists.com/pages/speedtest.html

My test speed tied for the fastest time at 23 seconds using CS3. I don't even have a RAID or 10,000 Raptor disks like many of the users with the top times!

See results at this page:

http://www.retouchartists.com/pages/results/macpro.html

that is pretty excellent.

@Snick -> if you do get the ga-x48-ds5 there is a driver package on this post, which also says everything pretty much works out of the box.

> I just did it, 32 seconds

Hey man that ain't too shabby!

There are some parts of the Retouch Artists Photoshop Speed Test that use all processors and some that don't. Not sure which ones though.

Also my Q6700 is overclocked to 3.33GHz...I'm sure that helps with the fast times.