Can not boot into windows

Nick Monticello

6 posts in this topic

Ok. So I installed 10.4.5 onto my Dell 9200. Everything worked except I could not get the video card to load properly with the kext. I downgraded to 10.4.3 and it finds it find. Everything works in OS X perfectly. The only problem is after install I no longer get my boot options. It boots directly into Mac OS? I was not sure what steps to take in reinstalling Mac OS, so I think I missed a step somewhere. Is there a way to fix this problem? Please let me know.

Thank You

Nick

I am very sure. But I have never pressed any key to see boot options. That is probably the problem. I will check now! Thank you.

So I restarted and I dont even get the option for the darwin boot loader. It just goes straight to starting OS X. I know I did not delete the entire drive. I can see it still in Mac OS. Is there a way to enable the boot loader?

• 1 year later...
I am very sure. But I have never pressed any key to see boot options. That is probably the problem. I will check now! Thank you.

So I restarted and I dont even get the option for the darwin boot loader. It just goes straight to starting OS X. I know I did not delete the entire drive. I can see it still in Mac OS. Is there a way to enable the boot loader?

Did you ever figure this out?

I have the same issue on 10.5.1.

hey, i know how to fix this; it happened to me before, too.

go into (your mac hd)/library/preferences/systemconfiguration/

open the file "com.apple.boot.plist"

at the end of it, right before the </dict></plist> code enter:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>(##)</string>

and replace "##" with any number; this number represents the number of seconds darwin will wait before it will automatically load the active hard drive (which is mac if it just boots straight to mac, for you).

when you first boot up, darwin bootloader will count down; if you press a button, you can then choose which partition/hard drive to boot from.

PS: don't forget to change permissions before the changes and then reset permissions after the changes!