Updating to 10.5.4 from 10.5.2 please!

SniperDaws

13 posts in this topic

Hello chaps,

ok ive installed Iatkos V2.0i and all is going well, ive installed all updates through apple update apart from the 10.5.4 update because leopard wont restart after installing it.

ive noticed a few people are running 10.5.4 and would like to aswell if its possible.

what i really need is guiding through it as im very very new to using a mac so i need to be led as simply as possible.

my system consists of-

Q6600 @ Stock

4Gig DDR2 ram

Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

9600GT at 1680x1050 no Acceleration :D

Samsung IDE 16x dvdrw

2x 80gig Maxters D/max 9 SATA

1 Maxter sata2 D/max 11

Audigy 2 soundcard

if theres any more info you need please just ask and ill help i anyway i can.

Download 10.5.3 Combo update from Apple (not Apple Software update) and follow Netkas's Instructions. This will take you to 10.5.3, and once you have it running, just do a Apple Software Update to 10.5.4.

This is possible as you are using Core2 CPU with Intel Chipset. However no driver for 9600GT yet, even in the upcoming 10.5.5 :D

Thank you mate,

but ive ran into a problem straight away, i managed to make the script to remove the "AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext" i click to install and when i choose which drive to install im presnted with this

You cannot install Mac OS X Update Combined on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update.

also can you tell me which files i need to back up? and how to back up files using leopard ?

Thanks mate, i know its probably somthing im doing wrong :D

EDIT: the update that he links to is 10.5.2 this is why i got the error message as im already on 10.5.4.

too late i just botched it, halfway through installing the update it gave me the "Shutdown your pc or hold down the powerbutton blah blah" now it just boots to the apple logo crashes and does it all over again.

i think ill just download a new leopard that is 10.5.4 then im not messing about, do your recommend any before i go hunting for one?

im thinking iAtkos 4i

Thank you for all your help :o

That worked for me. I just backed up my user folder, and reinstalled. iATKOS v4i worked, and Jas didn't but I'm happy with the upgrade. My TM now doesn't work, but I think it was the changing of my wireless card at the same time which caused that.

That worked for me. I just backed up my user folder, and reinstalled. iATKOS v4i worked, and Jas didn't but I'm happy with the upgrade. My TM now doesn't work, but I think it was the changing of my wireless card at the same time which caused that.

How do you back up and restore with leopard ? im a total n00b to apple OS X ive never even seen it running before until i got iatkos V2.0i installed 2 days ago.

I didn't do anything special. I just dragged my user folder, which has you docs, pictures, music, video, etc., basically everything that you own as a user, onto another hdd. You have to reinstall applications manually, but I always do it differently each time when installing anyway, and now I just use the basics. Your user folder is under "Places" on the hard drive menu along with applications, etc., it has your name on it.

Thank you mate, i was trying to right click>copy and then paste but it wasnt working, ill drag it instead to my spare drive.

im just going to give it another trial run with V2.0i because im bored of waiting for V4i :)

ok im back up and runnin i have 3 drives on my system

1 80gb with Winxp pro

1 80gb with iatkos v2.0i

1 250gb driver with all my films, pics, music etc etc.

now i can copy and paste FROM the 250gb drive but i cant copy and paste to it.

when i try to it says "the item cannot be moved because pics cannot be modified" (pics being the folder on my 250gb im trying to paste to).

any help will be appreciated :)

That would be because your 250GB Drive is probably formatted as NTFS.

Only Windows operating Systems can read/write reliably to NTFS.

All other OS such as Linux and OSX only mount NTFS Volumes as Read-Only by default. There are 3rd party tools to write into NTFS from other OS such as Fuse+NTFS3G but your mileage varies. There are few who would swear that it works perfect but in my experience it corrupted my 200GB NTFS partition when I tried it from OSX

My advice would be to install HFS-Explorer (it is free) in Windows XP. This allows XP to READ-ONLY Apple Partition. You can then copy the files from HFS to your 250GB NTFS Partition. There is no chance of corruption as you are not writing into any alien file system.

Once you have rebuilt with OSX, from OSX you can READ the data from your NTFS 250GB Partition and paste it into your Apple HFS Partition

OSX Combo Update 10.5.3 is available here

That would be because your 250GB Drive is probably formatted as NTFS.

Only Windows operating Systems can read/write reliably to NTFS.

All other OS such as Linux and OSX only mount NTFS Volumes as Read-Only by default. There are 3rd party tools to write into NTFS from other OS such as Fuse+NTFS3G but your mileage varies. There are few who would swear that it works perfect but in my experience it corrupted my 200GB NTFS partition when I tried it from OSX

My advice would be to install HFS-Explorer (it is free) in Windows XP. This allows XP to READ-ONLY Apple Partition. You can then copy the files from HFS to your 250GB NTFS Partition. There is no chance of corruption as you are not writing into any alien file system.

Once you have rebuilt with OSX, from OSX you can READ the data from your NTFS 250GB Partition and paste it into your Apple HFS Partition

OSX Combo Update 10.5.3 is available here

Thank you mate.

ok now i have a few questions for you, in the tutorial you linked me to the writer says this-

"u can use this little script for it, run as root, before starting upgrade"

how do i run as root ?

and what files do i need to be backing up here when he says this-

"now u can recover ur applesmbios/applehda/etc (didn;’t u forget to make backups b4 running update ?)"

when i tried to install the 10.5.3 combo before it crashed half way through and gave me a reboot by holding in the power button message. but i think its because the script he told me to use in ROOT didnt work because im an idiot and over looked this bit by not knowing what root is. ;)

ok if i were to buy a new HDD say 500GB is it possible to have half partitioned in Ntfs and the other half in HFS ?

1. To run as root, open a terminal session and enter the following

sudo -s

This will prompt you for a password, enter your curent password and you will be in root mode

2. Generally you backup AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleIntelHDA.kext

3. Yes you can have an additional drive with tow partitions of NTFS and HFS. I have a 640GB external SATA drive split half and half into HFS and NTFS for my storage needs.

1. To run as root, open a terminal session and enter the following

sudo -s

This will prompt you for a password, enter your curent password and you will be in root mode

2. Generally you backup AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleIntelHDA.kext

3. Yes you can have an additional drive with tow partitions of NTFS and HFS. I have a 640GB external SATA drive split half and half into HFS and NTFS for my storage needs.

Thats good to know, i might buy a new larger HDD and split it in 2 then both XP and Leopard can use it.

i ran the script to pluck out the file when the update installer is running but halfway through the install it crashes sking me to hold in the powerbutton to shut down, then it wont startup again and i have to reinstall iAtkos V2.0i 10.5.2.

ive even tried installing iAtkos V4i and everything installs fine and i get install successfully at the end, i then restart the pc and it doesnt load anything, it sits there right after bios screen with the curser just blinking. maybe my 9600GT is preventing me from updating ?

Thank you for all your help im starting to pick up bits and bats now and even though ive not got 10.5.4 ive installed ilife 08 and im having a blast organising my photos into events, its so much better than windows for stuff like this.

:)