Ubuntu 8.04 on p5wdh

cameronboy

18 posts in this topic

Hi All new to forum I failed to load ubuntu onto my pc p5wdh mainboard Its Funny I was looking to find updates because of bugs in the ubuntu 8.04 and i came across an article this site saying the p5wdh was and excellent board to DIY a mac I had heard on the grape vine it had been done but didn't know it had taken off in such a big way. :P Show once the rug rats come along you soon lose touch. doesn't seem five minutes since i built my current system o/c stable at 3.6ghz on water and it was the dogs!! I was known as graylinghunter in the database

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17611316

two years down the line well it all moves on so fast one could say its a moderate system now.

Anyway If anyone has found a good way get ubuntu 64bit running please let me know.

I have enjoyed reading this forum and will attempt a leopard install ps will leopard support dual screens?

It hasn’t allowed me to solve my ongoing Linux problem but it has given me hope to escape the disappointing vista ultimate software which I am sick to death of tweaking but continue to get pi$$ed off with it. It the worst operating system I have used since my first z80!!!!!! In fact it crashes out more than my first z80 and every major add on programme I use has some vista fault.

Anyway I have enjoyed ubuntu 8.04 on my other system but the Jmicron controller problem stops me installing on my pw5dh deluxe whilst keeping my vista install supported at the same time dual boot

Well i can get ubuntu running from the live cd but its not an ideal dual boot system.

So reading this forum has given me an alternative distraction for a day or two

Anyway I have a spare hard drive to hand and will attempt to install leopard. while i wait to find a solution to my ubuntu problem

I can see from the forum a lot of you guys rate the p5wdh mb and may have worked around the linux problem please let me know

My set up is a s follows

E6600 core duo (stepping b2) ps might upgrade this to a q6600 in a week or two

P5wdh deluxe

2gb ram gskill hz6400

3 sata drives Samsung drives 250gb a 300gb and 500gb sata drives

NEC Dvdrw. lableflash via ide ide

Nvidia 7900gtx. (single card)

All water cooled in a nice flash coolermaster case

Thanks i will take a look

Just xbenched my system score 133.35 not sure how hat stacks up against other hackmacs but thats running without any OClocking

logitech wireless g7 mouse no longer works

my spdif out does not function

xbench cantconnect with server all the time so cant upload the results tried to cut and paste them here

also noted my nvidia 7900gtx shows as a 6800 ultra

also not sure but although i can create a mac account with password when i open i chat it says it does not recognize password

It also works fine dual screen my 37 lcdtv and 19 inch are both live

:)

A17,

You seem like a level head nice guy most times, but there are other times where I have to try to completely ignore your comments. I respect your right to an opinion, but would it hurt to not make it so obvious that you would completely destroy anything with the Ubuntu logo on it if you had the chance.

Why not suggest solutions to help the user out, besides get this other linux distro. All Linuxs are virtually the same in terms of problems, issues, and fixes. I am sure your vast amount of general *nix knowledge could help to an extent.

Cody

You seem like a level head nice guy most times, but there are other times where I have to try to completely ignore your comments.

If a "lol" is a comment...(the actual comment came from the user).

Why not suggest solutions to help the user out.

I do. I suggest distros which work.

All Linuxs are virtually the same in terms of problems, issues, and fixes. I am sure your vast amount of general *nix knowledge could help to an extent.

All distros are not the same. Otherwise, which would be the point in having 500 different flavours?

Paranoid Marvin has just found out that Debian is great.

As to helping, I couldn't help people with Ubuntu even if I wanted. I can help them with distros I have used for thousands of hours.

...Just loaded leopard.

Took about an hour just wished linux ubuntu was as easy....

Careful with blanket statements like that. Just because your experience was negative, does not mean that is the case for every computer and person installing Ubuntu. Some may even say the opposite - Ubuntu 8.04 works better, was easier to install, and gave less problems on their computer than Leopard. I am testing a triple boot on a Compaq presario C762NR laptop, running Atkios V4(10.5.4), Ubuntu 8.04, and Windows Vista.

In my experience, it took about the same amount of time to install Ubuntu 8.04 as it did Atkios.

Yes, I had to install additional codecs and video players in Ubuntu 8.04, but that was as easy as pie using the built in Synaptic Manager. It is all described here in plain noob language.

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/musicvideophotos/C/index.html

To get wireless internet to work with Atkios, I had to purchase a USB wirless network card. No way to get the built in wireless card and no fix. Sleep does not work and there is no fix for Atkios or any other OSx 86 Distro. Built in wireless was easy to get working in Ubuntu 8.04. A 10 second Google Search and the step by step solution popped up in no time. Sleep works perfectly in Ubuntu 8.04.

The long and short of it, it all really depends on what type of computer you are installing OSX 86 on whether it be Leopard or Tiger or Ubuntu or any other Distro and hardware compatibility, not to mention your willingness or lack thereof to remain patient and finetune and tweak until the install meets to your satisfaction. For people who just want a plain out of the box experience with no tweaking or finetuning, best to stick to Windows XP.

If a "lol" is a comment...(the actual comment came from the user).

I do. I suggest distros which work.

You have a good knowledge in Linux, but I just can't understand this shameless 'campaign' you do in this subforum. This thread is about Ubuntu, not about (open)SUSE, so how about not spilling your sarcasm here?

I can understand you have a different opinion, but if you can't come up with something that can help the OP's current situation, then why bother replying?

I have never seen anything like this on any forums that besides of every second topic on the *nix subforum is about/related to (open)SUSE, cause it may or may not be a coincidence, but i see this (open)SUSE ad campaign virtually everywhere, and that starts to really {censored} me off, I don't know if I am the only one...

You just said you can't help him. Than I can't really see the reason of your posts in this thread.

I don't want to start another distro vs. distro war here, my point is that if a topic is about a problem, an explicit solution should be found, which does not involve an ad campaign.

:D

A lot of BS, simply because I stopped "campaigning" for openSUSE a long time ago, in case you didn't notice.

You just said you can't help him. Than I can't really see the reason of your posts in this thread.

Once again as in the past, when it comes to His Majesty Ubuntu, I am denied even the basic right to find something funny.

Why didn't the smart asses who can only complain about me, the Ubuntu geniuses, help him out? Could it be because Ubuntu is used only by hapless n00bs?

... Ubuntu is used only by hapless n00bs?

The last thing that I am also trying not to do is start a distro vs distro war, but quite honestly Ubunutu is the most popular of all Linux Distros and used by millions. This begs the question are all those users "hapless nOObs"? I think not. Many Ubuntu Linux users are referred to as Linux Geeks and this is not a term that most would use to describe "hapless nOObs" Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and should use whatever they like regardless of what others think. I also love what the Father of Ubuntu(Mark Shuttleworth stands for. Lol, at least he didn't sell out to Microsoft for the almighty dollar).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke-kel9zOFo

Just my 2 cents. Like I said to each his own, but we don't need to insult other distros to get our points across.

The last thing that I am also trying not to do is start a distro vs distro war, but quite honestly Ubunutu is the most popular of all Linux Distros and used by millions. This begs the question are all those users "hapless nOObs"? I think not. Many Ubuntu Linux users are referred to as Linux Geeks and this is not a term that most would use to describe "hapless nOObs" Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and should use whatever they like regardless of what others think. I also love what the Father of Ubuntu(Mark Shuttleworth stands for. Lol, at least he didn't sell out to Microsoft for the almighty dollar).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke-kel9zOFo

Just my 2 cents. Like I said to each his own, but we don't need to insult other distros to get our points across.

It is not me who started this matter. I have been attacked twice because I dared to lol and I didn't help instead. Why didn't any Ubunt "fan" help instead?

Anyway If anyone has found a good way get ubuntu 64bit running please let me know.

I would recommend you to start out with 32-bit. It has better drivers.

I have enjoyed reading this forum and will attempt a leopard install ps will leopard support dual screens?

If you keep your 7900GTX, it should.

I will try the 32 bit version of ubuntu to see if that works

sorry chaps didn't mean to cause a war just thought it was ironic i was looking to get ubuntu working with my current set up and end installing leopard

that got to make you smile a little

There's nothing to feel sorry about. It happens every day. :)

Hi All new to forum I failed to load ubuntu onto my pc p5wdh mainboard Its Funny I was looking to find updates because of bugs in the ubuntu 8.04 and i came across an article this site saying the p5wdh was and excellent board to DIY a mac I had heard on the grape vine it had been done but didn't know it had taken off in such a big way. :D Show once the rug rats come along you soon lose touch. doesn't seem five minutes since i built my current system o/c stable at 3.6ghz on water and it was the dogs!! I was known as graylinghunter in the database

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17611316

two years down the line well it all moves on so fast one could say its a moderate system now.

It hasn’t allowed me to solve my ongoing Linux problem but it has given me hope to escape the disappointing vista ultimate software which I am sick to death of tweaking but continue to get pi$ed off with it. It the worst operating system I have used since my first z80!!!!!! In fact it crashes out more than my first z80 and every major add on programme I use has some vista fault.

Anyway I have enjoyed ubuntu 8.04 on my other system but the Jmicron controller problem stops me installing on my pw5dh deluxe whilst keeping my vista install supported at the same time dual boot

Well i can get ubuntu running from the live cd but its not an ideal dual boot system.

So reading this forum has given me an alternative distraction for a day or two

Anyway I have a spare hard drive to hand and will attempt to install leopard. while i wait to find a solution to my ubuntu problem

I can see from the forum a lot of you guys rate the p5wdh mb and may have worked around the linux problem please let me know

My set up is a s follows

E6600 core duo (stepping b2) ps might upgrade this to a q6600 in a week or two

P5wdh deluxe

2gb ram gskill hz6400

3 sata drives Samsung drives 250gb a 300gb and 500gb sata drives

NEC Dvdrw. lableflash via ide ide

Nvidia 7900gtx. (single card)

All water cooled in a nice flash coolermaster case

Hi there,

I successfully installed Vista then Ubuntu 64-bit 8.04 and now OS X on my tri-booting (Vista64, Ubuntu64, OS X Leopard) Asus P5N-32E SLI Plus MOBO with a 3.0GHz OC'd Intel Q6600 CPU.......in fact more easily and quickly than OS X.......I used the alternate desktop CD for 64bit AMD and Intel computers......and for installing the nVidia graphics driver I used EnvyNG......setting up a LVM etc......

I would suggest getting a SATA CD drive, and disabling the JMicron IDE controller. I very much disagree with Intel's decision to make everyone use a 3rd-party IDE controller, and it has caused more problems than any other disk controller in the past.

The best thing you can do would be to get a SATA CD-ROM (they are cheap - like $30 USD), put everything on the native Intel controller (Intel's hardware always has the best Linux support), and disable all 3rd-party IDE and SATA controllers.