Is there any way to install tiger on a G4 using my Kalyway 10.4.10 install disk?

8 posts in this topic

Dumb question.... Is the much smaller size of a Kalyway-like install DVD due to the fact that all of the PPC support is stripped out? Just wondering, because if so, is it possible that Snow Leopard will fit on a single-layer DVD if they go through with fully dropping PPCs?

Dumb question.... Is the much smaller size of a Kalyway-like install DVD due to the fact that all of the PPC support is stripped out?

Yes, it is a "dumb question".

It's not the PPC stuff that takes up the room in an install CD/DVD, it's the support (drivers) for all the Apple devices, past, and present, that takes up the space.

• 4 weeks later...

I just shrunk the Leopard ISO down to fit on a single layer DVD, I didn't remove any drivers, nor did I remove any of the PPC stuff. I had to reburn it because I had to hack it to install on a G4-800 iMac.. 67MHz too slow, says Apple's install script.. Easy fix.. But yeah, the only things that had to be removed from Leopard were the XCode tools (that's fine, there are newer versions up for download nowadays), the extra languages, and the printer drivers.. Printer drivers can be re-installed from the official DVD after the install, it won't complain about the CPU speed after the install.. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

The first leak named Maklar was Tiger 10.4.1 and it could install on both Intel and PowerPC Macs (that is how I did my first attemps to transfer an intallation to a Hackintosh with the help of my PowerBook).

When it finishes it could boot on both Intel Macs and PowerPC Macs but if you make any update it loses the ability to boot on both.

So 10.4.1 was the first full Universal Binary but not the updates, Leopard ends that all the updates are Universal Binaries.