Okay! Installed! on GA-EP35-DS3L

xLitsx

4 posts in this topic

I believe you can only do Apple Updates if your hackintosh can use the vanilla kernel.

THIS IS A MYTH!

Having the vanilla kernel only protects you against update b0rks caused by the kernel being overwritten.

If, for instance, the update installs a new AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (which iirc 10.5.3 does) you will still find yourself looking at "packet 0 didn't get an HPET" or whatever all over again.

To further secure your system for updates you can:

Use Chameleon/boot-132 to move your patched kexts to /Extra/Extensions to avoid them being overwritten.

Use disabler kexts to knock out the "troublesome" kexts that may be installed rather than just deleting them.

Having said that, 10.5.3 is the tricky one. if you can get that in place, 10.5.3->10.5.4 is a breeze.

hope this helps.

• 8 months later...

I am having the same motherboard and yesterday I updated to 10.5.3 (KalysWay) but I am now stuck into the boot screen until I boot with "update -v -x" option but this get me into (Safe Boot) mode, is there any way I can get it back to the normal boot.

What if I do manual update to 10.5.4, I already downloaded all the available update from apple website, can I go to 10.5.3 > 10.5.7 directly ??!

normally you can go directly to 10.5.7 using combo update, just take care of IntelCPUPower... and all your hacked drivers. For sound (ALC 889A) you need a new driver up to 10.5.6, for video depends, there are major nvidia changes from 10.5.5 or 10.5.6, I don't remember anymore