Windows Problem

djet

12 posts in this topic

Okay whenever I try to run Movie Maker and some other programs in Windows, they seem to freeze up and the thing where you drag a window over it's window it repeats the window across it (like when you win in solitaire) and you basically have to end task the program. Now I've noticed that in Task Manager system is using about 30% of the resources (although I'm not doing anything, but when I'm on a phone call in skype, it doesn't really use any resources.

Any ideas?

Just ran that and it all checked out well. So far it's movie maker and an application called PotBS. I have no clue what kind of correlation would be between.

Could just be a problem with the version of Movie Maker that you installed. Uninstall and reinstall it. Perhaps some program files are corrupt and are leading to the issue. It could also be graphics card related? Was it always doing that since you installed it, or did it just start doing it all of a sudden? What are your system specs?

This does sound like a bad application, though it may not be the one you think. The failure to redraw the screen (the repeated window border you describe) is a classic symptom of one thread taking so much CPU that the housekeeping tasks are neglected. Also, it's worth checking that you haven't got any malware on your machine.

Okay I will try these suggestions and report back.

This just randomly started happening, I opened movie maker one day and worked fine (as best as MM can.... lol) then another day I tried opening it and BAM it broke then PotBS broke. I'm on a 1.86 GHz Macbook with 3GB RAM and intel GMA 950GM.

The fact that it randomly began happening would indicate to me that you may have a file corruption issue. As per MetroGirl, I would not rule out malware or a virus infection leading to the file corruption. Also, have any updates or patches been released that should be installed for the MovieMaker. You may want to check their site to see if this problem is common and a patch is available to address it. Check the vendor's site for any patches or updates, do a complete malware/virus scan, then do a hard drive defragmentation. If that does not solve the issue, I would recommend a complete uninstall and reinstall of the moviemaker. Just curious, how much hard drive space do you have available?

I got 8.5 GB. Well I managed to get MM uninstalled so Ima reinstall it now as I scan for viruses.

Update: I got Movie Maker reinstalled and it's working fine now. No viruses, just defragged, and PotBS still doesn't work. I guess I'll try to reinstall it.

Adding new info that I've found. My Computer has not turned off the fan since I've started having this problem and the fan is always on..... wtf. I'm starting to think I need to reinstall Windows.....

Adding new info that I've found. My Computer has not turned off the fan since I've started having this problem and the fan is always on..... wtf. I'm starting to think I need to reinstall Windows.....

Lol, overheating issues(fan/motherboard beginning to malfunction) - or fan coming on because CPU load too high. I may be wrong, it could be a lot things.

Here is a little trick that I use to try and figure out hardware or software related issues. Burn a live Linux Distro to CD. Linux will not be installed to your hard drive. It doesn't matter which live Linux distro you choose, PC Linux OS, Suse, Ubuntu, take your pick. Now, set your computer to boot from CD/DVD rom and insert CD. Boot up your computer. If you can run Linux via live CD(browser, word processor, games, etc.,) and you don't experience the same kind of issues, then you don't have hardware issues. The problem is likely software related and you may need to reinstall Windows. If on the other hand you experience the same kinds of issues(fan always being on) when you run the Linux Live CD, then you likely have hardware problems. If the fan is always coming on, the fan may be packed with dust and may just need a good cleaning. Not doing so, could lead to overheating issues later, which could shorten the life of your other hardware.

Okay. Well I'm fairly certain that it's software trouble that's going on here. My CPU was around 98% this morning when installing software. System is taking about a third of the CPU as well. I'm prolly gonna reinstall Windows today, but I've got a lot of work to do before that.

I tried to reinstall PotBS but it gave me the same error. Here's a screenshot of my Task Manager:

taskmangrji1.jpg