The unbearable British hypocrisy about the EU

11 posts in this topic

http://www.politicallyincorrect.me.uk/EU.htm

How it works and why it is undemocratic

First of all, the unelected bureaucracy, the Commission, has the monopoly to propose all new laws. Second, the Commission’s legal proposals are then negotiated in secret by the shadowy Committee of Permanent Representatives, or bureaucrats from the nation states, known as COREPER. Decisions are taken in the Council of Ministers, again by secret vote. The EU pretends that democracy is maintained because decisions are taken in the Council by national Ministers, who were elected as national MPs. But the point remains that the EU Parliament itself is excluded from the process, except as a rubber stamp when the decisions have been taken. The whole thing is modeled on the old USSR.

As somebody who lived in the UK for about 15 years, what I disliked most about Britain is the hypocrisy about the EU.

The above is an example of what they want you to believe.

But imagine somebody made a simple suggestion:

"Let's vote for a European Parliament with full powers. It will be responsible only to the people who voted for it. The Parliament will nominate a European Government and it will be responsible only before the Parliament"

How more democratic than that does it come?

But would anybody in Britain accept that? No way, they would scream blue murder that Europe wants to take British sovereignty away.

And so you have a typical catch-22 situation: Europe is a bureaucratic nightmare, but a truly democratic solution must not even be mentioned. Sometimes I believe de Gaulle was right when he didn't want Britain in Europe.

Truth be told, the Brits are brainwashed by their media. But then they should ask themselves: who is interested in keeping Europe weak and undemocratic?

Truth be told, the Brits are brainwashed by their media. But then they should ask themselves: who is interested in keeping Europe weak and undemocratic?

Not all, and only as much as Americans are... all media is fairly unreliable and corrupt in the modern world... anyone with a decent amount of sense knows this and cautiously weighs any information they acquire, especially when it comes from a well known newspaper or news channel. Wether they are European, American or of any other nationality... don't insist that a particular one are all lemmings just because the majority are. The majority will always be manipulated because that is the target in a democracy.

Yes, TOS 1.04, I am well aware of that. My fellow Italians were brainwashed into electing a government of fascists and mafiosi. And even now, after seeing how the government behaves, they still swear by it.

The situation is extremely worrying. Everybody with power over the media can make you believe whatever they want.

Well the president of Italy happens to own Mediaset, which hold three national television channels, approximately half the national viewing audience. :)

Britain's stance on the EU seems to be that it is too good for the rest of the continent. Since their economy improved so much in the last 15 years, they felt it would be an economic drain to join the EEC, which I find quite hypocritical. (just like Norway and Switzerland)

The British attitude is just a throwback to the way they thought two hundred years ago. They're somehow superior to those on the continent, and it is their God-given right to keep it weak and subordinate.

How absolutely AMERICAN of them! *laughing*

Well the president of Italy happens to own Mediaset, which hold three national television channels, approximately half the national viewing audience. :thumbsup_anim:

Very true, but not the President. Mr Berlusconi is the Prime Minister.

Britain's stance on the EU seems to be that it is too good for the rest of the continent. Since their economy improved so much in the last 15 years, they felt it would be an economic drain to join the EEC, which I find quite hypocritical. (just like Norway and Switzerland)

However the Pound has proven to be weaker than the Euro, thus they should rethink the whole matter.

How absolutely AMERICAN of them! *laughing*

Now I know what Americans and Brits have in common :rolleyes: