[how-to] Newbie guide to installing retail Leopard on an Intel DG31PR mobo

lionsnob

49 posts in this topic

Riker, I had some of the same problems with software update. I installed from a 10.5.0 retail disk and software update kept breaking my install. The combo updates worked for me up to 10.5.3. 10.5.5 broke it. I haven't been brave enough to try .4 yet. I was disappointed though, as everyone says software update should work with a retail install. Could be noob related though as this is my first hackintosh.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same DG31PR board and I have Everything working with Retail OS X 10.5.6 (Video/Sound/Camera/TimeMachine/Network)

EXCEPT Sleep :)

For some reason when I sleep the computer, and then hit a key to wake it, it wakes with 3 beeps and reboots.

I am using OpenHaltRestart.kext.

Thanks lionsnob and camroid for the guides, this worked great for me. Anyone delve into fixing sleep problems? I've heard it's graphics card related on this mobo and wondered if anyone knew if there is a solution. I'm currently using efi strings.

My Specs:

DG31PR

Q6600

4GB

XFX 8800GT

Generic TI chipset firewire card

Sata HD, IDE DVD

All crammed into an old graphite case :D

Just curious, does your firewire work in 10.5.6, because mine isn't recognized at all (and it is a TI chipset) (but is recognized in both Windows and Ubuntu). If so, what card did you use specifically?

• 2 months later...
Just curious, does your firewire work in 10.5.6, because mine isn't recognized at all (and it is a TI chipset) (but is recognized in both Windows and Ubuntu). If so, what card did you use specifically?

Sorry, I had taken a bit of a hiatus from my hackintosh. I haven't installed the 10.5.6 update yet. But my firewire works great in 10.5.5. I believe it's an orange micro brand card. Only has three ports; one internal and two external. Next time I open the case I'll look at the model number. Ha, I try to open it as little as possible because I messed up the latch a little when I installed the intel mobo.

• 2 weeks later...
Did the update break your install or how did you update

I just wanted to know as i was going to buy the same motherboard

The update to 10.5.6 caused firewire to no longer show in system profiler. I just installed via software update. Overall it's a great motherboard. The only drawbacks for me have been having to use the 0052 bios in order to have usb work, and sleep does not work. I think you may need a newer bios to support 45nm processors.

The update to 10.5.6 caused firewire to no longer show in system profiler. I just installed via software update. Overall it's a great motherboard. The only drawbacks for me have been having to use the 0052 bios in order to have usb work, and sleep does not work. I think you may need a newer bios to support 45nm processors.

I have this same mobo used for final cut pro and logic pro works great in kalway 10.5.2

also in 10.5.4 by the Iktos

but in ipc 10.5.6 i lose wireless with my netgear and also lose firewire

how is it working in anything below 10.5.6?

cant we copy stuff over to make it work again?

• 1 month later...
Hi all -

This is my attempt to give back to the community - I had a tough time finding this info since it was in so many separate places, so I thought I'd share what I wrote down. This took me about a week to hammer out :(

My hardware is the following:

• Intel DG31PR motherboard
  • Core 2 Duo E4500, 2.2GHZ
  • 2 GB DDR800 RAM
  • 80 GB 2.5" SATA hard drive
  • Generic IDE DVD burner
  • Nvidia GeForce 7200GS video card because onboard X3100 seems hard to get working with QE/CI. This one works fine and it's only $25 (US).
  • PCI ethernet card. The onboard card works out of the box, but you need to install the RealtekR1000 driver, which didn't appeal to me for some reason. The PCI card worked out of the box with no extra drivers. And it's only $8 (US).

Here are the steps that I followed. NOTE: STEPS 6 AND 7 WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR HARD DISK!

1. Download a boot-132 CD. I found that the "generic.iso" version worked without any extra work, so that's the one I used. (Link - it's the link that says "Download .ISO with modified kexts:")
  2. After the .iso image is burned to a CD, insert the disk and boot up the machine. Make sure your BIOS is set to look at the optical drive first in the booting order.
  3. When the disk loads, a boot: prompt will appear. Eject the disk in the drive and load the Leopard retail disk. Hit enter.
  4. Your presented with a prompt to choose which disk to boot up with. Hit enter to use the default, and enter again to boot up.
  5. Leopard install will begin to load. When the CD is done loading, open Disk Utility by selecting it from the menu bar (I forgot to write down which menu).
  6. NOTE: THE NEXT TWO STEPS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON THE SELECTED HARD DISK AND MAY MAKE OTHERS INACCESSIBLE. Click on your hard disk. Under the Partition tab, under Volume Scheme, choose 1 Partition. Choose Options.... Make sure that GUID is checked, otherwise Leopard will not install.
  7. Click Apply.
  8. After the disk is done formatting, close Disk Utility and click through the Leopard install options to begin installation.
  9. When installation is complete, the PC will restart. At this point put your generic.iso CD back in the PC. When the disk loads, a boot: prompt will appear. Eject the disk. Hit enter. Type "80". This tells the bootloader to boot off of the primary disk. If you installed on a secondary disk, type "81". Hit enter.
  10. Leopard will begin booting off of your hard disk. You now have a working install!
  11. At this point, the PC is still in a state where you will have to have the CD in the drive to boot Leopard by following step 9. This can be alleviated using Chameleon. Google chameleon osx86 to find it.
  12. From your generic.iso CD, double click on initrd.img. From the resulting disk image, drill down into the folders until you see several .kext files. Copy dsmos.kext and IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/ The system will ask for your password before it copies the files.
  13. Open a Terminal window from Terminal.app in the utilities folder. Type in the window: nano /Library/Preferences/System/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
  14. Navigate to the <strings> </strings> line after the <key>Kernel Flags</key> line.
  15. Add "-f" (without the quotes) in between the string flag, so it looks like this: <strings>-f</strings>
  16. Install Chameleon from step 11.
  17. Take the CD out and reboot.
  18. The system should boot up. At this point, I would go to Software Update under the Apple menu and download the updates.

Notes:

1. For my video card (7000 series GeForce), I had to download Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 from Apple, install it using Pacifist, and install the latest NVInject.
  2. To get my sound working, I had to install the ALC888.txt file linked to on the wiki using AppleHDAPatcherv1.20. The ALC888.txt file can be found on the wiki, the AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 can be found here: (Link)

If you have to do the steps in "Notes," do them last. When the system updates itself, I've noticed that these steps may have to be repeated.

Hope this helps someone!

For Intel DG31PR:

For the Network Driver use this one

And for the Audio Driver

After Update 10.5.7, Audio is not working you need to patch the AppleHDA with this patch. Just drop this file over the AppleHDAPatcher, and thats it, restart and you will have a working sound again.

Hi all -

This is my attempt to give back to the community - I had a tough time finding this info since it was in so many separate places, so I thought I'd share what I wrote down. This took me about a week to hammer out :thumbsup_anim:

My hardware is the following:

• Intel DG31PR motherboard
  • Core 2 Duo E4500, 2.2GHZ
  • 2 GB DDR800 RAM
  • 80 GB 2.5" SATA hard drive
  • Generic IDE DVD burner
  • Nvidia GeForce 7200GS video card because onboard X3100 seems hard to get working with QE/CI. This one works fine and it's only $25 (US).
  • PCI ethernet card. The onboard card works out of the box, but you need to install the RealtekR1000 driver, which didn't appeal to me for some reason. The PCI card worked out of the box with no extra drivers. And it's only $8 (US).

Here are the steps that I followed. NOTE: STEPS 6 AND 7 WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR HARD DISK!

1. Download a boot-132 CD. I found that the "generic.iso" version worked without any extra work, so that's the one I used. (Link - it's the link that says "Download .ISO with modified kexts:")
  2. After the .iso image is burned to a CD, insert the disk and boot up the machine. Make sure your BIOS is set to look at the optical drive first in the booting order.
  3. When the disk loads, a boot: prompt will appear. Eject the disk in the drive and load the Leopard retail disk. Hit enter.
  4. Your presented with a prompt to choose which disk to boot up with. Hit enter to use the default, and enter again to boot up.
  5. Leopard install will begin to load. When the CD is done loading, open Disk Utility by selecting it from the menu bar (I forgot to write down which menu).
  6. NOTE: THE NEXT TWO STEPS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON THE SELECTED HARD DISK AND MAY MAKE OTHERS INACCESSIBLE. Click on your hard disk. Under the Partition tab, under Volume Scheme, choose 1 Partition. Choose Options.... Make sure that GUID is checked, otherwise Leopard will not install.
  7. Click Apply.
  8. After the disk is done formatting, close Disk Utility and click through the Leopard install options to begin installation.
  9. When installation is complete, the PC will restart. At this point put your generic.iso CD back in the PC. When the disk loads, a boot: prompt will appear. Eject the disk. Hit enter. Type "80". This tells the bootloader to boot off of the primary disk. If you installed on a secondary disk, type "81". Hit enter.
  10. Leopard will begin booting off of your hard disk. You now have a working install!
  11. At this point, the PC is still in a state where you will have to have the CD in the drive to boot Leopard by following step 9. This can be alleviated using Chameleon. Google chameleon osx86 to find it.
  12. From your generic.iso CD, double click on initrd.img. From the resulting disk image, drill down into the folders until you see several .kext files. Copy dsmos.kext and IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/ The system will ask for your password before it copies the files.
  13. Open a Terminal window from Terminal.app in the utilities folder. Type in the window: nano /Library/Preferences/System/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
  14. Navigate to the <strings> </strings> line after the <key>Kernel Flags</key> line.
  15. Add "-f" (without the quotes) in between the string flag, so it looks like this: <strings>-f</strings>
  16. Install Chameleon from step 11.
  17. Take the CD out and reboot.
  18. The system should boot up. At this point, I would go to Software Update under the Apple menu and download the updates.

Notes:

1. For my video card (7000 series GeForce), I had to download Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 from Apple, install it using Pacifist, and install the latest NVInject.
  2. To get my sound working, I had to install the ALC888.txt file linked to on the wiki using AppleHDAPatcherv1.20. The ALC888.txt file can be found on the wiki, the AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 can be found here: (Link)

If you have to do the steps in "Notes," do them last. When the system updates itself, I've noticed that these steps may have to be repeated.

Hope this helps someone!

For the ones that were looking for Download .ISO with modified kexts:

http://rapidshare.com/files/237838409/generic.iso

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks lionsnob and camroid for the guides, this worked great for me. Anyone delve into fixing sleep problems? I've heard it's graphics card related on this mobo and wondered if anyone knew if there is a solution. I'm currently using efi strings.

My Specs:

DG31PR

Q6600

4GB

XFX 8800GT

Generic TI chipset firewire card

Sata HD, IDE DVD

All crammed into an old graphite case :D

Nice thread, lots of useful info...

CaseM: I'm thinking about putting the DG31PR into a G4 case and noticed you seem to have done the same. Was it difficult to do? Any pointers or tips, does it fit in neatly? Also, what about the power supply did you have to do much modding to get it in? And finally, I don't suppose it's possible to get the glowing power button at the front to work? :)

Another general questions is, I'm thinking of using the E7400 Core2 processor with the DG31PR, will I be able to use the downgraded BIOS with this, and if not will the USB be ports be unusable? What's the deal with unusable USB ports anyway seems weird.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

i updated to 10.5.7 and my screensaver doesn't seem to activate, sleep doesn't seem to work too.

the USB ports work fine if you select USB Legacy Disable in the BIOS

i'm using the latest BIOS firmware 0.64 i believe

• 2 weeks later...
Nice thread, lots of useful info...

CaseM: I'm thinking about putting the DG31PR into a G4 case and noticed you seem to have done the same. Was it difficult to do? Any pointers or tips, does it fit in neatly? Also, what about the power supply did you have to do much modding to get it in? And finally, I don't suppose it's possible to get the glowing power button at the front to work? -_-

Another general questions is, I'm thinking of using the E7400 Core2 processor with the DG31PR, will I be able to use the downgraded BIOS with this, and if not will the USB be ports be unusable? What's the deal with unusable USB ports anyway seems weird.

Cheers!

It wasn't so much difficult as tedious. The hardest part was relocating the mobo standoffs for the intel. I had to grind off some old ones and drill holes for new ones. It was difficult to position it properly to where it was the right height off the case door and aligned properly with the pci slots. Take your time and measure carefully on this. I'd test with an old pci card that you don't care if you ruin. I also had some trouble with the cdrom drive length. When closing the case door the end of the cdrom makes contact with the floppy connector on the mobo and won't let it close all the way. It's easy to make the power button light up when powered on. You just have to find the pinout of the cable going to the old g4 mobo.

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions. I found everything I know using google, so try some searches for "pc in a g4 case" and things like that. I'll try to dig up some of the links I used and send them to you.

It wasn't so much difficult as tedious. The hardest part was relocating the mobo standoffs for the intel. I had to grind off some old ones and drill holes for new ones. It was difficult to position it properly to where it was the right height off the case door and aligned properly with the pci slots. Take your time and measure carefully on this. I'd test with an old pci card that you don't care if you ruin. I also had some trouble with the cdrom drive length. When closing the case door the end of the cdrom makes contact with the floppy connector on the mobo and won't let it close all the way. It's easy to make the power button light up when powered on. You just have to find the pinout of the cable going to the old g4 mobo.

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions. I found everything I know using google, so try some searches for "pc in a g4 case" and things like that. I'll try to dig up some of the links I used and send them to you.

CaseM, thanks for the tips, appreciate it!

Am thinking about holding off any major case mods until 10.6 comes out, although I think this mobo is the go.

please help!!! give me you bios settings for this mb! I can't run retail install with boot 132 (try generic.iso and other). stop in the apple grey logo. bios version 0066. ???

but i can run installed retail leopard, installed on previous mb (asus p5b), now mb is damaged! why?

• 2 weeks later...

my config is

DG31PR

2gb DDR2

250gb SATA

geforce 7300gs 256 MB (plays 1080p Bluray movies withoutany trouble)

just searchfor xxx 10.5.6 + torent

and download that torrent

boot from DVD and just follow onscreen instructions

to format HDD into hfs journaled partition

click on customise installation

no need to select any kernel

just select nvinject256 MB patch for video to work

and ALC888driver for audio

after installing sound and videocard and LAN work fine

theinteresting part is that u can just go to apples website and download

10.5.7 updateot combo update

and follow netkas method to update

it worksperfectly

incase if u loose any driver duringupdate

just use osx tools to download and install

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

my lower pci cards stopped working and following the link above

Delete AppleHPET in /System/Library/Extensions/, clear the Extension.* files in /System/Library/ and reboot. Done.

worked perfect!!! what sucked worse is that my wireless card is down there.

cheers!

• 1 month later...

The PS/2 keyboard and mouse aren't working for me with any bootloader I've tried other than the Boot132 disc. I have tried inserting PS2 keyboard, mouse, and trackpad kexts and re-adding mkext files at the following locations:

/Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/

/Volumes/OSXPart1/System/Library/Extensions/

/Volumes/OSXPart1/Extra/Extensions/

For now, I'm OK as long as I'm using a USB keyboard and mouse. I looked online and can't find anything about this issue (well, nothing I haven't tried). I'm also looking for a good driver to get the onboard video working with QE. I got basic Quartz working with OSX86Tools (enable Quartz feature). :D

• 4 weeks later...

i installed Snow Leopard retail dvd successfully on Intel DG31PR with DellSnow CD...

but now i have problem...

after dump ALC888.txt with AppleHDAPatcher v1.20 ... directly i got message to shutdown by pressing power button... so i tried to reboot again.. but i got the same error message.. then i tried boot it again with verbose mode and it stacks too.. i dont know how to read the message on the screen but something as AL ... last shutdown cause : 3 and natit..

how can i solve this?

and it seem i got problems with usb ports too.. my ext hdd cannot be recognized, also my usb wifi card... but it can read sd card on card reader attached to mb

please help me

my conf:

intel c2d e7200

intel dg31pr

gigabyte geforce 9400gt 1gb (dvi/vga/hdmi)

belkin wireless g usb adapter (K7S-F5D7050 )

logitech cordless desktop ex110

hdd samsung 500gb = Snow Leopard

hdd wd 320gb = Leopard

• 1 month later...

I have a DG31PR mobo and I am trying to install using Boot 132 and retail Snow Leopard media. I am using a SATA HDD and SATA DVD drive. Once I get Boot 132 to come up, I insert the retail media and hit enter. At this point I only get a blinking cursor and the installation disc will not start up. What am I doing wrong?

I'm having some trouble getting this to work as well. I tried both boot cds (original and modified). With the modified, the system freezes at the grey apple screen. With the original, I get passed this screen, but then it just sits at the Leopard star background with a spinning color wheel.

I have the same Intel DG31PR mobo with an Intel Core2Duo e7200 processor and an nVidia 8400GS graphics card. I previously had iDeneb 10.5.5 installed and there were no problems with that whatsoever, but I decided I wanted to go retail so I could use Apple Updates. I'm using a retail DVD of Leopard which I believe to be version 10.5.1 if that makes any difference.

If anyone has any ideas of what it going wrong, please share. Thanks.