[how-to] Newbie guide to installing retail Leopard on an Intel DG31PR mobo

lionsnob

49 posts in this topic

Hi all -

This is my attempt to give back to the community - I had a tough time finding this info since it was in so many separate places, so I thought I'd share what I wrote down. This took me about a week to hammer out ;)

My hardware is the following:

• Intel DG31PR motherboard
  • Core 2 Duo E4500, 2.2GHZ
  • 2 GB DDR800 RAM
  • 80 GB 2.5" SATA hard drive
  • Generic IDE DVD burner
  • Nvidia GeForce 7200GS video card because onboard X3100 seems hard to get working with QE/CI. This one works fine and it's only $25 (US).
  • PCI ethernet card. The onboard card works out of the box, but you need to install the RealtekR1000 driver, which didn't appeal to me for some reason. The PCI card worked out of the box with no extra drivers. And it's only $8 (US).

Here are the steps that I followed. NOTE: STEPS 6 AND 7 WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR HARD DISK!

1. Download a boot-132 CD. I found that the "generic.iso" version worked without any extra work, so that's the one I used. (Link - it's the link that says "Download .ISO with modified kexts:")
  2. After the .iso image is burned to a CD, insert the disk and boot up the machine. Make sure your BIOS is set to look at the optical drive first in the booting order.
  3. When the disk loads, a boot: prompt will appear. Eject the disk in the drive and load the Leopard retail disk. Hit enter.
  4. Your presented with a prompt to choose which disk to boot up with. Hit enter to use the default, and enter again to boot up.
  5. Leopard install will begin to load. When the CD is done loading, open Disk Utility by selecting it from the menu bar (I forgot to write down which menu).
  6. NOTE: THE NEXT TWO STEPS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON THE SELECTED HARD DISK AND MAY MAKE OTHERS INACCESSIBLE. Click on your hard disk. Under the Partition tab, under Volume Scheme, choose 1 Partition. Choose Options.... Make sure that GUID is checked, otherwise Leopard will not install.
  7. Click Apply.
  8. After the disk is done formatting, close Disk Utility and click through the Leopard install options to begin installation.
  9. When installation is complete, the PC will restart. At this point put your generic.iso CD back in the PC. When the disk loads, a boot: prompt will appear. Eject the disk. Hit enter. Type "80". This tells the bootloader to boot off of the primary disk. If you installed on a secondary disk, type "81". Hit enter.
  10. Leopard will begin booting off of your hard disk. You now have a working install!
  11. At this point, the PC is still in a state where you will have to have the CD in the drive to boot Leopard by following step 9. This can be alleviated using Chameleon. Google chameleon osx86 to find it.
  12. From your generic.iso CD, double click on initrd.img. From the resulting disk image, drill down into the folders until you see several .kext files. Copy dsmos.kext and IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/ The system will ask for your password before it copies the files.
  13. Open a Terminal window from Terminal.app in the utilities folder. Type in the window: nano /Library/Preferences/System/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
  14. Navigate to the <strings> </strings> line after the <key>Kernel Flags</key> line.
  15. Add "-f" (without the quotes) in between the string flag, so it looks like this: <strings>-f</strings>
  16. Install Chameleon from step 11.
  17. Take the CD out and reboot.
  18. The system should boot up. At this point, I would go to Software Update under the Apple menu and download the updates.

Notes:

1. For my video card (7000 series GeForce), I had to download Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 from Apple, install it using Pacifist, and install the latest NVInject.
  2. To get my sound working, I had to install the ALC888.txt file linked to on the wiki using AppleHDAPatcherv1.20. The ALC888.txt file can be found on the wiki, the AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 can be found here: (Link)

If you have to do the steps in "Notes," do them last. When the system updates itself, I've noticed that these steps may have to be repeated.

Hope this helps someone!

I think this might help me. My big problem is getting apple updates to not break my install. I am using a DFI Blood Iron mainboard. My audio is ALC885 and my video is a Visiontek 3870. I have had some success with the audio but not so much with the 3870. I know I can get this thing running right somehow. Any more tips?

Sorry, no :(

I wrote down each step I was doing and thought I'd share. This is my first build. From what I understand though, updates should not break a retail Leopard install. Have you installed off of the retail disk?

Sorry, no :(

I wrote down each step I was doing and thought I'd share. This is my first build. From what I understand though, updates should not break a retail Leopard install. Have you installed off of the retail disk?

Well I am not the only one it is happening to. Yes I installed off a retail dvd. One thing I did different than you was use the first link's image: Download .ISO Original with project kexts (all your need is here - noobs try this first): http://www.mediafire.com/?uwd9dtttjfk

I think you said you use the modified one...

Wow, it is a big difference in image size between the two.

You gotta love this board for compatibility. I had no problems with the on board LAN and did not install anything to make it work. Still no problems. I do need to try with the boot-132 method. I'm still using my brazilmac patched install which hasnt given me any problems. If it aint broke why fix it right.

I just can't bring myself to get a pci nic when there isn't so many slots on the board. I want to put a Silicon Image Raid Card and an Canopus ADVC-1394 video capture card in there and then all my slots will be filled.

btw, does this linux dump make the front panel audio in port work?

Hi adrock42 -

Yes, and it's cheap too!

I'm not using FP audio at the moment, so I don't know. I don't believe I installed the connector to the board yet. The onboard networking works, but doesn't work with Bonjour without the R1000 driver. The PCI card I had worked with Bonjour without any additional drivers, which is why I used it. It's a Realtek 8169S based card. It does take up a slot though.

The other thing I'm noticing is that many video cards cover up the PCI-Ex1 slot due to their massive heatsinks. Maybe this wouldn't be the case with a fanned card versus fanless.

i got a PNY 8800gt w/ 512mb which runs kinda hot, but doesnt cover up the PCIeX1 slot. I am using a cheep front panel controller for my front panel audio which just barely works, so hopefully my new case will fix the problem. Crossing my fingers.

it does use alc888, the taruga patcher at the dump file named alc888-b.txt works best for me. that file is exactly the same as my own codec dump. also there is an applehda.kext out there somewhere that enabled the system profiler to display correctly. it would be really cool if we could intergrate those into this guide so its an OBO installation.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My take on a DG31PR OS X Retail Install, with 10.5.5 update.

Hardware:

DG31PR

Q6600 Quad Core 2.4ghz

EVGA NVidia 8600 GTS 256mb (working on QE/CI at the moment, but I feel like I'm really close)

250gb SATA HD

Generic DVD Burner (IDE)

Generic OCHI compliant FireWire 400 card.

2gb 800mhz RAM.

What's working:

Everything (Though I have not tried the onboard Video)

What you need (In no particular order. Get it all before you start)

Older BIOS for the board v052

Leopard Retail Disk (Find / Buy yourself)

Apple 10.5.5 Delta Update

Bootloader CD (see the above tutorial) [use the one that will boot you Leopard Retail Disk. I found that the Modified KEXT one worked]

HDAEnabler Install (see above tutorial, or find newer ones)

Chameleon Bootloader [Or PCI-EFI if you wish]

OSX86 Tools (should come with Chameleon)

Some burnable CD's, maybe a DVD/DVD+DL.

A USB stick is handy of 1gb or more.

Alright, lets get busy!

1] Download and "update" your BIOS to v052.

- This makes it so your USB will work properly. I found like many others its the most compatable with Leo.

2] Follow lionsnob guide through step 12. (Thanks for the tutorial Lionsnob! It helped me greatly!)

3] Install the Chameleon Bootloader

4] Install the kexts using OSX86Tools (make sure OSX86Tools is somewhere on your OSX install drive, and not in an image file) instead of Copy Paste.

5] Install the HDAenabler Kexts for audio.

6] Use EFI Boot flag in OSX86Tools to add "-f" to the boot flag, and add your GFX card boot strings for QE/CI.

7] Run the Apple 10.5.5 updater and restart.

a] You may want to install the Realtek 10000 kext depending on your network performance.

Thanks to all those who's works helped me in my mini tutorial. BIG thanks to those who repackage and create scripts so its easier for the rest of us!

• 2 weeks later...

My take on a DG31PR OS X Retail Install, with 10.5.5 update.

Hardware:

DG31PR

Q6600 Quad Core 2.4ghz

EVGA NVidia 8600 GTS 256mb (working on QE/CI at the moment, but I feel like I'm really close)

250gb SATA HD

Generic DVD Burner (IDE)

Generic OCHI compliant FireWire 400 card.

2gb 800mhz RAM.

What's working:

Everything (Though I have not tried the onboard Video)

What you need (In no particular order. Get it all before you start)

Older BIOS for the board v052

Leopard Retail Disk (Find / Buy yourself)

Apple 10.5.5 Delta Update

Bootloader CD (see the above tutorial) [use the one that will boot you Leopard Retail Disk. I found that the Modified KEXT one worked]

HDAEnabler Install (see above tutorial, or find newer ones)

Chameleon Bootloader [Or PCI-EFI if you wish]

OSX86 Tools (should come with Chameleon)

Some burnable CD's, maybe a DVD/DVD+DL.

A USB stick is handy of 1gb or more.

Alright, lets get busy!

1] Download and "update" your BIOS to v052.

- This makes it so your USB will work properly. I found like many others its the most compatable with Leo.

2] Follow lionsnob guide through step 12. (Thanks for the tutorial Lionsnob! It helped me greatly!)

3] Install the Chameleon Bootloader

4] Install the kexts using OSX86Tools (make sure OSX86Tools is somewhere on your OSX install drive, and not in an image file) instead of Copy Paste.

5] Install the HDAenabler Kexts for audio.

6] Use EFI Boot flag in OSX86Tools to add "-f" to the boot flag, and add your GFX card boot strings for QE/CI.

7] Run the Apple 10.5.5 updater and restart.

a] You may want to install the Realtek 10000 kext depending on your network performance.

Thanks to all those who's works helped me in my mini tutorial. BIG thanks to those who repackage and create scripts so its easier for the rest of us!

Can you provide me with all the links to download the files

Does this method work with PS/2 keyboard and mouse or does it require a usb keyboard

I have installed Kalyway 10.5.2 yesterday and everything seems fine.

My specs are DG31PR mobo, 160 gb Sata, IDE DVD, XFX 7200 GS

Thanks lionsnob and camroid for the guides, this worked great for me. Anyone delve into fixing sleep problems? I've heard it's graphics card related on this mobo and wondered if anyone knew if there is a solution. I'm currently using efi strings.

My Specs:

DG31PR

Q6600

4GB

XFX 8800GT

Generic TI chipset firewire card

Sata HD, IDE DVD

All crammed into an old graphite case :huh:

Am I the only one who can't get the Chameleon disk image to mount?

I asked on Anandtech and was pointed to this:http://######.com/weaksauce12/?p=309

It worked, but once I used Software Update, the system won't boot anymore. It just goes to the gray apple screen and stops there.