Help Me Decide which Case to Buy

8 posts in this topic

OK, I've spent a while looking around and have a shortlist of two. My criteria for selection are:

- must be silver aluminium (to match Cinema Display, keyboard etc)

- solid build

- reasonably quiet (and definitely no rattles, oscillations etc)

- reasonable cooling

- enough space for up to 6 HDDs

- ATX

My shortlist of two comprises:

Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 V2

Cosmos.jpg

Second option is the Lian Li PC-V1010A

CA-126-LL_200.jpg

Both are about the same size - 600mm height. I have discounted the newer Cosmos S due to the extra noise it generates and the fact that it is no longer the silver alu. I like the Lian Li because of the clean lines and the fact I can use a Lian Li bezel to stealth the optical drive.

But.. I like the Cosmos 1000 because of the superior noise management. No need to worry about the ugly optical drive with the Cosmos because it is behind the door.

So, come on guys, what is your opinion? Is there anything else I should be considering? I don't have the time, skill or patience to do a Mac Pro or G5 case mod - just want a solid performing case that won't look out of place with the rest of my Apple gear.

Oh, and the hackintosh case I'm planning to replace is the Gigabyte Aurora 3D.

OK, I've spent a while looking around and have a shortlist of two. My criteria for selection are:

- must be silver aluminium (to match Cinema Display, keyboard etc)

- solid build

- reasonably quiet (and definitely no rattles, oscillations etc)

- reasonable cooling

- enough space for up to 6 HDDs

- ATX

My shortlist of two comprises:

Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 V2

Cosmos.jpg

Second option is the Lian Li PC-V1010A

CA-126-LL_200.jpg

Both are about the same size - 600mm height. I have discounted the newer Cosmos S due to the extra noise it generates and the fact that it is no longer the silver alu. I like the Lian Li because of the clean lines and the fact I can use a Lian Li bezel to stealth the optical drive.

But.. I like the Cosmos 1000 because of the superior noise management. No need to worry about the ugly optical drive with the Cosmos because it is behind the door.

So, come on guys, what is your opinion? Is there anything else I should be considering? I don't have the time, skill or patience to do a Mac Pro or G5 case mod - just want a solid performing case that won't look out of place with the rest of my Apple gear.

Oh, and the hackintosh case I'm planning to replace is the Gigabyte Aurora 3D.

I have Lian-Li and i would never again buy something from another vendor. The case is simply stable, stylish and you can build your rig several times without wounds without traces broken pieces or whatever. I cannot comment on the othe you mentioned.

Look@my sig.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think deep down I knew it was the Lian Li I wanted. I just needed someone else to confirm. For all of the positives around the Coolermaster, Lian Li seems to create raving fans in the same way that Apple does.

I've gone ahead and ordered the PC-V1010A case plus C-01A optical drive bezel. Cheapest deal in the UK right now is www.xcase.co.uk at a still eyewatering £157 GBP incl shipping. Ouch!

I'll let you know how I get on with the build - mine will be very similar to yours theotherone - with the exception that you've got a lot more grunt under the hood with the extra 4GB and the Raptors :P

As we are talking about cases here ... some weeks ago I saw a case that had a HDD-cage in it where you could just snap-in the hdds, just like in a raid-system. Unfortunately I trashed the link - does anyone know cases that have this feature?

I like the idea of it because it lets you fix the cables in position once they are placed.

Or does someone know trayless HDD racks for 4 or more drives that are mountable inside a case? Fanless naturally ;-)

There is the Icy Dock if you want an aftermarket pluggable SATA solution. Some cases come with this built in like the new Lian Li 1000Z chassis.

My personal experience was not so good. I found the bottom slot of the icydock solution didn't get any cooling from the built in 80mm fan and cooked itself to death :trumpet:

The Lian Li PC-V1010A arrived today. :blink: Will upload pics when I build.

It came in a very big box but even packaged up you can tell it is pretty damn light thanks to the all aluminium construction.