TSC sync XNU patch

Kassi

212 posts in this topic

Rapid{censored} won't let me download the 10.5.8 kernel

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

Can someone attach it to the board, or re-upload it and post a new link? Thanks a lot! And thanks to the guys for making this work.

10.5.8 sources are released!!!

I can't reply to your pms says no valid user

here's your answers though

#1. The patch is on the first post.

#2. the diff from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 is not any different.

#3. The cpu model is another hack initself that i'd have to add that involves getting the cpu from somethwere else.. and it has nothing to do w/ speed stepping. Speed stepping uses the model name, ie MacBookPro 4,1. THe size is double for vanilla because it contains ppc code as well as i386 code.

#4. darwinbuild.

Rapid{censored} won't let me download the 10.5.8 kernel

Can someone attach it to the board, or re-upload it and post a new link? Thanks a lot! And thanks to the guys for making this work.

done on the first post

Works on my Dell Inspiron 9400 !!!

Thanls a lot!!!!

PS. VMware Fusion crashes ??????

hmm don't know then, you may want to switch back to a voodoo kernel.

Yeah! Just updated my dell 620 (10.5.4 from retail disk with boot123 + software update 10.5.8) with patched 9.8 kernel and now I have 2 cores again.

But sound is not working now. Ok, i'll try to fix, that is not big problem (i hope). Greatest problem is that my keyboard un touchpad still isn't working. It stops working after 10.5.8 software update (maybe i had to use combo update?) and still don't work after this patched kernel. :( No problems with Airport - but i have broadcom wifi card installed instead of my original dell wifi card. Oh, and it looks like graphics cards still have some problems, not working smoothly.

I can't reply to your pms says no valid user

here's your answers though

#1. The patch is on the first post.

#2. the diff from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 is not any different.

#3. The cpu model is another hack initself that i'd have to add that involves getting the cpu from somethwere else.. and it has nothing to do w/ speed stepping. Speed stepping uses the model name, ie MacBookPro 4,1. THe size is double for vanilla because it contains ppc code as well as i386 code.

#4. darwinbuild.

Thank You for the answers, Cosmo1t!

I was aware, that OS X takes the Mac model in the first place to decide how to act, not the CPU model.

My Dell is set up as MacBookPro1,1 (as i have Yonah 1.67).

So, before upgrade I was using vanilla PM and it worked just fine.

Right now I use voodoopower to throttle CPU.

However, IORegistryExplorer shows, that even with vanilla PM ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin has stepper-data available and PerformanceStateArray has three different states. But with vanilla PM my CPU runs always at full freq.

But that's OK, voodoopower doing it's job right as it should. ;)

So, will learn how to make own kernel from the sources. Very interesting for noob like me. :)

Thanks again!

Awesome, Cosmo1t ! Thanks much. I also think I got my Airport issue nailed down as well, so now 10.5.8 is lookin' really good!

Good work, Leppy700M! :thumbsup_anim:

(I mean Your tutorial for D620)

;)

Thank You for the answers, Cosmo1t!

I was aware, that OS X takes the Mac model in the first place to decide how to act, not the CPU model.

My Dell is set up as MacBookPro1,1 (as i have Yonah 1.67).

So, before upgrade I was using vanilla PM and it worked just fine.

Right now I use voodoopower to throttle CPU.

However, IORegistryExplorer shows, that even with vanilla PM ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin has stepper-data available and PerformanceStateArray has three different states. But with vanilla PM my CPU runs always at full freq.

But that's OK, voodoopower doing it's job right as it should. ;)

So, will learn how to make own kernel from the sources. Very interesting for noob like me. :)

Thanks again!

what ar ethe different value sin ioreg and sysctl between the vanilla 10.5.8 (cpus=1) and the tsc 10.5.8? (for cpu name like you are saying)

Good work, Leppy700M! :)

;)

what ar ethe different value sin ioreg and sysctl between the vanilla 10.5.8 (cpus=1) and the tsc 10.5.8? (for cpu name like you are saying)

I'll check this right now and tell You.

What exactly should I compare?

UPD: Attached tsc info.

Going to reboot and make a vanilla files.

UPD2: Attached info for vanilla (with the second core disabled via CPU prefpane) and vanilla with "cpus=1" boot switch.

Also, given a screenshots of the "CPU Prefpane" (that one, from X-Code package).

TSC kernel:

post-175892-1250120963_thumb.png

Vanilla:

post-175892-1250121014_thumb.png

Vanilla with "cpus=1":

post-175892-1250121041_thumb.png

tsc_ioreg.txt

tsc_sysctl.txt

vanilla_ioreg.txt

vanilla_sysctl.txt

vanilla_cpus1_ioreg.txt

vanilla_cpus1_sysctl.txt

Good work, Leppy700M! :)

:rolleyes:

Thank you.

With minor modification, I think it will work for D620 and D630 with NVIDIA graphics, not that you seem to need it. Sounds like you've got things under control. By the way - you helped - thank you for that. You pointed me to the working Ethernet kext, which I can load from either boot-132 or Chameleon, and also works on my D630. Now with Dual core support for 10.5.8, it's a beautiful thing.

Thank you...

... By the way - you helped - thank you for that. You pointed me to the working Ethernet kext, which I can load from either boot-132 or Chameleon, and also works on my D630.

You're welcome! Ethernet i patched myself according the information found here. Thanks to all guys involved...

I like D620, it's almost perfect. :) That's why i want to make it 99% working. :thumbsup_anim:

With minor modification, I think it will work for D620 and D630 with NVIDIA graphics, not that you seem to need it.

For nVidia graphics that's very simple with the new Cameleon RC2.

You need to remove all GFX strings from boot.plist AND remove all injectors; then put autodetection flag: GraphicsEnabler=Yes

For me this works perfectly.

Sounds like you've got things under control. Now with Dual core support for 10.5.8, it's a beautiful thing.

Not everything, unfortunately. :thumbsup_anim:

One thing more I want badly: to figure out how to enable AHCI. I know D620 supports this. But Dell decided to strip the switch from the BIOS (obviously because of peoples' complains about crashing Windows after they switch to AHCI to cut down service-calls amount :rolleyes:)

I'll let You know if this succeeds.

:lol:

Not everything, unfortunately. :D

One thing more I want badly: to figure out how to enable AHCI. I know D620 supports this. But Dell decided to strip the switch from the BIOS (obviously because of peoples' complains about crashing Windows after they switch to AHCI to cut down service-calls amount ;))

I'll let You know if this succeeds.

:)

I noticed that myself. Although OS X sees the HD as a SATA device, the protocol used is ATA. On my D630, there's a switch in the BIOS, and I found a thread that showed my how to load the Intel ACHI drivers in windows post install (registry editing and all that). That made dual doot with the D630 nice. No such switch on the D620. It's a very minor thing, really. I don't know how much speed would really be gained with full AHCI support.

THe GMA950 graphics on the D620 aren't the best. I think that the Dell GMA950 implementation is the reason that sleep doesn't work right. And in order to use the internal display with hardware acceleration, a kext from Tiger is needed which causes some small artifacts. I can get correct resolution but no hardware acceleration with a custom DSDT file and an EFI string, but not full EFI support. I am seriously thinking of replacing the motherboard with one of the NVIDIA boards from E-bay to be rid of these issues.

Anyway, I realize we are off topic here, but you're impossible to send PMs to with your name displayed as it is.

Anyway, I realize we are off topic here, but you're impossible to send PMs to with your name displayed as it is.

You're right. This is not the right place for discussing our laptops.

Let's move to PMs. I'll change my nick (strange, but it worked before).

Description: read the topic's title/description.

The patch introduces a new boot arg; tscsync.

All credits goes to OUI

Hello all,

first, thanks to OUI, Kassi, cosmot1 for this work.

On a Dell 9400, I installed 10.5.3 Kalyway with 9.3 tscsync patched kernel from this thread,

took off cpu=1 and inserted -tscsync instead.

Now I have 2 cores but when screen saver kicks in, the flurring is not fluid, it is stuttering.

Speed is still 1ghz with "About this Mac" and "Sys profiler".

Using Xbench_1.3, I get ~50 for the cpu, quite similar to my G4 867Mhz.

Sound on video seems to be ok.

Something's wrong,

can someone help me to get this machine up to its top speed of 2ghz ?

Do I need some other patch like speedstep ?

Thanks in advance :)

Rob

Dell 9400 2Ghz, 2gb mem, OSX 10.5.3 kalyway, xp, Apple wifi card

Try without this switch.

Thanks,

pulled -tscsync flag

no change, screen saver still stuttering and bad xbench results....

I tried also with Flag

idehalt=0 - May stop stuttering, from:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...php/t58495.html

no good,

Xbench gives

total 34.96

CPU 41.33

Really bad ! :)

Any more suggestions I can try folks ?

Rob

EDIT

* I found the reason for the CPU 1GHZ LIMIT

The official Dell Power Supply, because of a broken wire inside the cable between the brick and the PC, could not use the third wire connected to the inner pin, to communicate with the PC, thus the PC BIOS would not allow max performance of the CPU and not charge the battery)

I repaired the cable and now the BIOS dialogues with the PC and it can put the CPU to 2 ghz.

and

it recharges the battery again, so it will last a bit more.

The Xbench now gives

total ~135

CPU ~140

The Screen saver is better but still shows a bit of a broken motion, I'll live with it for now.

10.6 sources are up.

:D

Has anyone tried SL on Dell yet?

I will this weekend.

Oops...

Didn't noticed:

Dell Latitude D820

Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33GHz, 4GB DDR2 667, 80GB SATA, Nvidia Quadro 120M/7400 Go, 15.4 WUXGA LCD

All running full retail 10.5.8 and Snow 10.6

10.6 sources are up.

:(

Has anyone tried SL on Dell yet?

I will this weekend.

Oops...

Didn't noticed:

yeah I has been install it but it only Cpus=1 even if the system profiler show us 2 core Look it‘s My Dell Latitude D820

post-220571-1251509918_thumb.jpg

post-220571-1251509932_thumb.jpg

post-220571-1251509943_thumb.jpg

Need kernel bad! There has to be a way to patch the dsdt to avoid the need for patched kernels. However i cant figure it out lol...my eyes are tired of research. Snow Leo of course.

Sorry I see you notice by yourself : full running 10.5.8 and 10.6 Could you tell me is it 2 core process running in 10.6?or if yet how can do it?

yeah I has been install it but it only Cpus=1 even if the system profiler show us 2 core Look it‘s My Dell Latitude D820

post-220571-1251509918_thumb.jpg

post-220571-1251509932_thumb.jpg

post-220571-1251509943_thumb.jpg

Sorry I see you notice by yourself : full running 10.5.8 and 10.6 Could you tell me is it 2 core process running in 10.6?or if yet how can do it?

No there is no two core process yet lol. Stutters like hell! Threw cpus=1 in my plist til future notice. I wish there was a way we could fix our dsdt.

And have you been able to get your ethernet to work yet?

• 2 weeks later...