Opera pre-installed in OS-X?

Denicio

6 posts in this topic

The other day i tried opening a .swf file without, Opera appeared from nowhere, ran the file for me.

I have never installed Opera on my Leopard 10.5.2 (Leo4All), and if I remember correctly same thing was happening in 10.4.x.

Anyone care to explain?

just checked in spotlight and yep, opera is listed there as well :angel: though not the latest version... weird eh?

Someone told me that Adobe installs Opera (for example Photoshop).

Can anyone confirm?

I can also confirm this as it's been on my system since I installed the Creative Suite 3, it's in the packaged content in Adobe programs, I tested it a while ago by running it and getting it to show in the finder.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for this thread... now it makes sense.

After a bit of checking, some right-clicking/Open With... clicking and a bit of magic with Activity Monitor's Inspect button, not only does CS4 install opera, but it's embedded inside 2 other applications (Bridge and Device Central) and not only includes 2 full copies of Opera but in fact 2 completely different versions!!

9.27 Build 3731

/Applications/Adobe Bridge CS4/Adobe Bridge CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Opera.app

9.20 Build 3670

/Applications/Adobe Device Central CS4/Device Central.app/Contents/MacOS/Required/Opera.app

What the hell? This is just plain weird. At least the mystery's solved though... thanks for the thread folks!