Install Mac OS X 10.5.4 from retail Leopard DVD on PCs with Photos

copperboy

17 posts in this topic

There is no performance increase from MBR to GUID.

Quick guide:

Rule No.1: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext MUST BE REMOVED from /System/Library/Extensions/

Rule No.2: dsmos.kext MUST BE put into /System/Library/Extensions/

If you follow the rules above, at least you should have your Intel PC running Mac OS X 10.5. Just find the right drivers for your hardware.

Special thanks to tseug from InsanelyMac Forum

I am not quite familiar with the rich-contents editing, so if you guys need the files listed below, please visit my blog for the link address

http://tinyurl.com/5mfkd7

This has been tested on a MSI 945GCM5-F V2 motherboard with the H00 BIOS, SATA hard drive, IDE DVD writer and an Apple USB Keyboard Pro. The retail DVD version was 10.5 which was released on Oct 28, 2007. And the Chameleon Boot Loader was version 1.0.11. This how-to is for those who have Intel Core-based CPU and Intel Chipsets.

Before you start, you'll need:

An empty hard drive, if it is not empty, backup your files, because we are going to partition it as GUID scheme.

A blank CD-R or CD-RW, used to burn the Chameleon ISO.

A retail Leopard DVD, yes, we install Mac OS X from retail DVD.

The 10.5.4 combo update (Get it here), I bet you know why we need this.

Chameleon Installer, get it at #chameleon on irc.osx86.hu

Chameleon GA-P35-DS4_ISO (Get it here), I think the iso is backward capatible, because it works on my 945GC set-up.

the kexts pack: at least it should contain dsmos.kext, and you can prepare more MODIFIED kexts like AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, etc... (MODIFIED kexts can be found on the forum, but for me, stock kexts work without any problems.)

EFIStudio (Get it here), it would be much easier for you to add the gfx-strings for your video card.

OSX86Tools Utility (Get it here), use it to backup and install kexts.

Now let's start, shall we?

Burn the GA-P35-DS4_ISO using your favorite ISO burning software.

Boot your PC with the CD we just burned.

Once you get a prompt, exchange the CD with your Mac OS X retail DVD, wait a few seconds and press Enter TWICE. You should now boot into the OS X installation.

Click Utilities -> Disk Utility, and: 1. Erase your hard drive (You have your files backed up, haven't you?); 2. Partition it with GUID (Check Options...), the number of partitions is up to you, but make sure that the first partition is at least 30GB. In my example, I give the first partition, or the target partition, a name of Mac.

Quit Disk Utility and install OS X on Mac, you can de-select printers' drivers and languages that you don't need.

When the installer is done it will probably tell you that installation failed, because the installer couldn't set Mac as startup device. Just ignore that and click Restart. When the screen goes black, exchange your OS X DVD with the burned CD in step 1.

Boot into the CD, and this time, press Enter ONCE, then enter 80(or 81, it depends, if 80 shows your Windows HDD, just press ESE and enter 81) to boot into your new OS X installation. Fill out the various forms. Backup your kexts with OSX86Tools Utility to some foder named kext_10.5.

Now you need to install the 10.5.4 combo update, when finished, click restart.

Boot into the CD again, and boot into your OS X hard drive. Your PC will probably restart once. Just repeat the procedure.

You should now running Mac OS X 10.5.4. Backup your kexts with OSX86Tools Utility to some folder named kext_10.5.4. Rmove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/

Now you need to install the kexts pack, EFI-strings, and the Chameleon boot loader.

install kexts (with OSX86Tools Utility): at least dsmos.kext, you can add more kexts like AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, etc...

EFI-string (with EFIStudio): I can only install strings for my 7300GT video card. If you cannot find your video card in the list, then you should install natit.kext or nvinject.kext with OSX86Tools Utility.

Chameleon boot loader: the easist, just double-click on it.

Eject the burned CD and reboot. This time you should be able to boot into OS X without the use of the CD. It's almost done here. But for me, there is one things to do: AppleHDA.kext won't recogize my ALC888, I need to install Azallia to get 2-channel sound.

Status report after install:

CPU Pentium Dual-Core E2160 oc 2.4GHz (BSEL Mod) Working OOB, recogized as 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo

Motherboard MSI 945GCM5-F V2 (945GC + ICH7) Working OOB

HDD 2 * Hitachi 160GB 7200rpm 8MB Working OOB, with GUID, the other one is for Windows

DVD IDE Philips DVD writer with SolidBurn Working OOB

Video ONDA 7300GT 256MB GDDR3 Working, with EFI strings from EFIStudio

Audio ALC888 Working, only 2-channel out, with Azallia

Ethernet Realtek RTL81111 PCI-E Gigabit, Working OOB

Wireless Broadcom 4306 802.11b/g, Working after the 10.5.4 combo update

USB card reader Working OOB

You see. I still have Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/

Retail Install means

1. Boot-132

2. remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

3. put dsmos.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/

4. optional, put modified AppleSMBIOS.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/

5. Install Chameleon

That's it.

post-35467-1216277284_thumb.jpg

thanks this worked for me, the only problem that i seem to be having is that everytime i boot i have to put in -v and -f for it to boot. other than that everything is working. thats shutdown, restart, audio, internet, graphics card, time machine, and i finally am able to update to 10.5.4 which is great. thanks for the guide.

another thing, i cant install on MBR. i would like to do this to dual boot windows and os x on the same HDD but when i try to format as MBR during install it said that OS X could only be installed on a GUID partition scheme so i had no choice but to format my whole HD to GUID but i have all the windows stuff backed up, just want to know if there is a way to dual boot. if not i guess i will buy another HD. pretty cheap 80 gigs for 50 bucks which is all i need for os x considering i used to use about 70 and i didnt fill that up but that is because i have a 250 gig external HDD.

Very nice, Ill give it a go!

Have you managed to get dual screen working with you 7300GT? I have the same with VGA + DVI but can only get one or the other, not both at the same time. :(

I don't have two monitors, but I can assure you that both DVI and VGA works. Normally my LCD is attached to DVI, and I switch it to the VGA without restarting Leopard, the desktop is still there.

If the EFI string doesn't work for the dual displaying, I guess you'd better try natit dual kext (Before you put natit into the extensions folder, be sure the EFI string is removed from the plist). It might work.

I thought with the intelpmdisabler kext you could leave the acpi kext in place. Is this not true?

Do you mean the AppleACPIPlatform.kext? It always sits in the extensions folder. And I can assure you it's from the stock 10.5.4.

So if I got a Retail Leopard DVD and installed it, would I get better performance then with a Kalyway DVD install?

The short answer is NO. But you will be able to use software update for safety. You don't need to wait for the kalyway combo update.

Time Machine, in iATKOS or Kalyway distributions, does not work the same way as we see in the Apple's leopard introduction video. I installed from retail, kept all the kexts except AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and finally I found myself having the same problems as some real Mac users encounter: Time Machine says "Backup volume cannot be found." I am working on it and I find the solution, but I haven't tried it myself.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1480141

the might-be solution:

==============

Will, you're a genius! I followed your basic procedure, with the same excellent results--the G4 is doing a full Time Machine backup as I type.

Here's an easy way to do this without deleting the existing files:

Quit all applications, open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type in the following commands:

# sudo mv /Library/Preferences /Library/Preferences.old

# sudo mv /Library/Caches /Library/Caches.old

# sudo reboot

After restarting, you'll have to reconfigure most of your System Preferences, but Time Machine should be working again. I'm not sure which file(s) might be responsible for Time Machine going kaput, but maybe I can fish around in the old directories and see if I can find anything.

==============

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have finally got around to trying this, but so far no luck. ;) I have been fiddling around for about 5 hours now, so Im getting a bit frustrated! I have just figured out how to (for the first time) get vanilla kernels running, I needed to change some options in the bios and wallah!

I am running an Asus P5L-VM (945G) with an E4400 C2D and had to enable "Execute disable function" and "Max CPUID value limit" (source, for some reason this wasn't in the HCL, so I've updated it).

Anyway, on to my problem. I am using the Charmeleon ISO you have posted above (run from a USB key, as described here) and retail leopard (running from a USB key), I have only removed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and added the dsmos.kext. The problem I am having is that I get the hangy-taking-ages-to-boot problem, I expect if I left it, it would **eventually** boot, but I don't particuly want to. Anyway, Ill keep searching, but if anyone knows a solution please let me know!

This is an old-school install, with the current methods, no files need deleting from /S/L/E.

[edit]

Essentially, it seems this "guide" skips one of the most useful parts of the new vanilla installs by not following through with an /Extra folder with properly edited kexts.

"new-school" ;) guide at: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288

(Although personally I'm a fan of restoring the leo dvd to a usb stick & installing from there, as it allows more flexibility.)

This is an old-school install, with the current methods, no files need deleting from /S/L/E.

[edit]

Essentially, it seems this "guide" skips one of the most useful parts of the new vanilla installs by not following through with an /Extra folder with properly edited kexts.

"new-school" :) guide at: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288

(Although personally I'm a fan of restoring the leo dvd to a usb stick & installing from there, as it allows more flexibility.)

This "guide", as you call it, is a slight modifcation of mine, which is here, so most of the choices made was mine. I thought there was a need for a guide that take pains to make the installation process as accessible as possible, while making sure the end result was stable and working.

The new school is still pretty new, and most people still use a CD or a USB device to boot up, which is a bit annoying. Grub is of course possible on the hard drive (which is what I use to play around with boot-132), but that's not as easy as installing using a CD and then run a couple of installers.

I have no doubt that eventually the "new school" (or "bleeding edge", as I would call it) will win out, but I have been unable to make it work reliably.

If the new school is a better method at this point, then that must mean that you have been able to figure out a way to reliably provide modified versions of existing extensions on the boot volume., which DFE originally stated was a problem. Also, EFI strings seem not to be loaded. Could you maybe point me in the right direction?

If the new school is a better method at this point, then that must mean that you have been able to figure out a way to reliably provide modified versions of existing extensions on the boot volume., which DFE originally stated was a problem. Could you maybe point me in the right direction?

I figured out nothing, it's all there in black & white.. Copy the extensions from your initrd to /Extra/Extensions, install chameleon & replace the "boot" file in / with the one off the cd. There are now a plethora of extensions available geared towards this, such as Disabler.kext & smbiosenabler/applesmbiosefi which have osbundlerequired set to root & a higher ioprobe score than what they are replacing.. I use a patched applepIIxata.kext, for instance, to ease installation on ich* boards.

For sound, gfx, & networking I still favour EFI strings, although this means you have to watch out for com.apple.Boot.plist being changed, it's just 1 file to back up as opposed to keeping track of injectors, which seem to be the kexts that give people trouble in running from initrd/Extra. Admittedly this means you may need to add a patched AppleHDA for now, but I fully expect that this will evolve to a point that EFI strings and additions to /S/L/E are redundant.

The advantage of keeping all the patches in 1 place is not to be underestimated, as it simplifies debugging & troubleshooting no end, as well as helping to update-proof the install.

(all credit for files mentioned go to their respective creators, not me)

I figured out nothing, it's all there in black & white.. Copy the extensions from your initrd to /Extra/Extensions, install chameleon & replace the "boot" file in / with the one off the cd.

I didn't mean you as a person but you as a community. Thanks for this, though. I completely missed that.

There are now a plethora of extensions available geared towards this, such as Disabler.kext & smbiosenabler/applesmbiosefi which have osbundlerequired set to root & a higher ioprobe score than what they are replacing.. I use a patched applepIIxata.kext, for instance, to ease installation on ich* boards.

Is there any place specifically where they go into detail on which kexts replaces what? Most of the thread I've read are of the type "add these 30 kexts and it'll work" instead of explaining why they are needed.

For sound, gfx, & networking I still favour EFI strings, although this means you have to watch out for com.apple.Boot.plist being changed, it's just 1 file to back up as opposed to keeping track of injectors, which seem to be the kexts that give people trouble in running from initrd/Extra. Admittedly this means you may need to add a patched AppleHDA for now, but I fully expect that this will evolve to a point that EFI strings and additions to /S/L/E are redundant.

The advantage of keeping all the patches in 1 place is not to be underestimated, as it simplifies debugging & troubleshooting no end, as well as helping to update-proof the install.

(all credit for files mentioned go to their respective creators, not me)

I'm sure you're right.

Is there any place specifically where they go into detail on which kexts replaces what? Most of the thread I've read are of the type "add these 30 kexts and it'll work" instead of explaining why they are needed.

Yeah same here too, is there an easy way of seeing what effect they will have other than trial and error / searching the forums?

I'm currently posting this from a "new school" (10.5.4) install and I haven't had any of the problems mentioned by others. It's simple you just boot from Boot-132 CD, swap in the Retail and hit enter (maybe with -f -v?). It boots up fine you install to a GPT hard drive and wait a while. Next you just boot up from USB or CD again put your extensions in the "Extra Contents" folder on the Chameleon DFE installer, run the .pkg choose your partition and now you can boot without CD or USB and all your kexts are in the one place.

(I take no credit for what I've written above it's just stuff I've picked up around the forum, take a look at the BOOT-132 thread for heaps better info)

• 1 month later...
Yeah same here too, is there an easy way of seeing what effect they will have other than trial and error / searching the forums?

Well I will give it a shot, and realize that I can be completely wrong here, so if anyone else has any better info please interject. These are the only kext's that I have in the /Extra/Extensions folder. My /System/Library/Extensions is completely vanilla just like on a real Mac.

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext - This one is the one that disables or prevents from loading the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext; with this one I don't have to worry about running the script that checks every few seconds and deletes the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext from /S/L/E

AppleACPIPlatform.kext - Actually this is the stock one with 4 bytes modified for the reboot fix; although I don't think I actually need this one

AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext - This is ChaunNun's SMBIOS fix to make my System Profiler work. This way I get all the correct information when running "About This Mac"; some may want to use the SMBIOSEnabler.kext by Kabyl, it just didn't work on my system

dsmos.kext - Used to decrypt certain binaries; I would like to experiment with the AppleDecrypt.kext one day

AppleAHCIPort.kext - this one is in the /Extra/Extensions, but it is the stock one copied from /System/Library/Extensions; I could possibly delete it, since it is the same

I should also add that I had to install the patched AppleHDA in my /S/L/E folder for working sound. Other than that I am completely stock, system is very stable, everything works. I am also running Leopard 10.5.4. I installed using the boot-132 method from a retail Leopard 10.5 DVD, then used the software updater to apply 10.5.4. I then experimented with removing kext's from the /Extra/Extensions folder till I got it down pretty close to a minimum. I am also using EFI strings.

Anyone feel free to interject any comments you may have regarding the kernel extensions.