Apple files lawsuit against Psystar

nano2nd

15 posts in this topic

So much for the Apple = Psystar theories.

I know, I kinda hoped The Woz was behind it. Especially after the comments he made a while back:

"I like the price, so I may get one" - The Woz

The irony in all this is that, back in their college days, both Steve Jobs and Wozniak were into phone phreaking and built their own black/blue boxes to stick it to the Telcos. Now the tables are turned and Steve J is "The Man". ;)

Lets just see if the hammer comes down on the wider "scene" now..

Lets just see if the hammer comes down on the wider "scene" now..

I hope not because while I've been reading thos forum off and on since last December, I'm just about to try and build my first "Mac" for my father.

Web site seems to be down; just tried to go there, so that might be the end of it ...

The web site is often down.

I fixed a lot of bugs on my Psystar "OpenComputer" (sold to me as an "OpenMac"), and reported each to Psystar, but they didn't bother to fix any of them. I really didn't expect them to, either. They were only in it for the bucks, not for the Buck Rogers.

Psystar's "solution" to not being able to Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! the hard drive to a backup was, ultimately, to offer a replacement hard drive for $200 up front, with $150 being refundable when your original hard drive was returned to them.

I've gone with a Shuttle solution (SG31S2), and my "OpenMac" is now stored, inoperational.

PeterHaas: I've gone with a Shuttle solution (SG31S2), and my "OpenMac" is now stored, inoperational.

You could always run down to the store, buy a copy of Vista and install it. Then take the PshyStar to California and toss it in the Pacific. Hit Disneyland on the way home, and call it a wash.

(P.S. typed from my Vista workstation, so don't flame me.)

The web site is often down.

I fixed a lot of bugs on my Psystar "OpenComputer" (sold to me as an "OpenMac"), and reported each to Psystar, but they didn't bother to fix any of them. I really didn't expect them to, either. They were only in it for the bucks, not for the Buck Rogers.

Psystar's "solution" to not being able to Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! the hard drive to a backup was, ultimately, to offer a replacement hard drive for $200 up front, with $150 being refundable when your original hard drive was returned to them.

I've gone with a Shuttle solution (SG31S2), and my "OpenMac" is now stored, inoperational.

I cant belive you bought one of those pieces of {censored}!

It will NOT be interesting if the company doesn't have any money; Apple has plenty of cash to sue with. Sometimes, it makes no difference who is right -- the money is the different. BTW, this is NO way, says that Psystar is right. I don't know that answer but I'd gamble and say that Apple is probably right ...

alright this tests our project's legality.....

Psystar is a commercial enterprise selling hardware. There's a huge difference between selling hardware (using Apple's trademarks and logos to do it) and installing a legally purchased piece of software on hardware you already own for personal use.

The pre-packaged downloads we all know and love are clearly illegal (that's why certain places cannot even be mentioned on this site). If that's your "project" then no further "test" is necessary. It's illegal. BUT ... if your project is installing a copy of OSX YOU LEGALLY PURCHASED on your own hardware, then that's where Apple's EULA has never been tested. PsyStar's commercial enterprise is a different thing altogether than the first two.

I originally thought the whole Psystar thing was a hoax and I was wrong. I might be wrong again. I'd like to see the whole filing. I'm sure it will be available once the story hits slashdot.