Vanilla kernel, but can't upgrade...why not?

bond00

4 posts in this topic

I'm running Leo4All on a C2D 2.4ghz, Intel Chipset ICH8, 8600M GT video card, and azalia sound. My specs are pretty darn good (compatibility wise) for a hackintosh being a laptop. My question is...why can't I install updates (10.5.3) via the Update Manager if I'm running a vanilla kernel? It always locks up.

Obviously, some updates work like itunes, quicktime, java, etc., but 10.5.3 for example wouldn't work. Is there some other aspect of my hacked OS that is causing the update process to lock up? Thanks for the clarification.

Also, if I install using the new Boot 132 method will I have still have this problem with some updates or will ALL updates work with that method?

NOTE: I know that updating to 10.5.3 doesn't work for anyone else either even with a vanilla kernel. This is purely for my learning as to why not!

2 reasons:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and Don't Steal Mac OS.kext; these 2 files are present in Apple system updates (aside from 10.5.4 delta update); I believe the power management kext doesn't work because it's motherboard specific and relies on the Apple EFI chip to work (not sure though), the Don't Steal Mac OS.kext is an integrity check to make sure it's on genuine Apple hardware (looks for info in the EFI, I believe); dsmos.kext is a replacement and gets around this somehow.