Something's up with last year's Santa Rosa MBP

limini

11 posts in this topic

I've already had 2 friends having to get their MBP fixed (Santa Rosa from June of last year) because of this problem. Good thing they had Applecare, cause their first year just expired. Discussed in this huge thread at the Apple discussion forums.

Maybe this has something to do with Nvidia's revelation about faulty laptop GPUs. No details on which GPUs yet, but one suspects...

Oh boy...

AppleCare is recommending replacing the logic board, which some have gone through with, only to have the machine return to an unusable state shortly afterwards. Compounding the issue is the fact that this problem has arisen only shortly after the expiration of the default warrantee on these machines (this issue seems to only affect machines shipped around June, 2007), thus causing the logic board replacement to cost upwards of 400$ for those who did not purchase extended warranties. If you are experiencing the issues detailed below, please add yourself to the spreadsheet and visit our thread on the Apple Support forums, so we can get a reasonably accurate count of affected users.

Yeah, thanks Apple for spreading the happiness and the work for my old boss! Gosh -_-

Great solution at all: Change the logicboard = 400$$$. Students would be happy about this uhh ;)

If you're the type to watch the late stock tickers, you might have noticed that NVIDIA's stock just took a pretty big hit, down 24 percent to $13.56 -- that's because the company just informed investors that "significant quantities" of previous-generation graphics chips have been failing at "higher than normal rates," [...]

One reason of this quality drop ever seen, CHINA!

Cheap, cheaper and better cheaper! Don't try to convince me it's by a faulty production batch. Over thousand people are concern by that..

Anyway, the night would be good :D

When I got my iMac, lots of people complained, Macs crshing, overheating, loads of issues with these ones.

But mine never had an issue. I have noticed, it is better to buy from an Apple Store, and buy the early peices. Mine was one of the five original peices to arrive in India.

Don't put all the blame on Apple yet. I've been reading speculation at [H]ardOCP (a real tech forum, not an Apple hacking forum) that it's the NVIDIA 8400M graphics chips that are bad. This is hot on the heels of the NVIDIA announcement that they have a whole batch of defective mobile chips. It seems that the 13" Dell XPS machines that used this chip are failing left and right as well.

Don't put all the blame on Apple yet. I've been reading speculation at [H]ardOCP (a real tech forum, not an Apple hacking forum) that it's the NVIDIA 8400M graphics chips that are bad.

Actually I'm pretty sure Apple isn't to blame here. But I hope the list doesn't grow to include the 8600M GT because ALL the MBPs since Mid-2007, including the new Penryns, use that GPU.

Meh, think I'll skip the Macbook Pro this time thank you very much. Being a guinea pig doesn't suit me. Although, the vostro I looked at as an alternative comes with the same chip so.. I think I'll hold off entirely for now :/

Hurry up apple. Order some ATI chips ! :)

Meh, think I'll skip the Macbook Pro this time thank you very much. Being a guinea pig doesn't suit me. Although, the vostro I looked at as an alternative comes with the same chip so.. I think I'll hold off entirely for now :/

Hurry up apple. Order some ATI chips ! :(

nVidia is good too, just because of a mixup doesn't mean that their GPUs suck. I'm going to buy a Penryn MBP and will be confident doing so. Plus, it will be covered by warranty. ^_^

I don't really doubt Nvidia on the whole. As an avid Linux user I don't think I have an ATI chipset in the house (stops and thinks it over), I have:

1 Intel GMA950

1 Intel X3100

1 Nvidia 7800GTX GO (laptop)

1 Nvidia 8600GS

1 Nvidia 8800GT

1 Nvidia 8800GTX

But the thing is, if the chips they've made aren't quite good for laptop-use. Then it's a problem, and if I invest in a Macbook Pro I can't have it running for just 3 years. It might not be my main PC after a while, but being a student means a Macbook Pro is a serious investment - so I'll at least want it to work as an extra machine :P

Then there's the issue of competition, AMD/ATI is having a really hard time right now and I wouldn't like to see them die as that would generally lead to a rise in hardware costs as intel would have a monopoly on CPU's and Nvidia would have a monopoly on high-end GPU's.

Coupled with the fact that ATI delivers mobile cards like the ATI Mobility 3870 which is faster than the 8600M I'd say that this wouldn't be a bad route at all.

It would benefit the market overall (and I'm sure Apple is interested in cheap hardware prices as well) and we as customers would be assured that our laptop GPU chips wouldn't die off after a year or so.