64bit vs 32bit osx86

Dewdman42

14 posts in this topic

I am starting to wonder if I am missing some aspect in my install. I recently submitted a Geekbench result to their website. When I was looking around for comparisons I found someone else with the same cpu and overclock getting a significantly better result. When I looked closer I could see that his system was identified as being a 64bit platform, but mine was identified as being a 32bit platform.

For some reason I thought I was 64bit already. I'm beginning to think that perhaps there is some configuration I am missing out on to make sure I'm running Leopard at 64bit.

Does anyone know anything about this or more about how Geekbench would identify my system as 32bit vs the other guy's being identified as 64bit?

I am starting to wonder if I am missing some aspect in my install. I recently submitted a Geekbench result to their website. When I was looking around for comparisons I found someone else with the same cpu and overclock getting a significantly better result. When I looked closer I could see that his system was identified as being a 64bit platform, but mine was identified as being a 32bit platform.

For some reason I thought I was 64bit already. I'm beginning to think that perhaps there is some configuration I am missing out on to make sure I'm running Leopard at 64bit.

Does anyone know anything about this or more about how Geekbench would identify my system as 32bit vs the other guy's being identified as 64bit?

Unless you have paid for it Geekbench only runs the 32bit tests, as well Leopard is a 32/64bit mixed system it can run 64bit binaries but the vast majority of programs you can get for it are only 32bit.

Ah, that explains it. So in theory if I pay for Geekbench I might see a better number. No worries..thanks.

Definitely I get a little lower than you on a 32bit and around 67?? for 64bit you would probably get about 68?? as it seems to scale linearly with cpu speed in my experience using it.

I am getting around 6400 with 32bit and the other guy with similar cpu was getting 6800, so not insignificant, especially since mine is overclocked a little higher than his. The two biggest areas of improvement under 64bit are integers and streaming

I am getting around 6400 with 32bit and the other buy with similar cpu was getting 6800, so not insignificant. the two biggest areas of improvement under 64bit are integers and streaming

Exactly the 64bit instructions do better in those areas of the test.

Holy smokes batman. My Geekbench score soared to 7221 with the 64bit version of geekbench.

I guess modbin kernel, whatever that is, is not necessary for me.

So I guess this simply means that clean 64bit apps will run faster on my machine than the 32bit apps, which most of them probably still are.

Its all good.

Simplest test is to run the included Chess Game and go into Activity Monitor and see if Chess is running in 64 bit mode. It is the only 64 bit app to be bundled with the OS (I may be wrong)