InsanelyMac Forum
Guest BuildSmart

PCI Utils

Guest BuildSmart

For those looking for the pciutils, I have re-ported the applications and include the PCILib framework which provides a much better Darwin/MacOSX implementation.

Attached are 3 archives, the source for PCITools v2.2.9 software including the v2.2.9 framework, a universal installer for PCITools v2.2.9 and a universal installer for the newer PCITools v3.0.0 which at this time is not available anywhere but insanelymac.com.

The binaries have been compiled to work in 10.4.x and 10.5.x on Intel or PPC Macs and Hacks.

People reported issues with the binaries but no one reported any details of the crash so it is impossible to determine if the issue is their machine or the binaries but since I provided the source I don't understand why they didn't build and install it to see if the binaries are at fault, for those who don't know how to do this here are the commands on how, expand the archive in your home directory, open a terminal window and issue the following commands

cd PCITools-2.2.9; xcodebuild; sudo xcodebuild DSTROOT=/ install

and restart the machine.

I built and tested these binaries, all tests were reported on Core 2 DUO or better machines and I did not experienced any crashes.

I have re-uploaded everything so at this time, anyone experiencing any issues has probably got some hidden problem with their system cause I couldn't get it to crash 1 time on 11 different machines.

In case you don't know how a framework works, if you build the source you actually have to install it to test it because the applications rely upon the framework to do it's thing, and ownership/permissions is important and this is why I provided a binary installation to ensure they were built and installed properly.

NOTE:

Please don't send me any PM's unless you been invited to do so, I am not here to provide personalized support for free and there are other people here who can answer pretty much any question you might have.

If you try to build the framework and you experience an issue trying to load the extension without having the framework installed in it's destination it is clear you have no clue how linking or a frameworks works and should not be attempting to generate your own installation, use the provided binaries and save yourself from looking like a fool.

UPDATE:

updated pci ID's and lspci/setpci man pages to reflect Mac OS X installation options.

PCITools_2.2.9.tar.gz

PCI_Tools_v2.2.9.pkg.zip

PCI_Tools_v3.0.0.pkg.zip

Advertisement

Thanks for the work! I was using the other OS X PCI Utils port from that other x86dev forum for OSx86 Tools, but I will see if I can update it to this version :)

Funny toy!

Why we need it? To crash a system?

Old problem

sergey:~/Desktop/PCITools-2.2.9/build/Release root# kextload -v /Off/PCI*
kextload: extension /Off/PCITools.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loading extension /Off/PCITools.kext
kld(): /Off/PCITools.kext/Contents/MacOS/PCITools load command 2 unknown cmd field
kextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /Off/PCITools.kext/Contents/MacOS/PCITools
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /Off/PCITools.kext
load failed for extension /Off/PCITools.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)
sergey:~/Desktop/PCITools-2.2.9/build/Release root#

I resolve the problem with Joblo's pciutil (www.x86dev.org) which is the same.

Guest BuildSmart
Funny toy!Why we need it? To crash a system?Old problem
sergey:~/Desktop/PCITools-2.2.9/build/Release root# kextload -v /Off/PCI*kextload: extension /Off/PCITools.kext appears to be validkextload: loading extension /Off/PCITools.kextkld(): /Off/PCITools.kext/Contents/MacOS/PCITools load command 2 unknown cmd fieldkextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /Off/PCITools.kext/Contents/MacOS/PCIToolskextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /Off/PCITools.kextload failed for extension /Off/PCITools.kext (run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)sergey:~/Desktop/PCITools-2.2.9/build/Release root#

I resolve the problem with Joblo's pciutil (www.x86dev.org) which is the same.

You didn't resolve the problem, you can't even see that the problem is your build.From what I can see, you built the source and it doesn't work, you loaded with "-v" and you should have loaded with "-vt" to get a detailed description of the error and, the error I do see is a link error to libkld which means that libkld is missing or not installed on your system.I'm not going to hold your hand so you can build it properly, this you should be able to do all by yourself and instead of complaining that there is something wrong with the code maybe you should spend the time learning how to build i properly.
I used Joblo's one and it works great, although its version 1.0.1.
Advancement in functionality is a very good reason to upgrade the software, if you wanna build it yourself, make sure you know how to build it properly, just because it's an XCode project doesn't mean it's built properly just because you click the build icon.

Guest BuildSmart

I received via e-mail some praise which details the improvements in functionality and flexibility in linking applications through the use of the PCILib framework.

When built and properly installed the framework allows for a greater environmentally compliant use of linking and does not suffer link issues normally experienced through the use of weak-linked libraries.

I'm considering the expansion of the framework and driver to expand the capabilities and functionality of the product.

If you are familiar with the IOKit framework, know how to use it, have a desktop computer and some time available then perhaps you can assist me with this project and we can expand it's functionality to include the ability make changes permament.

Once these changes have been implemented and tested we can provide the entire project as an open source project providing a useable base in which to further expand from.

Guest BuildSmart

I was able to obtain the source for DPCIManager (thanks duddie) and in the next couple of days I'm going to rework it to use the framework and extract the data from the PCI slots rather than the registry which may not contain devices that are not listed in it as well as expand it to include the subsystem information.

Guest BuildSmart
keep up the good work.
integrating the DPCIManager source is a pain however, the author has a nice grasp on the IORegistry and it's some of the nicest code I've seen from a nobody in a long time (of course it has it's areas of cruft but overall excellent IMO).

let me use the opportunity to ask if there are any advantages of 'pcitools' compared to 'reggie'?

thank you

Could you please provide the source for the 3.0.0 modifications (or did your changes to 2.2.9 apply cleanly to 3.0.0). I'd like to take a look at the changes made. Thanks.

Guest BuildSmart
Could you please provide the source for the 3.0.0 modifications (or did your changes to 2.2.9 apply cleanly to 3.0.0). I'd like to take a look at the changes made. Thanks.
The source for 3.0.0 is not currently available, the patches wont apply but I will remove the custom library functions and apps I added over the next couple of weeks and provide the project source that builds the posted 3.0.0 binaries.

If you're only using the binary why do you need the source?

There seems to be a big push at this time to not release any source because people are under the impression that someone or some company is getting rich off of their work.

They see someone else getting money (not much mind you) and they want to be paid, they whine with that raped virgin look, they don't consider any expenses being incurred by the use of this software or the legal fees that are being spent due to it's use, they only see that they are not getting paid and someone else is so in retaliation they stop releasing software that the community can benefit from.

I personally don't care one way or another myself, I do know that no matter what you do, you cannot alter an existing license that source is released under so the yahoo's who think that they can take apple source and modify the license in an attempt to prevent commercial use are breaking the original license agreements and if they think they can close source their project but release a binary they are also sadly mistaken, the original license prevents this, if you distribute a work based on this source then the source must be made publicly available per the terms of the license, apple legal went to great lengths to explain this to me.

Another issue is when the author decides he no longer wishes to support a project, rather than open source it so it can continue to be worked on by those in need, the author denies you this leaving you stuck without a solution.

I have a small handful of people I pretty much give any of my own projects to and I release the ones I believe are beneficial, can I impose restrictions in licensing for usage, yes, do I bother, no, the gain is not worth the aggravation and that is my outlook on it.

The source for 3.0.0 is not currently available, the patches wont apply but I will remove the custom library functions and apps I added over the next couple of weeks and provide the project source that builds the posted 3.0.0 binaries.

If you're only using the binary why do you need the source?

There seems to be a big push at this time to not release any source because people are under the impression that someone or some company is getting rich off of their work.

They see someone else getting money (not much mind you) and they want to be paid, they whine with that raped virgin look, they don't consider any expenses being incurred by the use of this software or the legal fees that are being spent due to it's use, they only see that they are not getting paid and someone else is so in retaliation they stop releasing software that the community can benefit from.

I personally don't care one way or another myself, I do know that no matter what you do, you cannot alter an existing license that source is released under so the yahoo's who think that they can take apple source and modify the license in an attempt to prevent commercial use are breaking the original license agreements and if they think they can close source their project but release a binary they are also sadly mistaken, the original license prevents this, if you distribute a work based on this source then the source must be made publicly available per the terms of the license, apple legal went to great lengths to explain this to me.

Another issue is when the author decides he no longer wishes to support a project, rather than open source it so it can continue to be worked on by those in need, the author denies you this leaving you stuck without a solution.

I have a small handful of people I pretty much give any of my own projects to and I release the ones I believe are beneficial, can I impose restrictions in licensing for usage, yes, do I bother, no, the gain is not worth the aggravation and that is my outlook on it.

As PCITools are GPL software you are obligated to publish the source code.