Has anyone gotten an ECS G31T-M mobo to work?

81 posts in this topic

to reset your bios, format a floppy disk, put the bios file on it and rename it to AMIBOOT.ROM. Nothing else, the disk doesn't have to be bootable. Insert the disk in the floppy drive, power on the machine and instantly hit ctrl+home. if there's a black screen again, don't worry as long as your fdd moves. you should then get a display reporting on the bios flash.

good luck!

if it doesn't work, choose another disk and try again!

hangman: thanks for the hint with the keyboard, i was close to rma the board, will try these days and report on it...

Greetings all -

So, I picked up this board today. I tried to G31T-M BIOS posted by David Tsu, but I still had to use cpus=1 with my KalyWay 10.5.1 DVD. I gave the G31T-A bios a shot, and got stuck with the horrible black screen. I reset to defaults at least a two dozen times, and could never get the system up and running. The whole CTRL-HOME with a floppy didn't work, the keyboard trick however did.

I unplugged the keyboard, unplugged my hard drive and dvd-rom -- stuck a bootable USB stick in the machine with my flash on it, reset the BIOS via the jumper, powered it up and booted right to the USB stick allowing me to re-flash back to the most recent G31T-M bios from ECS. The question however remains... what modded bios do I really want?

Regards,

Hannibal

I just wanted to post a follow up for everyone; I've got this board working now.

Before the great explosion in this thread, I posted a request for the BIOS for this motherboard. OriginalMACNUT was able to modify the most recent BIOS. It works great! Just another tip; you need to make sure both HPET & Execute-Bit (XD) are set to enabled. The execute-bit by default is set to DISABLED.

Regards,

Hannibal

@hannibalx glad you've made it! can you please tell me where to obtain the latest modified bios you mentioned?

hangman saved my sorry *ss just another time. the keyboard trick worked and i'm back in the game. Thanks h4n9m4n!!!

mykalanui -

In my previous post if you hover over the word "thread", it's the link to the thread I was speaking of.

Here it is again: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129718

update: i've had it working great on my G31T-M for a few weeks now. Sorry for not updating earlier. I used one of the modified bios's for the G31T-M on that thread, but not the same one you used; there are actually ones made for the M version there. Everything works great without adding any extra drivers using iAtkos 10.5.4. I did have to add a wireless driver though, but it wasn't necessary for the onboard LAN. Running GREAT w/ Q6600, 2GB ram, Radeon HD3870, stock kernel. Couldn't be happier :thumbsup_anim:

How did you do it? After flashing my bios with the G31T-A mentioned on the other thread, my computer will not boot past the CMOS settings WRONG screen, and wants me to go into setup, when I do, I put all the setting the way mentoined above, and nothing works. I go to save and restart, and I get nothing on the screen. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...
Greetings all -

So, I picked up this board today. I tried to G31T-M BIOS posted by David Tsu, but I still had to use cpus=1 with my KalyWay 10.5.1 DVD. I gave the G31T-A bios a shot, and got stuck with the horrible black screen. I reset to defaults at least a two dozen times, and could never get the system up and running. The whole CTRL-HOME with a floppy didn't work, the keyboard trick however did.

I unplugged the keyboard, unplugged my hard drive and dvd-rom -- stuck a bootable USB stick in the machine with my flash on it, reset the BIOS via the jumper, powered it up and booted right to the USB stick allowing me to re-flash back to the most recent G31T-M bios from ECS. The question however remains... what modded bios do I really want?

Regards,

Hannibal

can you please tell me how you got it to reflash from a USB stick. ive been trying for hours now and i cant get it to boot the AMIBOOT.ROM off of a usb stick. the light on my USB stick keeps flashing, and the PC speaker keeps beeping once every few mins, but nothing else happens. i cant figure out how you mode your USB drive able to boot the bios flash utility. please post instructions as this is really making me mad.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a direct link to the modified BIOS itself. It was modified by OriginalMACNUT based on the fixes that Kabyl found.

http://rapidshare.com/files/151444960/ECS_...B_v1.0.rar.html

Regards,

Hannibal

I've flashed my g31t-m bios using this rom as well as the roms provided by david tsu elsewhere in the forums. I only see one core in System Profiler regardless of which bios I use and I've enabled the XD bit to no effect.

I've got a core 2 duo 6300- is this a cpu compatibility issue? Any ideas? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone =)

Mb I am so stupid, but where can I find a step-by-step guide for modifying the BIOS on the subj motherboard? I've downloaded a patched BIOS (a .ROM file), so whats next? Now I am using iDeneb 10.5.5 with cpus=1, thats the only Hackintosh I can launch... but I want an original!!!

Regards, Dave

• 2 weeks later...

ju must use the flash tool from ECS Elitegroup ( Homepage)..........

Flash your Bios, but BEVOR make a Backup ...

Youz can make this also with the flash tool...

I´ve flash the rom, but my Version of Ipc 10.5.5.6 dosent work correctly :-(

I trie now, other versions like kalayway, or ideneb, with a lower version as 10.5.5.6

My experience to get all things working:

1) a modified bios is indeed needed. Find the download from link http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.5#ECS . Flash tools (afudos) can be found at ecs.com.tw website. This patched bios is for g31-tm. so no problems for me.

2) most likely, you will need another graphic card to have a fully working graphics. I had a geforce 8400gs.

3) in bios, MUST enable Extra bit (default is disabled) to allow two cores. Otherwise, use cpus=1 to boot or install. IDE can be enabled.

4) I installed with Leo4ALL v3. Then updated to 10.5.6 with netkas method (find it somewhere).

Vanilla kernel, full QE/CI!

1) a modified bios is indeed needed. Find the download from link http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.5#ECS . Flash tools (afudos) can be found at ecs.com.tw website. This patched bios is for g31-tm. so no problems for me.

2) most likely, you will need another graphic card to have a fully working graphics. I had a geforce 8400gs.

3) in bios, MUST enable Extra bit (default is disabled) to allow two cores. Otherwise, use cpus=1 to boot or install. IDE can be enabled.

4) I installed with Leo4ALL v3. Then updated to 10.5.6 with netkas method (find it somewhere).

Also, just to note. A kext for ALC662 in legacy Boot-132 kext format has been released in the tutorial section. Boot-132 is now completely possible. I recommend using EFI Boot Partition by munky.

You need all of these as well as Voodoo Kernel (goes with that seatbelt kext)

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

LegacyJMicronATA.kext

seatbelt.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

System.kext

All these kexts make up the EFI partition that you can make very easily.

IS the bios safe for ECS G31T-M7 Rev.1 ?

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to know if IDE works, seeing as I'd like to use IDE HDD/DVD Drive.

Also, can anyone verify that integrated graphics works? What about shutdown/sleep/restart? Can someone elaborate on their update process to 10.5.6 as well, that would be greatly appreciated, thank you

• 1 month later...
I would like to know if IDE works, seeing as I'd like to use IDE HDD/DVD Drive.

Also, can anyone verify that integrated graphics works? What about shutdown/sleep/restart? Can someone elaborate on their update process to 10.5.6 as well, that would be greatly appreciated, thank you

I haven't tested the integrated graphics, but on iAtkosv5i at least, sleep seems to have some problems. I also get the problem previously mentioned where upon sleep, it will immediately wake back up. As far as update, i just used the system updates and everything is working fine. You just have to make sure that you make your install upgradable.

I ended up just using this as a guide, and it was very easy. Especially if you're using integrated graphics, just check to see if they have it under VGA.

If you're going to use an nvidia9xxx card though it's best to do this. I followed his two extra steps and it booted up great. Good luck. =)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got it all working now, finally!

Here's how I did it:

I used the following Install DVD: XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2

and these options:

- All essentials

- Chameleon

- PC EFI 9

- Vanilla Kernel

- SMBIOS 800 (to hardcode System Profiler to 800MHz RAM)

- ICHx

- EFI GFX Strings (for my 7600GT, with working CI/QE)

- EHCISleep & USBSleep (to get Sleep working)

- IONetworkFamily.kext by ToH (to get TimeMachine working)

For the Alc662 I tried to get the AppleHDA.kext working with my dump file but that didn't work.

But I found the solution I was always looking for: VoodooHDA!

You can download it from this thread here

Just follow the instructions. Maybe you also have to delete AppleHDA.kext.

It enables Mic-In (not so sure about Line-in), it appears correctly in SystemPreferences and VolumeControl/Mute works!

Now, this is the best setup I ever had with this mobo, by far. I encourage everybody to try it, and to post any tweaks or solutions that make this board run leopard even better!

Mykalanui

I've got it all working now, finally!

Here's how I did it:

I used the following Install DVD: XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disc_Universal_Final.v2

and these options:

- All essentials

- Chameleon

- PC EFI 9

- Vanilla Kernel

- SMBIOS 800 (to hardcode System Profiler to 800MHz RAM)

- ICHx

- EFI GFX Strings (for my 7600GT, with working CI/QE)

- EHCISleep & USBSleep (to get Sleep working)

- IONetworkFamily.kext by ToH (to get TimeMachine working)

For the Alc662 I tried to get the AppleHDA.kext working with my dump file but that didn't work.

But I found the solution I was always looking for: VoodooHDA!

You can download it from this thread here

Just follow the instructions. Maybe you also have to delete AppleHDA.kext.

It enables Mic-In (not so sure about Line-in), it appears correctly in SystemPreferences and VolumeControl/Mute works!

Now, this is the best setup I ever had with this mobo, by far. I encourage everybody to try it, and to post any tweaks or solutions that make this board run leopard even better!

Mykalanui

Thanks for the assist!

Does anyone have the EFI string working with QE for the nVidia 9500 GT? I can get the card working but 3D (QE) is not enabled.

IS the bios safe for ECS G31T-M7 Rev.1 ?

I've gotten this board to work using iAtkos5 (10.5.5), with modified 7/31/08 BIOS as well as OEM latest BIOS from ECS.

The setup:

G31T-M v1.0

Core2Duo E4500

2GB RAM DDR2 800

250GB SATA HD

Sony 16xDVD/R/RW (IDE interface)

ATI Radeon 256MB X1950XT

I did a customized install using the vanilla kernel with these options (most are default, save for one or two):

-Base OS Install

-PCEFI 9

-dsmos

-SMBIOS- EFI

-Remove thermal kexts (may be optional)

-Disabler.Kext

-RTL 8139 (Realtek) Network Driver

Include nothing else (Leave the rest unchecked, and DO NOT SELECT a KERNEL).

The initial problem that I ran into is upon reboot. There would be a restart loop right after Darwin counts down.

If you use the cpus=1 flag buring startup the system will boot.

The fix for this in both flavors of the BIOS are:

-Make sure the Execute Disable Bit option is Enabled

-Make sure the Intel Speedstep Option is as well

If you make those changes in the BIOS it should boot right to desktop.

Everything works out the gate, sound and all.

I had a more difficult time getting the vid card to work; Thanks to empty skull's modified ATI kext files for the X1900 series it works just fine.

I've had no concerns with sleep for the time the I tested it. I normally just wind down the hard drive and dim/sleep the display only; it has not failed me yet.

If someone needs additional pointers (like my exact BIOS settings) just respond to the thread.

Thanks for the assist!

Does anyone have the EFI string working with QE for the nVidia 9500 GT? I can get the card working but 3D (QE) is not enabled.

Following the Install above after flashing the Bios with 090107S.ROM My system will kernel panic when booting from HD. However if I boot from the install CD the system works great. I had to replace the sound kext with the VoodooHDA, but everything works; video (QE), network, sound, etc.

I'm not sure what happen to the PC EFI V9 boot from the HD. Anyone have any advise on how to fix this last glitch?

Following the Install above after flashing the Bios with 090107S.ROM My system will kernel panic when booting from HD. However if I boot from the install CD the system works great. I had to replace the sound kext with the VoodooHDA, but everything works; video (QE), network, sound, etc.

I'm not sure what happen to the PC EFI V9 boot from the HD. Anyone have any advise on how to fix this last glitch?

Which install did you follow?

I've duplicated the one I posted yesterday with another G31T-M7 Rev1.0 board using iAtkosv5.

Using a Celeron E1200 CPUand an ATI X1600XT were the only hardware differences in what I posted above. Both installs were done with the same options checked upon install (video card drivers fixed only after I'd successfully booted; that was the only thing I added post install and QE works as well). Everything worked as the first time ont the gate (Time Machine, sound, network...)

Did you try the 080731S.ROM BIOS and change the two BIOS options I listed above (assuming you followed my example?) without adding anything else to the equation?

You can fix the requiring the DVD upon boot by dropping into Single user mode and monkeying around, but every time I've done that, it doesn't quite work well. I've found myself clean installing again (I've not had to do that with any I've built on this board following the process I used).