10.5.3 update guide (plain English)

kitkat54

5 posts in this topic

This guide is for updating from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 on a vanilla kernel install. It assumes that you have a working 10.5.2 installation that uses PC-EFI (if not vanilla kernel). My guide is for NVidia users. People with ATI and GMA may have varied results, but I have nVidia and can't test anything else. Thanks to netkas, and various others from whom I am aggregating all of this information... I did not figure this all out on my own.

Before you begin:

1) back up your extensions

# cp -Rp /System/Library/Extensions ~/Extensions.10.5.2

2) download Pacifist.app (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12743)

3) download NVinstallerV.41.pkg (http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20)

4) download the OSX 10.5.3 Combo update from Apple's official site

Installation:

1) setup a watchdog that will remove AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext -- if you do not do this, your system WILL panic during the install. Open a terminal, become root (sudo bash), and type the command below:

# while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

The command will not return a prompt. This is expected. Put this terminal window aside and continue to step 2.

2) open MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.3.dmg and start the update as normal. When it finishes, it will prompt you to restart. DO NOT RESTART YET. You need to do some things before you restart. If you restart before finishing the steps, your computer will not boot.

3) Now you need to edit the file /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1. Use your favorite text editor to open the file, and find the string "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext". Replace "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" with "dsmos.kext" (no quotes), and save the file.

4) Go back to the terminal from step 1. Type Control-C (one key stroke), which will give you your root prompt back. We need to now restore some kexts, since the default Apple ones do not work happily. In my case I have to replace 4 of them with my backups from 10.5.2. The more custom your machine is, the more you'll have to replace. For me it was:

AppleAHCIPort.kext -- the 10.5.3 AHCI drivers did not detect my root drive

IOAHCIFamily.kext -- same as above

AppleSMBIOS.kext -- makes "System Profiler/About this Mac" work

AppleHDA.kext -- this kext is patched for my sound device

So, to replace them, do the following:

# cd /System/Library/Extensions

# for i in AppleAHCIPort.kext IOAHCIFamily.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext AppleHDA.kext ; do mv $i $i.10.5.3 ; cp -Rp ~/Extensions.10.5.2/$i $i ; done

# diskutil repairPermissions /

# rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

# kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Note the second command above is all one line, and that the list is based on my extensions that I needed to restore.

5) now go back to the installer, and click the reboot button. On this bootup, you should pass -v to the boot loader for verbose info. As we are running the vanilla kernel now, it is possible that like me, reboots won't work. The installer will cause your machine to reboot once before coming all the way to a login window. With -v, you can see the MACH REBOOT message on the console. Without it, the machine will sit with the apple logo and spinning circle forever. If you miss the -v, just wait about 10 mins, and it'll be ready for you to hit the reset button. With -v, you can reset after you see MACH REBOOT.

6) The second reboot will allow you to login. However, if you have nVidia, you will probably not have CI/QE at this point. We will fix that by installing NVinstallerV.41.pkg which has the 10.5.2 NVidia, GeForce, and GL kexts/frameworks. To do this, we will start Pacifist up, and open up NVinstallerV.41.pkg with it. We use Pacifist, since by default, the system package installer will NOT overwrite the newer 10.5.3 kexts that you are trying to replace. After loading the package in Pacifist, click the padlock in the top right, and enter your password to become authorized. next click on "Contents of NVInstallerV.41.pkg" to highlight it. Finally click the "Install" button in the top left corner. This will start the install. Eventually you'll get a popup asking you to replace existing files. Check the "do not ask again" checkbox, and then click the "Replace" button.

7) open a Terminal, become root (sudo bash), and type the commands below:

# diskutil repairPermissions /

# rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

# kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

8) reboot your computer. It should come back with 10.5.3 running, and full CI/QE.

Enjoy!

I downloaded the kalyway combo update 10.5.3 and installed following the readme file there.worked like a charm.I didnt follow the guide here.will i get any problems ???AFAIK i have no problems yet :help: