Upgrade Incentives

Blu3ness

11 posts in this topic

It always baffles me to see people downloading upgrades right after they come out and only to find it a big disappointment in terms of compatibility and bugs. After experiencing Linux and their model of release often & release early, I have grown accustomed to prefer stability over cutting-edge. I think the same concept applies to OSX releases as well. I am more of a "if ain't broken don't fix it" guy, so I'd rather be in the back row when a new release comes out.

What are your thoughts? Why do you upgrade and do you find it disappointing if it sucked?

I too am extremely nervous about the 10.5.3 update, i have downloaded the kaly combo update but dont have the guts yet to install it. Cause right now im productive and everythings working! OS updates are generally a great thing, as in they update most every program and the base system, but OSX86 is unlike any other OS ever, in that it really appears apple works hard to break our systems every time, total opposite from linux distros which work really hard to make everything work.

I think Apple is working hard at keeping their product line working as advertised. That's not easy considering all the different computers, and devices out there that can run 10.5.3. I bet hack's are the least of their worries right now.

Security. Unfortunately there aren't any security updates that are tested out with 0sx86 only full updates that usually break something.

I have given up on 10.5.3 for now. Far too many problems. Trying to install security update 2008-003 is an extreme pain just by itself. There is a safari bug and a font/preview bug that it fixes yet you will have to reformat many times just to install only a part of the update.

I guess my question really comes down to whether the upgraders are solely upgrading to get the newest version number to stay "on the edge". I personally have no incentive what so ever to upgrade at this point:

*usable base system, no crashes, check

*QE graphics enabled, correct resolution, check

*able to run Office, python, latex, and vim, check

* able to play world of warcraft, check

I'm a happy man. :)

I upgraded because I want fixes to various things. There are no speed improvements but there are important fixes to Time Machine, Spaces and a bunch of other stuff. Upgrading to the latest gives a warm fuzzy feeling. What more does one need :)

Of course things got broken: Video broke, Power management broke, bluetooth broke.

I got everything as before working except bluetooth. (Even Quartz/Core Image is supported) and on 9.3 kernel.

Quite happy. If I can just get bluetooth working, it works If i boot each time with "-f" but not otherwise. I'm sure someone here can help me fix it.

I'm definetly in the "wait for a while till the issues are known, and fixed" camp.

I use my machine so much, I need it to work and be stable. I also have downloaded both the Kalyway and JaS combo updates - but am waiting to see what pans out over the next couple of weeks.

I am really into the updates and i will tell you why;

The OSX86 is an experimental thing so there will be always problems with some drivers.

I like to explore these problems and try to solve them and thus help other people.

I am new here but i have a good 10.5.3 running with a vanilla kernel.

when i went from 10.5.2. to 10.5.3 i had some trouble with my graphic card but that is over now (tnks to the help around this forum) and everything is working for me.

Because OSX86 is not my main computer i can afford to screw around with it and piece by piece i learn more about OSX86.

just my 2 cents

I also initially did not have the guts to update but after updating I had a minor issue with the QE/CI not being enabled on my graphics card and that was resolved as soon as I followed the solution given on the forums.If you are using it as a Primary OS then I will not recommend the upgrade although I use more of Mac OS X than my Windows XP and I still get the goosebumps when I try updating :huh: .

thanks for all the feedbacks. but i guess my question is, WHY are you upgrading? I'm not worried at all about security issues at this point, and the features of 10.5.3 just don't appeal to me. Your thoughts?