iPods with no Firewire Sync?

SunJay

4 posts in this topic

hello, i'm extremely retro and using a eMac that doesnt have USB 2.0. I brought an iPod touch the other day and well, waited almost half a day for my library to sync 10gb of files.

Now i'm wondering, is it possible to sync using firewire for the touch? would one of these work? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FOR-APPLE-IPOD-USB-...1QQcmdZViewItem

(bloody usb1.0...)

hello, i'm extremely retro and using a eMac that doesnt have USB 2.0. I brought an iPod touch the other day and well, waited almost half a day for my library to sync 10gb of files.

Now i'm wondering, is it possible to sync using firewire for the touch? would one of these work? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FOR-APPLE-IPOD-USB-...1QQcmdZViewItem

(bloody usb1.0...)

Seeing as that says "charging cable" - errr - ok.

New iPods starting from the 2nd Gen iPod nano onwards do not sync with Firewire and cannot sync any other way apart from usb. Maybe try a external usb 2.0 hub connected to a 1.1 - maybe it'll work. Ring the apple store if you can't.

• 2 months later...
Seeing as that says "charging cable" - errr - ok.

New iPods starting from the 2nd Gen iPod nano onwards do not sync with Firewire and cannot sync any other way apart from usb. Maybe try a external usb 2.0 hub connected to a 1.1 - maybe it'll work. Ring the apple store if you can't.

yah cuz a usb 2.0 hub will magically make usb 1.1 run at 480mbs from 12mbs. sorry but i just had to poke fun. :(

The answer is a firm "no". With a USB 1.1 eMac you are SOL. I had a similar situation with an MDD PowerMac and iPod 5.5G. I got a PCI USB 2.0 expansion card to solve the problem. Problem is, you don't have the luxury of expandability with an eMac.

Shame you can't sync the iPod Touch over wi-fi. 54Mbps would be slightly better than USB 1.1 12Mbps....