10.5.3 Update and Sony VAIO

Synthology

32 posts in this topic

Hello, i have an VAIO VGN - nr230ae, installed using the ideneb 1, 4. apparently installed fine, but the resolution only works in 1024 x 768 and nothing works (audio, Internet, WiFi, keyboard). The best for me? kalyway? ideneb? iatkos?

Help!!

I did the same... iDeneb first and nothing worked. Then I tried Kalyway 10.5.2 (NOT a later version). So much better - go sound, dvd RW all that. Still got the blue scren {censored} at the beginning (read this topic to sort that out).

Good luck... I'm still fiddling around. They say you can get the Leopard 10.5.3 update from the Mac site and install that safely, works for some (one guy on this thread did it no probs). I tried but it crashed halfway thru and I had to reinstall the whole OS. Might work fine for you. Mine's a VGN-NR280E

That's great to hear. You should have been there when "I" first discovered this fix. No one could help me, and nobody seemed to care, because they all had more compatible laptops. But after a few weeks of no sleep and for lack of a better term, trial and error, I managed to get everything working on the VAIO. I literally did 2 cartwheels and I popped and locked.

Again, really glad to hear your success, I am always glad to help out a fellow hackmac'er.

Cheers

Prof. Synthology

OK so what happened was the install with Kalyway 10.5.2 went much better than with iDeneb, I got sound and DVD RW drive working fine, but two big problems:

1. When I ran the update, it crashed halfway thru and screwed the whole OS and I had to reinstall. When I tried again, it said:

Installer is damaged.

Installer is unable to open the package. This is likely due to Install framework's runner executable not having the proper ownership and/or permissions.

I tried redownloading it but the same thing happened. I'm not too worried about only having 10.5.2 anyway, it's fine, if I can get eveything working.

2. The natit.kext installs (drag and drop) no problems, but the frame buffer fix .kext keeps saying it's not installed properly, so I can't get the proper 1280x800 res video. I do of course enter everything you said into terminal after installing .kexts and before rebooting:

sudo -s

(your password)

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

exit

Still stuck on default res with VESA. Have installed SwitchResX and entered custom res 1280x800 but says 'not installed' of course. FB prob is blocking I think.

And now I've just reinstalled Win 7 onto spare partition which has wiped the Darwin boot loader! Remind me again how to get Leo and Win 7 both on boot?? So I guess that's prob no 3! Any help much appreciated dude... :)

• 1 month later...
That's great to hear. You should have been there when "I" first discovered this fix. No one could help me, and nobody seemed to care, because they all had more compatible laptops. But after a few weeks of no sleep and for lack of a better term, trial and error, I managed to get everything working on the VAIO. I literally did 2 cartwheels and I popped and locked.

Again, really glad to hear your success, I am always glad to help out a fellow hackmac'er.

Cheers

Prof. Synthology

Hey thought you would be interested! I finally got the dual-boot right (using Chameleon) but a greater moment was when I FINALLY got the 1280x800 15.4" screen res fix working on my VGN-NR280E! I tried sooo many times and no good, you know what the problem was? I was using the wrong kernel. I should have known - you said to use Vanilla kernal only, I guess I didn't really understand and also was thrown off by one or two others having success with eg speedstep. As soon as I customised the Kalyway install and chose vanilla and vanilla ONLY, the fix work like a charm first time. Woohoo!! Computing never looked so good. I bet the neighbours were wondering what all the whooping was about!! Still have three minor problems, nothing I can't live with, but maybe you know the answers?

1. Ethernet port not supported (Marvell Yukon) but have purchased external USB ethernet adaptor from eBay v cheap so no big deal but would be great to get my onboard port working. Are the drivers/kexts available and working with OSX86?

2. Chameleon sets OS X as default (only gives you 5 seconds to press a key to choose Win boot). Any way of editing this like you can edit grub so I can set Win 7 as default??

3. 10.5.3 update fails to install every time (crashes)... I'm happy with 10.5.2 but any ideas? Would it be safe to skip this update and go straight to a higher one?

Anyway, thank you so much Synthology and all of you on this thread, you have helped me out massively!! To anyone with a VAIO NR-series laptop still struggling- if you stick at it you'll get there in the end! I had to try 3 of the 4 distros and spent many an hour behind a screen before I got it right. Now I got a kickass laptop with the best of both worlds! WOOHOO!! :)

Dunno if anyone is still reading this topic, but...

UPDATE: Screwed my Kalyway install by trying Hazard's Snow Leo (NO WAY on my hardware); then retried iAtkos v7 (10.5.7) again heavily customised-- Voila! Working great! Even got the screen res thing working (SwitchResX custom Res, installed the newest version of fixed framebuffer i could find, entered code to install and repair permissions into terminal, reboot.... woo-hoo!! QE/CI enabled everything! Didn't need to get rid of anything beforehand or instal Natit, iatkos had already done all that).

One problem still remains: My Marvell Yukon ethernet adaptor not working (still). Installed several times both the ones on the iAtkos disk, no good. But looking closelythey are for a slightly diferent model- reckon this is the reason?? My exact model is: Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller. If anyone out there can help me get this working (attaching the driver/kexts whatever) I'd be most appreciative! THANKS :wacko:

• 1 month later...
One problem still remains: My Marvell Yukon ethernet adaptor not working (still). Installed several times both the ones on the iAtkos disk, no good. But looking closelythey are for a slightly diferent model- reckon this is the reason?? My exact model is: Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller. If anyone out there can help me get this working (attaching the driver/kexts whatever) I'd be most appreciative! THANKS :D

hi, just wondering if you still had the problem with this Marvell Yukon ethernet port, mine work with this trick :

- Marvel Yukon gigabit ethernet is working, just replace value inside /System/Library/Extension/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon/Contents/Info.plist from 0x436211AB to 0x435311AB

I wrote it down too in my blog, http://allabouthobby.blogspot.com/2008/05/...vgn-nr220e.html

let me now if you able to make it work,

hi, just wondering if you still had the problem with this Marvell Yukon ethernet port, mine work with this trick :

- Marvel Yukon gigabit ethernet is working, just replace value inside /System/Library/Extension/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon/Contents/Info.plist from 0x436211AB to 0x435311AB

I wrote it down too in my blog, http://allabouthobby.blogspot.com/2008/05/...vgn-nr220e.html

let me now if you able to make it work,

Hey man, thanks for the reply, but I got my ethernet working now - except occasionally (sometimes after an hour, sometimes after 6 hours or more, or not at all) it will stop - even though my network status is still on green and connected. I have to reboot to get the Web back. Does this happen to you?

I have a couple of other problems, maybe you know the answers?

- My Firewire doesn't work, this is confirmed by Final Cut Pro, although when I boot in -v mode it does mention firewire 400 as being there but that it cannot detect security status and so is defaulting to full-secure (?). When I had a successful install of Kalyway 10.5.2, the Firewire was detected in System Profiler. Maybe you can post the working kexts? Ihave iATKOS 10.5.7 now (working great actually, screen res fix and everything. But the first time I tried it, AWFUL. But you just need to massively custom-install it. I can tell you what to check/uncheck if you're finding 10.5.2 a bit old now)

- ExpressCard slot - not sure if it works or not - Sys Profiler is ambiguous. But many say that it will if you stick a card in, but you need to do that before boot, and no hot-swapping. I want to put a better soundcard in there. Have you tried your slot?

-wifi not working - but don't use it anyway and can boot into Windows if I need. But if you've cracked that one it would be useful!

- HDA audio out is fine; mic/line in isn't. So no Skype or Logic etc. Same with you? Or do youknow a fix to get our Realtek card working properly? ..Andof course the two mem card slots at the front don't work and I've tried the fixes but I never expected them to work cos Mac don't have mem card readers. Yours still dead?

Thanks for any help man

-Ptolomy :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
**Update - X3100 Fixed for VAIO NR160E/S** Details on post # 3 below

Greetings all,

This happened once before after updating to 10.5.2 and applying the Graphics Update 1.0

The dreaded Blue Screen on startup. The Sony VAIO laptop NR160ES starts up fine, but once loaded, I get a garbled blue screen that seems to be out of resolution.

When this happened before, no one was able to help, and Natit for X3100 did nothing. I reinstalled 10.5.2 without Graphics update, added SwitchResX and we were up and running.

I recently backed up my GMAX3100 extensions and updated to 10.5.3 (Netkas Method)

Now, I get the same thing happening (Note: I uninstalled switchresx and deleted Natit and GMA950 kexts and integratedframebuffer)

I only get a blue screen, garbled and cannot get even sound out of it.

Please advise on this, as no one was able to help last time this happened back in 10.5.2.

Thanks in advanced.

Synthology

Special Notes: I am currently in VESA mode, had to delete all GMAX3100 kexts in Single User Mode to get vesa working.

Otherwise, 10.5.3 shows up in System profiler and new kernel 9.3.0

When I restored my previous GMAX3100 kexts files, I can get full resolution but no context menu items and I cannot click anything on the finder tool bar on top.

10.5.3 updated (ToH 10.5)

Sony Vaio NR160ES

965 chipset - Core2Duo

4GB RAM

GMAX3100

EFI V8

GUID

Stock Kernel 9.3.0

Could use some help here. I would really appreciate it. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR498e. I have installed Kalyway 10.5.2 with Gmax3100 Graphics Kexts installed. I cant get past the blurry screen at startup. i have tried -x and -v but nothing works. I got this working last week but then had to re-install, but can't remember what i had to do. i remember that after I got it to boot up but never with the correct resolution. Now I can't even get that far. It seems like I typed "Graphics Enabler"=Yes or something like that and it worked, but not now unless I am not typing it right this time around any help would be appreciated.

Could use some help here. I would really appreciate it. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR498e. I have installed Kalyway 10.5.2 with Gmax3100 Graphics Kexts installed. I cant get past the blurry screen at startup. i have tried -x and -v but nothing works. I got this working last week but then had to re-install, but can't remember what i had to do. i remember that after I got it to boot up but never with the correct resolution. Now I can't even get that far. It seems like I typed "Graphics Enabler"=Yes or something like that and it worked, but not now unless I am not typing it right this time around any help would be appreciated.

Ok I got the video working using the info in this set of posts. Now I just need to figure out-What kexts i need to get Quartz working for video and get full resolution. Also how the heck to install a Kext, Any suggestions?