10.5.3 Update and Sony VAIO

Synthology

32 posts in this topic

**Update - X3100 Fixed for VAIO NR160E/S** Details on post # 3 below

Greetings all,

This happened once before after updating to 10.5.2 and applying the Graphics Update 1.0

The dreaded Blue Screen on startup. The Sony VAIO laptop NR160ES starts up fine, but once loaded, I get a garbled blue screen that seems to be out of resolution.

When this happened before, no one was able to help, and Natit for X3100 did nothing. I reinstalled 10.5.2 without Graphics update, added SwitchResX and we were up and running.

I recently backed up my GMAX3100 extensions and updated to 10.5.3 (Netkas Method)

Now, I get the same thing happening (Note: I uninstalled switchresx and deleted Natit and GMA950 kexts and integratedframebuffer)

I only get a blue screen, garbled and cannot get even sound out of it.

Please advise on this, as no one was able to help last time this happened back in 10.5.2.

Thanks in advanced.

Synthology

Special Notes: I am currently in VESA mode, had to delete all GMAX3100 kexts in Single User Mode to get vesa working.

Otherwise, 10.5.3 shows up in System profiler and new kernel 9.3.0

When I restored my previous GMAX3100 kexts files, I can get full resolution but no context menu items and I cannot click anything on the finder tool bar on top.

10.5.3 updated (ToH 10.5)

Sony Vaio NR160ES

965 chipset - Core2Duo

4GB RAM

GMAX3100

EFI V8

GUID

Stock Kernel 9.3.0

I tried installing the GMAX3100 Package from Leo4All V3. No success. I really need to find a fix for this laptop, as it was working well in 10.5.2 and no graphics update. Again, if anyone else out there has this problem, please let it be known here, and perhaps someone with a VAIO and X3100 will be able to help.

Thanks

Prof. Synthology

***UPDATE - This method also works for 10.5.4 and 10.5.5***

Greetings All,

For my reference and hopefully other VAIO laptop users, I have provided a simple fix for X3100 on a Sony VAIO VGN-NR160E/S laptop.

I hope this works for other VAIO owners, as this worked great for me. Too bad we still need Natit, but its beats VESA hands down.

Enlosed in my package are simcolor's X3100 frame buffer and Paulicat's Natit. I have provided the instructions to install and repair permissions, so the installation can go as smooth as possible.

Keep in mind, my fix is for those who plunged into 10.5.3 and Vanilla flavored kernels with GUID tables.

Remember to install the latest SwitchResX (control panel is fine)

and add your screen resolution to it (mine is 1280x800)

I now have a fully functional 10.5.3 install and X3100 on my VAIO

Cheers.

Prof. Synthology

Special Thanks to Simcolor and Paulicat for their files, time and knowledge. Cheers to you mates.

NR160ES_X3100.zip

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

thanks man, I can confirm your solution work as well on Sony Vaio VGN-NR220E.

here is my steps.

My Installation is using Kalyway 10.5.2, with speedstepkernel, and select the Video Graphic Intel GMA3100.

during first boot, pressed F8 and boot with option -s, once in terminal mode, remove the original AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and boot the Macs till finish all initial setup.

then, download SwitchResX program, and add 1280-800 resolution, and then reboot again.

after the system up again, (its still on 1024-768 resolution), install the Kext that you supplied above, after make sure I have all other AppleIntelGMAX3100* files (AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin, AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle) , I reboot the machine, and dangg.... I GOT GMAX3100 work with QE/CI enabled.

dude thanks alot ... I spent 3 months just to make this screen resolution work, finally its paid off.

I'm glad to see that this worked for somebody else besides me. I too spent several days researching. Trial and error is an understatement. However, I got it all to work. Its not the fastest graphic solution around, but its better than VESA.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Prof. Synthology

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

I tried this on my VGN-NR220E, however when i F8/-s and try to remove AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext using the rm command, it complains and tells me its a directory. I have cd into it to rm the files in it but then get a read-only filesystem error message.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jose

• 2 weeks later...

ok, when i connect another monitor i can only pas the mouse cursor, but i cannot get it to work in mirror display is there any hot keys or something?

or someway that i can see some video with another monitor, i know my key are working and my audio is working, i can even use the hot keys to use voice over and turn up and down the volume, but i cant see anything,

kalyway 10.5.2 with the same installation as utem, except i could not do the "remove the original AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and boot the Macs till finish all initial setup."

because it said no such file in directory

the command is rm AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext right?

please help,

thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings all,

Great to hear that everything is working out for you guys. This setup has worked for me for quite sometime. I am currently working on getting EFI strings working so that we can finally rid ourselves of Natit and the half witted Framebuffer. There's nothing like running an all vanilla setup. My desktops are running on almost 100% vanilla flavors. I hope to achieve the same for our laptops. I'll report back on this thread with EFI string progress for our X3100, and more specifically, VAIOs. Depending on success, I'll start a new thread and continue research there.

Thanks for replying everyone.

Keep on hackin'

Cheers

Prof. Synthology

I can confirm that this technique works on a Sony Vaio VGN-NR498E using Leo4All v2, upgraded to 10.5.4 with Kalyway combo update.

Many thanks to all that helped find this solution!

I just purchased a Sony Vaio VGN-NR498E. Is it necessary to use the "technique" which is the N160 zip file? Does it matter to what OSx86 is used? I have IDenbi 10.5.4, Kalyway 10.5.2 and iAtkos v5.

Basically is the installation any different? I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and all it took was just installing it and manually installing the drivers.

Thanks for all the information provided?

for some reason this will just not work. Whenever I have the appleintelgmax3100fb or the appleintelgmax3100 kexts in there it just won't boot past the blue screen. yet when I remove both of those, it will boot into OS X fine. Are there some other drivers I could try for those two kexts?

Greetings,

For those who are having problems, it is important to use all vanilla flavored GMAX3100 kexts files. I have 10.5.5 installed on my VAIO and I have followed this pattern ever since. As always, repair permissions and delete kext cache. I use OSX86Tools for setting extension permissions and clearing kext cache. If the blue screen persists, you might want to completely remove switchresX. As I have encountered problems in the past with installing it before enabling my X3100 files. If there is still failure, no worries, we can figure it all out.

Cheers

Prof. Synthology

Greetings,

For those who are having problems, it is important to use all vanilla flavored GMAX3100 kexts files. I have 10.5.5 installed on my VAIO and I have followed this pattern ever since. As always, repair permissions and delete kext cache. I use OSX86Tools for setting extension permissions and clearing kext cache. If the blue screen persists, you might want to completely remove switchresX. As I have encountered problems in the past with installing it before enabling my X3100 files. If there is still failure, no worries, we can figure it all out.

Cheers

Prof. Synthology

I haven't been able to get this working yet. From 10.5.2 to 10.5.5. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR498E and when I boot in normal mode I'm getting the half vertical screen that goes blue then white/black. With the command -v -f I'm getting the gray apple screen with the spinning cusor. I'm only able to boot in safe mode -v -x and that's not a complete full screen.

I know the problem simply lies in my video however I don't know if I'm installing the right thing or if I'm not installing the right thing.

I am really waiting on someone to explain or tell me what I'm doing wrong. :)

Okay well after being up at 1 in the morning this is what I've accomplished. I started back with iAtkos v5 (10.5.5) so far with Sony Vaio VGN-NR498E. As stated before I was having problems with my video. So I first started editing my install. My main problem was my video so with my install I did install X3100. After the installing booting up in normal mode I came back with the vertical white/black screen. Immediately I reboot my computer and press F8 then -s. Then I entered:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

./movevideodrivers

after that I received an error.

I didn't exit. I started back over from the beginning in the same command windows I entered:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

rm -rf AppleIntelGMA*

Once done I typed "exit" press the enter key and the computer reboots.

thumbsup_anim.gif And then FINALLY....FINALLY I OFFICALLY have sound plus video on my BRAND NEW SONY VAIO VGN-NR498E that I bought from Best Buy for $325 dollars because I'm a (the unknown)

My default screen resolution is still 1024x768. That's the next thing to fix plus getting drivers. Oh and no SwitchRex didn't change my resolution for me

That's good to hear. In most cases SwitchResX is able to fix screen resolutions on Sony VAIOs. I'm pretty sure that there is a way to make that work indefinitely. Make sure your also remove the appleintelintegratedframebuffer.kext as well. That might be affecting screen resolution changes. And also make sure that you add the proper resolution in SwitchReX as well. As always, delete extensions.mkext and set extensions permissions.

Good Luck,

Prof. Synthology

That's good to hear. In most cases SwitchResX is able to fix screen resolutions on Sony VAIOs. I'm pretty sure that there is a way to make that work indefinitely. Make sure your also remove the appleintelintegratedframebuffer.kext as well. That might be affecting screen resolution changes. And also make sure that you add the proper resolution in SwitchReX as well. As always, delete extensions.mkext and set extensions permissions.

Good Luck,

Prof. Synthology

Synthology - let me ask you a few questions:

When installing OSx86, do I need to select a video driver or am I okay not installing? My video is X3100.

Because I didn't a fresh install of iAtkos 10.5.5 and didn't install a video driver. After the install starting up in Normal Mode my screen did the vertical white/black thing. Tried to boot it in Safe Mode it wouldn't let me. I had to F8 and type -s

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -rf AppleIntelGMA*

type "exit" and press "enter" and I received a boot with music ready to setup.

From here when do I need to go to try and get a full screen? Or even from here am I able to add in your zip file? Oh and how exactly do I install Natit.kext? With Kexthelper by dragging it? :D

• 1 month later...
Synthology - let me ask you a few questions:

When installing OSx86, do I need to select a video driver or am I okay not installing? My video is X3100.

Because I didn't a fresh install of iAtkos 10.5.5 and didn't install a video driver. After the install starting up in Normal Mode my screen did the vertical white/black thing. Tried to boot it in Safe Mode it wouldn't let me. I had to F8 and type -s

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -rf AppleIntelGMA*

type "exit" and press "enter" and I received a boot with music ready to setup.

From here when do I need to go to try and get a full screen? Or even from here am I able to add in your zip file? Oh and how exactly do I install Natit.kext? With Kexthelper by dragging it? :(

I've removed the AppleIntelGMA* and it now boots to the Welcome screen. I walk through it to the "Do You Already Own a Mac?" page, click continue and this wizard starts all over again, in an endless loop. So basically, I never get past the "Do You Already Own a Mac?" page. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
thanks man, I can confirm your solution work as well on Sony Vaio VGN-NR220E.

here is my steps.

My Installation is using Kalyway 10.5.2, with speedstepkernel, and select the Video Graphic Intel GMA3100.

during first boot, pressed F8 and boot with option -s, once in terminal mode, remove the original AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and boot the Macs till finish all initial setup.

then, download SwitchResX program, and add 1280-800 resolution, and then reboot again.

after the system up again, (its still on 1024-768 resolution), install the Kext that you supplied above, after make sure I have all other AppleIntelGMAX3100* files (AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin, AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle) , I reboot the machine, and dangg.... I GOT GMAX3100 work with QE/CI enabled.

dude thanks alot ... I spent 3 months just to make this screen resolution work, finally its paid off.

wow i cant believe it i followed the same steps you did and i finally have working QE/CI on my VAIO SZ79GN, after many late nights of trying numerous kexts and fixes, this one did it! right after i did this and rebooted and opened system profiler and saw "Quartz Extreme: Supported" i literally started jumping up and down and dancing.  :)

wow i cant believe it i followed the same steps you did and i finally have working QE/CI on my VAIO SZ79GN, after many late nights of trying numerous kexts and fixes, this one did it! right after i did this and rebooted and opened system profiler and saw "Quartz Extreme: Supported" i literally started jumping up and down and dancing.  :rolleyes:

That's great to hear. You should have been there when "I" first discovered this fix. No one could help me, and nobody seemed to care, because they all had more compatible laptops. But after a few weeks of no sleep and for lack of a better term, trial and error, I managed to get everything working on the VAIO. I literally did 2 cartwheels and I popped and locked.

Again, really glad to hear your success, I am always glad to help out a fellow hackmac'er.

Cheers

Prof. Synthology

• 1 month later...

Hello, i have an VAIO VGN - nr230ae, installed using the ideneb 1, 4. apparently installed fine, but the resolution only works in 1024 x 768 and nothing works (audio, Internet, WiFi, keyboard). The best for me? kalyway? ideneb? iatkos?

Help!!

• 3 months later...
***UPDATE - This method also works for 10.5.4 and 10.5.5***

Greetings All,

For my reference and hopefully other VAIO laptop users, I have provided a simple fix for X3100 on a Sony VAIO VGN-NR160E/S laptop.

I hope this works for other VAIO owners, as this worked great for me. Too bad we still need Natit, but its beats VESA hands down.

Enlosed in my package are simcolor's X3100 frame buffer and Paulicat's Natit. I have provided the instructions to install and repair permissions, so the installation can go as smooth as possible.

Keep in mind, my fix is for those who plunged into 10.5.3 and Vanilla flavored kernels with GUID tables.

Remember to install the latest SwitchResX (control panel is fine)

and add your screen resolution to it (mine is 1280x800)

I now have a fully functional 10.5.3 install and X3100 on my VAIO

Cheers.

Prof. Synthology

Special Thanks to Simcolor and Paulicat for their files, time and knowledge. Cheers to you mates.

NR160ES_X3100.zip

HELP! Well I've sort of successfully installed Leo 10.5.6 from iDeneb, found the right video drivers here, but so far they haven't worked - about to install SwitchResX and reinstall them, people have had success. So I'm in, with a square screen (rather than 15.4 " widescreen 1200x800), other major probs: no ethernet (tho' I think the wifi is fine but we're cabled here, so that means no internet on there for the moment). says it's installed, but Safari is dead. Help? Also no sound I think (again, says it's there), and most crucially perhaps no dvd rw drive detected!! Well I thought that one might be an issue.. Sony's Optiarc drives are problematic, I had probs even upgrading from Vista Home Prem to Ultimate. Really need some help. Perhaps I should just get hold of latest iAtkos? Seems fellow Sony Insanely Mac-ers have used all kinds tho', including Ideneb, with eventual success. Any ideas???? Cheers mate