2008 macbook hard drive and ram upgrade

22 posts in this topic

i am hopefully getting a US macbook for myself (UK). I want to buy the cheapest version macbook ($1099 in US, $1400 in UK!) when i am on holiday (or "vacation"). I was hoping to upgrade the hard drive to a 500GB from here: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...roductID=802975

and  i want to do a ram upgrade from here: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....2KIT25664AC667)

what i want to know, please help me:

1) i heard about problems with the airport card and US channels and UK channels

2) will the hard drive work in the macbook? is 500GB too much?

3) is the ram the correct type/speed?

4) is the warranty still valid in the UK?

5) anything else i should be aware of?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME!

no idea, I don't use wireless.

2) will the hard drive work in the macbook? is 500GB too much?

The hard drive you have linked to will not fit. The drive needs to be a 9.5mm high model (I find it rather dissapointing that scan do not post height information for laptop drives on thier site)

Noone seems to know what if anything the limit on hard drive size is but I suspect it is higher than any currently availible drive that will fit.

3) is the ram the correct type/speed?

yes

4) is the warranty still valid in the UK?

no idea

5) anything else i should be aware of?

The machine with have an american keyboard layout which does not include the pound sign (you could run an american keyboard with british layout settings but at least on normal PCs there is one less key on an american keyboard)

I would not buy the bottom model macbook as it lacks the dvd writer and upgrading the optical drive looks to be a major PITA. It also has a slower processor which is significant as the processor can only be upgraded by replacing the entire logic board.

If you are a uni student or staff (or if you are prepared to be a little naughty and have a friend who is) check out apples education discount store ( apple.procureweb.ac.uk , you will need to visit from a uni connection )

Currently the biggest laptop HDD available for a MacBook is 320GB. I know cause I was looking for the biggest one. And there's no such thing as too much GBs.

2.2GHz late 07 model. 4GB ram, 320 HDD.

Oh that angers me. The biggest HDD I found for my MacBook was the 320. Damnit. I want that 500! That just ruined my day.

1. US Airport won't work with channels 13 and 14 from the UK, this is simple configuration issue, just set your router to use the channel 6, issue solved.

2. I don't think there is a 500GB HDD for now, well, at least, not from Apple.

3. Yup. Right memory.

4. Warranty for mobile devices, such as iPod, MacBook and MacBook Pro are valid worldwide. I got my iPod replaced in Mexico when it was not working. I had AppleCare and they gave me a brand new one, the same applies for the MacBook.

5. If you change the memory of your MacBook, there won't be any problem with the warranty, as this is marked as user replaceable, for the Hard Disk, as far as I know, it is not marked as user replaceable, so the warranty will be void if you change it.

My recommendation: Configure the MB, MBP directly @ Apple, maybe it is a bit more expensive, but it will be hassle free for warranty issues and all that kind of stuff.

1. US Airport won't work with channels 13 and 14 from the UK, this is simple configuration issue, just set your router to use the channel 6, issue solved.

2. I don't think there is a 500GB HDD for now, well, at least, not from Apple.

3. Yup. Right memory.

4. Warranty for mobile devices, such as iPod, MacBook and MacBook Pro are valid worldwide. I got my iPod replaced in Mexico when it was not working. I had AppleCare and they gave me a brand new one, the same applies for the MacBook.

5. If you change the memory of your MacBook, there won't be any problem with the warranty, as this is marked as user replaceable, for the Hard Disk, as far as I know, it is not marked as user replaceable, so the warranty will be void if you change it.

My recommendation: Configure the MB, MBP directly @ Apple, maybe it is a bit more expensive, but it will be hassle free for warranty issues and all that kind of stuff.

THANK YOU - THAT WAS THE REPLY I WAS AFTER!

Grreeaatt, you are far too impatient with all the bumps. People don't live on this forum. We get to it when we can. And JSN, who wants to buy upgrades from Apple? Unless you're ridiculously rich since they are WAAAYY too overpriced.

I mean for the user replaceable part. It is just a recommendation...

I do prefer asking for a bigger HD that is a bit expensive, but it comes with Leopard and I don't void my warranty.

Also, I would have a spare 250GB HD that I would use for nothing.

However, yes, you are correct, they are a bit overpriced, at least a 30%, however, this comes hassle free.

For some people it is easy to change an HD and spend less.

For some other people it is easier to pay a bit more and have their HD upgraded.

I do prefer asking for a bigger HD that is a bit expensive, but it comes with Leopard and I don't void my warranty.

However, yes, you are correct, they are a bit overpriced, at least a 30%, however, this comes hassle free.

For some other people it is easier to pay a bit more and have their HD upgraded.

thanks for your opin ion, but i have already filled up a 500GB hard drive so another hard drive to store stuff on would be great (im a data wh*re)!

p.s. i bump the threads regularly becuase i am getting the macbook REAL soon and want the opinions of the mac community as what best to do

You can just copy your entire HD onto your new one. That's what I did. I just googled HD copy mac and I found a little program called Carbon Copy Cloner. Worked perfectly fine. And there's no such thing as a HD going to waste. You can go on macsales.com and get a DIY external kit for pretty cheap. Like I get what your saying and all, but it just doesn't make sense to me when there are cheaper solutions.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually not to say this information posted previously isnt correct. But i personally used my Macbook Pro 15" on channel 13 using a linksys wrt350n with a flashed rom from sveasoft (http://www.sveasoft.com/). I live in an area with quite a few wireless connection and by using this rom and a channel not allowed with stock routers I get a good signal without dropped signals.

• 1 year later...