I May Have To Give Up

Amhobby

9 posts in this topic

Dell Inspiron 531 4gb Ram ext 320gb ext HD. I can't believe how something that sounds so simple has given me so much trouble. I finally figured out how to downloaded the Kalyway torrent 10.5.2 and tried to burn it to a DVD and it only put 87KB on the disk and now the torrent file has dissapeared from my hard drive. So I am now back to square one. I have been messing with this for 3 days now and have gotten no where. I have read all the FAQ's and followed the directions but I just can't seem to be able to do it. I guess I am forced to stick with Vista. I didn't think I was this computer illiterate but I guess I am. Can I just buy the Mac OS and install it somehow? Is there any simpler step by step instructions anywhere? Thanks for listening......

Dell Inspiron 531 4gb Ram ext 320gb ext HD. I can't believe how something that sounds so simple has given me so much trouble. I finally figured out how to downloaded the Kalyway torrent 10.5.2 and tried to burn it to a DVD and it only put 87KB on the disk and now the torrent file has dissapeared from my hard drive. So I am now back to square one. I have been messing with this for 3 days now and have gotten no where. I have read all the FAQ's and followed the directions but I just can't seem to be able to do it. I guess I am forced to stick with Vista. I didn't think I was this computer illiterate but I guess I am. Can I just buy the Mac OS and install it somehow? Is there any simpler step by step instructions anywhere? Thanks for listening......

Yes you can buy Mac OS and install it but only on a Mac.

Did you download the torrent or did you use the torrent to download the iso? It's hard to lose a 4Gb iso.

If you're having problems getting to grips with torrents and burning ISOs, I wouldn't recommend installing OS X on anything but a mac. I'm not saying, at all, that you're stupid or wouldn't be able to but if you're fustrated with just this little step, the potential problems of a hack are really going to drive you crazy.

If you want to perservere though, it sounds like you've burnt the .torrent file and not the ISO file. Open up your torrent client (uTorrent or whatever you're using) and right click the kalyway torrent, there will be a option something like "Show Files" that will open the ISOs location in an explorer window. If you've already deleted the torrent from the client window, open a search and search the Users folder in Vista. Last time I used it I remember there being an option under the advanced section that let you search for files bigger than x amount, so try searching for files bigger than 3.5GB, or just try a normal search with the term ".iso" (possibly "*.iso") without quotes and see what the search dredges up.

If you find it and still want to burn it, make sure you're burning the disk image to a disk (the option in your burning program will be something like "Burn from image" or similar), not just putting the image on the disk like you would a data file.

wait so you burnt the whole file on the dvd and in vista it showed only 87 kbs

if thats the case and you havnt tried booting with it then

its because windows cant read have the files on there

just my <_<

For me it looks like you downloaded and burnt the torrent file itself. You need a bittorrent client that uses the torrent file for downloading the whole iso !!!

wait so you burnt the whole file on the dvd and in vista it showed only 87 kbs

if thats the case and you havnt tried booting with it then

its because windows cant read have the files on there

just my :D

You could be right about that.

Someone might want to do a torrent/iso 101 thread. It was new to me a year and a half ago to.I spent abbut as much time trying to figure those things out as setting up OSX.

6 months ago i couldn't spell geek, now i are one. :(

No no!! Don't give up!! When i started 3 days ago I had only a torrent and some directions to go from. The torrent I used was a flat-img torrent that worked perfectly. Requires no DVD burn, everything goes from HD. I have installed on both an external 60Gig and an extra internal. Running WinXP side-by-side w/ OSX86 and have no issues. Drivers are the biggest battle, but those will come with time and research.

Not supposed to post torrents on here, but a quick search on google for leopard flat-img will bring up what you need. Then you just need to use a torrent prog to download and you are set. Directions are included with the files.

-Jeff

Yeah, I agree, don't give up. When I first heard of this project, I said it couldn't work. Silly me. :o

I got the leo4all distro, and burned it to dvd, looked at the result in Xp, and it showed I had ony 47something kb on the disk. Dang, that can't be right, I messed up somwhere. Redo, same result. Huh? Oh well wth, I'll try it. Go into bios, set to boot from cdrom, wait for crash. What? no crash? Hey! I've got OSX installing! Get kext files for video card @ sound, buy new USB keyboard, ('cause mac doesn't like PS2, :P ), Load up OSX again, and it recognizes my new kbd, Try a few things, and load up Unity Game Engine Trial. After a few mins, it starts bogging down. uh oh, I'm in trouble. Download Google Earth, and it bogs down right from the get go. Dang.

I had already downloaded Kalyway 10.5.2, so I burned the iso to DVD, and installed that one, after reformatting the Leo drive. Installed without a hitch, I just picked the "driver" files I needed. Luckily, they were all there. Reinstall Unity, and now it runs fine, more or less. At least I can learn how to use it. Funny thing though. I erased the OSX drive before format, and reinstall, and when I installed Unity, I still knew how many days I had to try it. Weird.

Everthing else seems to be running fine, except in system profiler, it can't seem to read my memory. Oh well. :)