AMD 64 - Perfect Configuration?

6 posts in this topic

i am sorry if my posting has been answered somewhere else, but i couldn't

use the search-function properly.

situation: i know some intel 915G board work perfectly (eg. asrock)

question: is there any AMD board that also works (nearly outofthebox) as good as this?

i will definitely make a switch now, but dislike intel and would buy AMD

instead. but i refrain doing it, because of i am unsure of (stable) drivers.

thanks in advance,

das epsilon

i am sorry if my posting has been answered somewhere else, but i couldn't

use the search-function properly.

situation: i know some intel 915G board work perfectly (eg. asrock)

question: is there any AMD board that also works (nearly outofthebox) as good as this?

i will definitely make a switch now, but dislike intel and would buy AMD

instead. but i refrain doing it, because of i am unsure of (stable) drivers.

thanks in advance,

das epsilon

The Nforce boards will work with a bit of Tinkering. My MSI KN8 Neo2 Platinum for example, uses a Nforce3 chipset and a Broadcom Gigabtye ethernet. The Lan was detected and i was able to use it with out any trouble. How ever Onboard Audio and UDMA support Requires some Kext Editing, but can be done and onces done works perfectly. If you looking for Video Support the only GFX card with QE and OpenGl is the Intel GMA900 Onboard. However I can tell you My 6800GT AGP works in Vesa3.0 mode and I can Change Resolutions and the OS is very responsive.

Edit: Also to make sure you have the least amount of trouble make sure you get a AMD64 cpu that supports SSE3. That would be any CPU based on the (San diego or Venice cores)

The Nforce boards will work with a bit of Tinkering. My MSI KN8 Neo2 Platinum for example, uses a Nforce3 chipset and a Broadcom Gigabtye ethernet. The Lan was detected and i was able to use it with out any trouble. How ever Onboard Audio and UDMA support Requires some Kext Editing, but can be done and onces done works perfectly. If you looking for Video Support the only GFX card with QE and OpenGl is the Intel GMA900 Onboard. However I can tell you My 6800GT AGP works in Vesa3.0 mode and I can Change Resolutions and the OS is very responsive.

Edit: Also to make sure you have the least amount of trouble make sure you get a AMD64 cpu that supports SSE3. That would be any CPU based on the (San diego or Venice cores)

That's funny I have the exact same rig, but for some reason I can't change the refresh rate in the registry nor in Darwin. What's this UDMA everyone is talking about? Will that make it so I can change my refresh rate?

What's this UDMA everyone is talking about?  Will that make it so I can change my refresh rate?

UDMA is Ultra DMA.

A protocol developed by Quantum Corporation and Intel that supports burst mode data transfer rates of 33.3 MBps. This is twice as fast as the previous disk drive standard for PCs, and is necessary to take advantage of new, faster Ultra ATA disk drives.

It will make no difference on your graphics refresh rate. I haven't played with the refresh rates in OS X yet so I can't tell you how to set it.