Build: Pretty Sure this near-100% compatible

8 posts in this topic

The goal is to have a everyday + DAW machine built into an aluminum briefcase for toting to the studio 1x/week from home. I teach guitar. My Dell-mac laptop got stolen last week so I need something to hold things over until I can afford a macbook pro or an imac (used) later in the year (and maybe some insurance). Then, this can be a secondary machine of some sort. If someone were to look at this utility case they, likely, would not steal it - plus it will be pretty beefy in some respects. The Dell even with one core and built in graphics was great.

Actually, as I was picking out these parts for myself (and this community perhaps - as a build) a friend asked me to build his family a computer. This is the full cart for them. I already have a power supply and a 17" LCD monitor. So this is down to a thrifty $450 ish. For them, I actually suggested a refurbished iMac which is what they are getting now, hey!

In school we're learning Magazine Publishing - InDesign and Photoshop - but I also love recording music.

I had a Wolfdale in the list but downgraded to save a hundred bucks. Hey, that's 10% of a mac! A low profile video card would be cool, perhaps. I can dremel an extra port slot if needed. I was wondering what would work for dual and different monitor dimensions that is affordable (non gaming) and works without kexting. Is there anything?

Oh, vanilla kernals? Whatever you recommend. I'm not quite cognizant of those options

Actually, this build took a lot of research, so I am delighted that it should work. Thanks gentlemen.

I would recommend a pci wireless card, maybe. I'm using an Asus wl-138-v2 and it works perfectly. But no big deal.

Nice setup, everything looks good. Vanilla Kernel=Native Apple Kernel which is supported by Core 2 Duo

Good budget setup, but if you want to use it as a DAW you might want to look into a bit faster CPU or even a Quad. And I suggest a WD6400AAKS over the seagate.

Well, I really wanted to build this thing, but my old roomate sold me one of his macbooks, the black one for $800. I am amazed that I might actually learn how to type on this keyboard. There really is a lot of design, value added attributes with Apple products that make them - better.

The guys stated elswhere that macbooks rule the roost as far as laptops go, that is correct. In fact buying a new non-Apple laptop is a weak decision. Building a box hackintoshh is a great idea. I can't help but think that this whole osx86 movement is healthy for Apple (and much worse for Mcrsft); reasons to follow. Thanks Apple for making computing not seem like of of life's negatives. Staring at something ugly for years on end is a bad choice. Working through a well construed, multifacteted design that is nice on the eyes is a blessing I can promote.

@guitaristz - the g33 chipset comes with integrated gma 3100...i learned that from personal experience, *off-topic* coupled with the terribly incompatible nvidia 9600gt card *groans*