8800GT & Ripple Effect Artifacts

pitap

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded from 7800GT to XFX 8800GT 256MB XXX edition for better gaming experience , which kind of forced me to upgrade my hackmac OS to leopard. Installed Kalyway 10.5.2 and then NVinstaller V.41 with everything working fine except I realized that the fade in transition animation for the dashboard is very sluggish at a certain condition (hard to explain) and that there is artifacts durring the ripple effect(see attached picture).

Could someone tell me what could cause this? faulty card? or faulty driver?

Many many thanks for answering the question

post-197144-1211428210_thumb.png

post-197144-1211681789_thumb.png

what version of OSX? do you have leopard graphics update installed? what does about this mac -> more info -> graphics show?

I am on 10.5.2 from Kalyway. Using gfx string , 10.5.3 kext and open framework.

so far, other than the ripple the rest works fine. Tried C&C3 (Mac) without signs of artifacts (tho performance sucks) and WOW pretty good frame rate with max setting. This is really a strange issue...

post-197144-1211728925_thumb.png

post-197144-1211729982_thumb.png

thats really weird, did it do it in 10.5.2 and are you sure? having a mismatched nvidia kexts + opengl framework could cause that.

The reason why I ended up with 10.5.3 drivers is because all the previous versions gave me glitches ><..

Could the bios of the card in anyway affect the compatibility of the drivers? I have the economic version of xfx 8800GT with fix fan speed and one operating mode (locked at 650 core 1620 shader and 800 ram)

Wish i could help, i cant even get my geforce 8800GT (0x0611) to work with nvinject. Its quite disapointing actually.
I believe u can't just use NVinject directly, there is extra procedures to get 8 series working (if i remember right). Have you tried NVinstaller? GFX strings is also a good method (which i prefer) and not too difficult to do.
Can you test it in a windows game??? try to run 3dmark or atitool (artifacts scan utility)
COD4 under winxp, Smooth, Oblivion, Smooth...ATItool, fine.. I am either gonna fight for a new card from XFX or RMA refund it from Newegg.. this card is not worth the low price tag, locked operating mode and one noisy fan speed.

nvinject works, it's just garbage that the guy has 20 different version of it. go find nvkush, its a lot simpler and works perfectly with 8 series cards.

Gotta give gotoh some credits tho.. he did make a lot of poeple's life easier :)

• 1 year later...

Hey, I have the same issue with a PNY 512MB 8800GT, although the ripple artifacting is slightly less severe. There is also some occasional screen tearing, especially when playing Flash videos in fullscreen.

...and once or twice I have seen sections of Finder windows turn black (sending the window to the Dock and back fixed it).

There are likely heat-related issues, right (probably exacerbated by Nvidia's notorious quality problems over the past 12-18 months; see the MacBook Pro recalls of summer 2008)?

If I go into Windows XP and bump up the graphics card's fan speed in the BIOS so it runs a little cooler, will those settings take hold in OS X? Will they be written into the card's onboard memory?

Thanks in advance...