Stupid Dell

6 posts in this topic

So I have a Dell XPS 210 that was bought in late 06/early 07. XP was installed, but as I knew it would, it became slow from viruses and such. Enter kalyway 10.5.2. Installed it successfully, but ethernet and sound don't work. Not worried about the sound; I'll get that done later. I'm stuck on getting the ethernet going. It doesn't recognize my connection at all. I'm not sure where to go from here, but any help you guys can give me would be great. I'm a noob at this, so any step by step instructions anyone can give me would be great!

Thanks!

I bet your Dell is saying:"Stupid User, My Ethernet is fine!"

You should check to see which NiC is in it! There are at least 11 guys on the forum with the same machine, so most issues will have been resolved!

Maybe if you booted from a Linux based DVD like Ubuntu and you check the config and the you should find what soundcard, and NIC is used and what their respective Product ID's and Vendor ID's are

StiCMAN

an easy and quick method of resolution is the PCI NIC workaround, disabble the built in nic on the motherboard and install a known working PCI Nic card. The NIC in my HP DC7700 does not work and no drivers available.

Gentlemen, thank you for your responses. One word that one of you said inspired me to "work around" the ethernet. So I just grabbed a Wii LAN adapter and hooked it up, and presto! a quick fix that didn't hurt my brain. Anyway, thank you for your time and wish me luck on the sound driver issue......