Intel may cut Nvidia out of the market this upcomming June.

5 posts in this topic

A few days ago I read an article about the Intel Nehalem processors and how the graphics would be planted directly above the processor for better performance. Nvidia said that they wouldn't be able to make graphics cards because the graphic chip is pretty much part of the processor and that they are going to end up in bankrupcy. The C.E.O. commented that Intel is doing a big monopoly and that it needs to be stopped for the sake of everyone. If Intel were to go through with this millions of PC gamers who may go and buy a new computer thats good for gaming but has a nehalem processor they are 100% screwed.

source-Cnet.com, under the rummers part of the site.

amd/ati already offers a processor that does this. nvidia hasn't gone out of business. gamers will always buy a dedicated video card. this is for ppl you just need a pc to surf the net, run ms office, ect.. just look at the size of top end gaming cards. you have to sacrifice performance when you decrease the cards size so that it will fit on a processor. this is for "mainstream" pc consumers and the ppl who buy nvidia cards are "mainstream" pc consumers, they are "pc gaming" consumers ("budget/entry-level" nvidia cards are excluded from this argument 'cause ppl who buy those cards just need a video card so that they can connect their monitor to it 'cause their motherboards doesn't have an integrated video cards...).

i think i found your source

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9895892-37.html?tag=blog.4

The article simply says that Intel is doing GPGPUs right, and NVIDIA left themselves out in the cold. Sure doesn't look like Intel's fault here...if anything, it's NVIDIA's fault for sitting on their asses since their last major GPU release. They are going to become the next AMD (ala K8) if they remain complacent with their current products for too long.

I guess this was the source http://www.cnet.com/8301-13924_1-9916414-64.html

Personally I think intel still has a long way to go, but of course nvidia must work to stay on top.

Having the gpu coupled directly to the cpu will give some serious benefits though. And I am able to see nvidias worries. No latency because of bus issues and possibilty to use the new instructions set to seriously improve rendering of physics, graphics and sound environment all in one chip. Which means you can make routines that does all this in a go. And one more important benefit will of course be low-power (and of course also much lower heat). Apple could have high quality gfx in a macbook air case pc.