What's accessing my HDD?

Hillin

7 posts in this topic

I have a iTAKOS v1.0ir2 installed on my laptop, with a Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update.

The laptop has a 120GB SATA-HDD, core2duo T5500 CPU and 1GB DDR2-667 RAM.

My problem is, the HDD-LED sparks continuously from the system boot on, and never stop unless it's shut down.

I know I have a poor RAM in storage but it says I have at lease 300MB free memory in the Activity Monitor program.

What's wrong with it?

Probably Spotlight. It's constantly scanning your hard drives and indexing the contents of files. More information here on how to disable it. Get ready for some command-line juju and if you're uncomfortable with that then you can just drag your hard drive icons to the "privacy" area in the Spotlight Preferences pane of System Settings.

That's probably a Windows user holdover. Lost of folks disable indexing in XP because it is poorly implemented and an unnecessary drain on resources. This isn't true of Spotlight. Once the initial indexing is done it works beautifully.

just let it run like the others suggested, it might take extra time you have have a slower drive or lots of files. one thing you can do is make it not index your windows drives, just go to system prefs -> spotlight -> privacy and drag whatever drives or folders in there that you don't want to be indexed.

i have my windows vista partition in there.

the initial index can take a few hours and every time you connect a new drive, it can take a while to index it if it has a lot of files.