LOGIC 8 BENCHMARK

seppa

133 posts in this topic

OKi ! here you'll find a benchmark to download, look at firechild post.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-compu...w-mac-pros.html

You can also see attachement

Result:[/b][/u] I can run 16 tracks no prob. with 17 tracks is stable but It might stop the first time. from the18th and so on it runs out of processing power that's with the latency set at 256

My setup:

leo4allv3- vanilla9.2.2

mobo: badaxe2

cpu:Q6600(quad)

Fsb:1066HZ

Ram: 2GB 800MHZ DDR2

Audio: Rme Fireface 400

According to Firechild listing I run as well as a Macbook Pro: its a Core2duo and I have a quad.

How many can you run?

Post your result here with your rig so we can all compare Hackintosh Vs Mac. I hope many people will participate so we get interesting results. :D

Happy benchmarking :D

Ps: geekbench 64bit score: 5403

EvanLogicMultiCoreBenchmark.logic.zip

I can run 19-21 traks depending on well I just don´t know it just varies from time to time but 19 tracks seems to bee totally stable.

GA P35DS3R mobo

Q6600 cpu

8 gig memory

IDE 7300 rpm HD

Exsys EX-6450 Pci -> FW (Ti chipset)

Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 i/o

buffersize 256

I had to delete tracks until I was left with only 10 to get it working!

unmuting caused at the 4th track the first stop, but I also could run all tracks for a while!

deleting another 5 tracks makes my cpus not to get into red!

toshiba laptop

dual core 1.7 ghz fsb 522mhz

2 gb ram

usb soundcard mbox2

HDD 5700 rpm

It would also be interesting to see if you can increase the track count with a higher latency setting. Say 23ms (1024) as opposed to 6ms (256). Low latency isn't really necessary when mixing and a higher latency setting will not use as much CPU power.

@penarol, the link is not functioning, but do a google search gearslutz_logic_benchmark or smth.

@bonk13, yes a comparisson between 256 and 1024 would be cool! will do and edit my first post!

Nice to see some interest :

ok, for those having trouble downloding it, see attached file.

It would also be interesting to see if you can increase the track count with a higher latency setting. Say 23ms (1024) as opposed to 6ms (256). Low latency isn't really necessary when mixing and a higher latency setting will not use as much CPU power.

Actually I tried at different latency but it seems to make litlle or no difference. 256 seem to be the optimal latency setting for my system... The Rme seems to get on really well with my rig.

I can run 19-21 traks depending on well I just don´t know it just varies from time to time but 19 tracks seems to bee totally stable.

Not bad ! We have similar specs.... still at least 2 extra track comparing to me. I wonder did you tweak anything on osx ?

Regarding my original post:I did make sure all program were close to ensure no processing power was waisted. It did allow me to have an extra track during testing.

EvanLogicMultiCoreBenchmark.logic.zip

No I did no tweaks, maby 8 gigs for some reason makes a difference but I doubt it. First time I run this test (found it over on a Scandinavian Logic forum a couple of weeks ago) it run 21 tracks pretty stable, cores on red but still working. From then it´s been varying like I say above here, beats me why though? People with real macs such as G5s and Imacs could run somewhere round 12 - 17 tracks or so hehe. Some guys with real mac pros say the can double the track count though and even more (40- 60) depending on specs on their macs. There´s another guy there also (secretly like me) running a hack getting the same performance as I do.This is a pretty heavy test and compared to a real 2*4 core 2-3 ( or what ever) Ghz 24 (or more) Gig memory Mac Pro a quad core hacks performance is pretty outstanding thinking about how little you pay for it.I´ve run my Mac mini as a Logic node and I can add round 11 tracks to those 19-21 I get on my qaudcore hack. Funny though cause it seemed to be somewhat upside down cause for some reason I ended up having to run moast of the tracks on the Mini (Logic node). I don´t know maby I messed up in some way but I believe I ended up with 11 tracks remaining on the quad and 20 or so shipped over to be processed on the node! But in short words if you add nodes to your system it seems you can trust you get the same amount of tracks extra that they can handle themselves so this is really promising for sure.Oh I forgot to say it works best if you mute tracks by rightclicking on the tracks in the arrange and select mute unmute from the menu. Probably you can get a few more tracks if you also delete tracks in the arrange and channelstrips in the mixer that you can´t run anyway, I believe I read somewhere that this might take of some of the load from the cpu.

Seems there´s no difference between 256 - 1024 the guys over there tested that to.

I managed to run 22 tracks for a period longer than 2 minutes today(in the same conditions).... but since then its between 17-19 tracks....

By looking at the meters It looks as if the core manager did a constant good job my rig would handle 22 tracks every single time. It seems that it s the bad core usage balance that cause logic to stop.... not all cpu power is used.

Maybe logic is not as efficient as ableton live at handling multicore.

Probably that´s the case but still we´d be able to run some pretty heavy projects. I´m guessing when it comes to audio tracks with channelstrips on every track like the presets that comes with Logic and rewired to a bunch of synts in Reason and a few VST and /or softsynts loaded I don´t think I´ll ever hit the roof for my needs.

Man it´s so strange we get such a big difference between rigs that should get about the same trackcount. I don´t know maby it ´s still so that how much memory you have installed also counts in for some reason. It should´nt but what´s happening then, beats me?

Hi, this probably isn't a valid test on my part as I'm using Logic Express 8 but....

I got 14 tracks on the P4 3.0 gig

I got 35 tracks on the E6600 2.4 gig

I didn't try it on the Opteron

There is something funny with the tracks starting at 17. I deleted all the rest (18-74...) and copied and pasted the 17 to get the above numbers. Also when I was duplicating tracks Logic Express 8 complained that it didn't have the plugin "SpacesDsn" which probably explains my high numbers.

Hi, this probably isn't a valid test on my part as I'm using Logic Express 8 but....

I got 14 tracks on the P4 3.0 gig

I got 35 tracks on the E6600 2.4 gig

I didn't try it on the Opteron

There is something funny with the tracks starting at 17. I deleted all the rest (18-74...) and copied and pasted the 17 to get the above numbers. Also when I was duplicating tracks Logic Express 8 complained that it didn't have the plugin "SpacesDsn" which probably explains my high numbers.

Did the same, erased track 17 on and now I was able to run upto 18 tracks but after a while it just stops. I will try to install Uphucks new iAtkos 2.0 release which is specially made for Intel CoreDuo setups.

Yeah I believe the combination of the other heavy plugins involved and Spacedesigner is an important part of this test. On my P4 3 Ghz running Logic Pro 8 I get 4 tracks in other words pretty ok for an old cpu like that. I also believe it´s important to realize that the track count for ordinary Wav/Audio tracks will be a completely different story. I don´t know about you guys but I can run over 20 tracks an a whole bunch of plugins in Logic Platinum 5.5.1 (legal version to) in PC mode on my P4. I´m expecting about the same when I run it in Mac mode and Logic Pro 8.

Yeah I believe the combination of the other heavy plugins involved and Spacedesigner is an important part of this test. On my P4 3 Ghz running Logic Pro 8 I get 4 tracks in other words pretty ok for an old cpu like that. I also believe it´s important to realize that the track count for ordinary Wav/Audio tracks will be a completely different story. I don´t know about you guys but I can run over 20 tracks an a whole bunch of plugins in Logic Platinum 5.5.1 (legal version to) in PC mode on my P4. I´m expecting about the same when I run it in Mac mode and Logic Pro 8.

These tracks use the most CPU hungry plug-ins in Logic. What people do is create a couple of buses and share the plug-ins with different tracks. In other words you are not going to have 17 tracks using the convolution reverb. I think if anyone needs more plug-in power you can 1. create a logic node (as long as you only need plug-ins not instruments) 2. shell out the cash and get a real Mac Pro. I which I could do 2, but I've spent all my cash in other gear.

I'm a bit busy and my testing has been slim. As soon as Im done with what Im working on (not OSX related) I'll get back with music. I have JP-8080 I have barely used.

-Cheers

When I first got this I did a few benchmark tests of my own with Logic. I loaded up 6 tracks with 4 space designers and 1 scuplture, played notes on each and let it run. It went to around 40% I believe on the CPU meter.

Honestly though, I'm not feeling either one of those plugins(or just can't use 'em right). I just stick to good old platinumverb and averb. The ES2 still owns along with the all the other synths for that matter(ES1, ESP etc). I think the multimeter is my favorite new plugin.

Go Logic!

• 2 weeks later...
27 tracks hey that´s good is it cause you´re running leo 10.5.3? I´m still running Kalys 10.5.1. I have the same q6600 cpu and 8 gig memory but I get 19 - 20 tracks.

only 10.5.2 with logic 8.02

will try with 10.5.3 next week