Cleaning up Extension Folder?

10 posts in this topic

Someone saw my loading time on my OS X Leopard install and mentioned that it was slow. I thought so as well. He told me that I should delete things from my Extensions folder and it can make boot up time much faster. I don't really know what to delete though. Can I just go deleting anything that looks like I don't need it?

For example I see something called "Apple_iSight.kext" and I don't have an iSight camera, so can I just delete it? Another I see is "AppleIntelGMA950.kext"...and I could go on and on with examples...but it's safe to delete these things right? And this should improve boot up time? What is important to keep btw?

Well I deleted all the ATI ones, and some other ones that didn't seem to relate to my hardware at all. Many of the other one's I'm not sure about though.

The one's I'm NOT sure about:

All the ACard one's (there's about 6 of them with different numbers/letters - maybe for ata/ide/sata cards?

ALF.kext

Many of the Apple ones...(there's a {censored} load of these)

Any ideas? What have you guy's done regarding the Extensions folder?

P.S. I'm referring to /System/Library/Extensions

Oh hmm, I guess I was told wrong then. I was told to remove stuff that is not for my hardware.

What should I look into when it comes to slow boot times? My performance in OS X is excellent though, faster than any real Mac I have ever used, but boot time is kinda {censored}. Takes like a whole minute. Vista boots faster. And the iMacs in my school boot up in like 15 seconds, but yet are much slower performance wise then my Hackintosh?

Boot time has to do with kext cache and startup items mostly. Try the f flag .

You can also see if you have any extra not needed user deamons. Look it library/launchdaemons and see if you have anything in there that you can get rid of. Also check your accounts in system pref see if there are any startup app you can get rid of. Also adjust your countdown time in apple.com.boot.plist. Perhaps adjust that to 1 or zero.

If all of that gets done then its as fast as its gonna be really.

It could be that there is not much to do, but if you check when you boot where it stops. If you have nvinject and/or alcinject it is possible to add the config to com.apple.Boot.plist instead with pcefi8. That usually speed up a bit.

If its a PowerPC kext/bundle, you can delete it

Like in Tiger:

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ACard62xxM.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/ACard62xxM.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/ACard68xxM.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/ACard671xSCSI.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/ACard6885M.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/ACard67162.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/Adaptec78XXSCSI.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/Adaptec290X-2930.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/Adaptec29160x.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/Adaptec39160.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/Apple02Audio.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAD741x.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleADM103x.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleADT746x.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBlower.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleCore99NVRAM.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleCPUThermo.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleDallasDriver.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleFan.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleFCU.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleFlashNVRAM.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGPIO.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGracklePCI.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHeathrow.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleI2SModemFamily.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleK2.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleK2Driver.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleK2Fan.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleK2SATA.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleK2SATARoot.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleKauaiATA.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleKeyLargo.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleKiwiATA.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleKiwiRoot.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLM7x.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLM8x.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLM87.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRiscPCI.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMaxim1989.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMaxim6690.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMPIC.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMPIC.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleOnboardAudio.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePMU.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMU.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMUMonitor.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSPU.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVSP.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/ATTOExpressPCIPlus.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AudioDeviceTreeUpdater.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/CM4040.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/CMD646ATA.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/CMD646Root.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/CRYPTOCardPCCard.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/HeathrowATA.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/I2CGPIO.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOADBFamily.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CAD741x.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CADT746x.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CControllerPMU.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CControllerPPC.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CControllerSMU.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CDeviceFCU.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CDriveBayGPIO.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CFamily.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CLM6x.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CLM7x.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CLM8x.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CMaxim1631.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CMaxim1989.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CMaxim6690.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CSMUSat.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOKeyLargo.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/KeyLargoATA.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/LSIUltra320.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/MacIOGPIO.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/MegaRAID.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/SCR24X_Apple_Driver.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/SharedIP.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/VirtualAudioDriver.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort.kext/

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleLynx.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBMacEthernet.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PBG4_PlatformPlugin.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PBG4_ThermalProfile.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PowerMac11_2_PlatformPlugin.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PowerMac11_2_ThermalProfile.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PowerMac12_1_PlatformPlugin.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PowerMac12_1_ThermalProfile.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PowerMac7_2_PlatformPlugin.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PowerMac8_1_ThermalProfile.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PowerMac9_1_ThermalProfile.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/RackMac3_1_PlatformPlugin.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIParallelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOSCSIFamily.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRS574Serial.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleSCCSerial.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleVerizonSupport.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleVerizonSupportKicker.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/DCPModemSupport.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/InternalUSBModem.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/MotorolaSM56K.kext/