Ethernet Adapter recognized, OS saying Cable Unplugged

jreezee

10 posts in this topic

10.5.2 via Kalyway Combo Update

GA-P35-DS3L rev 2

Last update ran: the Safari update

Everything was working up until earlier this week. My Ethernet adapter and cables are fine since they work in XP. Leopard is recognizing the adapter but it's saying that the cable is unplugged.

Other users reporting this problem in :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=100848

Any ideas. Thanks.

Same issue, i thought it was just me, i used kalyway 10.5.1 (and i did the manual update to 10.5.2) myself. Just started, having the issue, i can be online for 30 min to an hour, then the connection drops, network panel shows cable unplugged, and gets a wins ip address if i release/renew (169. whatever). Its not a router issue, all my other computers are fine. Something must of happened to our distros, or apple changed something in an update and screwed us all

I think this is the solution for DS3L ( and other motherboards?):

The Mac OS can't "power up" the network card. If it's not powered on, than Mac will say: No cable is plugged in and can't use. But if the lan boot rom is enabled the bios switches it on and everything works fine.

The boot is a bit longer because of the rom, but after than it's surely on.

I got this from : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...9436&st=360

Did it work? : )

No problem! I'm going to try it too when I get home :D

It seems to be Windows who is shutting of the card when shutting down.

This is *another* solution to the problem from the same thread:

If you are a windows user, make sure to enable "Wake on lan after shutdown" in the advanced tab of your network card driver settings dialog (at least for WinXP, no idea if this also applies to Vista)