Whats your opinion on refurbished MB Pros?

12 posts in this topic

So I am going to pick up my first MBP in the next month or two... well I was thinking about getting a refurbished one. Whats everyones opinion on the product you get out of a refurbished machine? Hows the quality and are there any down sides I should know about. Thanks!

Hello

I'm french, excuse me my bad english

My last Three Macintosh are refurbished.

Two iMac G5 and One iMac Intel from french Apple Refurb...

No problem, 99 % of a new iMac, just on the box, is write "refurbished"

:D

I've never seen one with any major scratches. There might be very small ones on the bottom, like with all aluminum PowerBooks and MacBooks, but otherwise they're fine. They come with a full warranty too, and you can get AppleCare on them. Nothing to lose, really.

Generally if you've had a new macbook pro, you've looked after it. And the refurb ones won't be more than a few months old anyway, they sell out so fast. Also the macbook pros are quite hard to get a decent scratch on by accident.

Had a refurb iPod, which was immaculate. I know its not a notebook but it was all in fresh wrappings with new accessories etc.

Funny story. My bro when he was about to head off to college bought a new black macbook from apple. About 2 weeks later I bought a refurbed one, exactly the same specs and everything for (I think) 500$ less. Looks EXACTLY the same, runs just fine, NOTHING wrong with it. I highly recommend refurbished.

Funny story. My bro when he was about to head off to college bought a new black macbook from apple. About 2 weeks later I bought a refurbed one, exactly the same specs and everything for (I think) 500$ less. Looks EXACTLY the same, runs just fine, NOTHING wrong with it. I highly recommend refurbished.

To be fair to your brother, students don't get discounts on refurbs, so he probably got his new for about the same price he could have gotten a refurb, and if he got it during back to school season, he probably also got a deal on an ipod or printer, which wouldn't apply for refurbs (I got my MacBook for $999, and $200 off on a new iPod).

To be fair to your brother, students don't get discounts on refurbs, so he probably got his new for about the same price he could have gotten a refurb, and if he got it during back to school season, he probably also got a deal on an ipod or printer, which wouldn't apply for refurbs (I got my MacBook for $999, and $200 off on a new iPod).

Actually... Students do get discounts on refurbs, at least at the university where I work. We can pick up a new one for just over $1600 and a refurbed one for just under ~$1500

Actually... Students do get discounts on refurbs, at least at the university where I work. We can pick up a new one for just over $1600 and a refurbed one for just under ~$1500

Through Apple or through your university? If I go to the Apple Store for Education, the refurb prices are the same as they are on the regular Apple Store.

I bought a refurb'ed MBP 17" about a month ago and could not be happier. It looked brand new when I pulled it out of the box. The biggest surprise for me was that it came with 4 GB of ram and 250 GB HDD; which were the upgrades I would have picked if I were able to customize the refurb. I am sure it is random which, if any upgrades you can get.