iBook G4 crashed during upgrade to Leopard

khanix

6 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have an iBook G4 which I wanted to upgrade from tiger to leopard. I used a pirated copy of leopard, which apparently was corrupted so the whole process sorta crashed 33% into the install. This left me with only parts of the os installed (or the rest of the old one, I don't know).

The problem is that I'm having a hard time getting anything done to this computer. I've burned another copy of leopard (the first one was not burned by me), both as a dual layer and a single layer DVD, but they refuse to boot. I read in the thread about fitting leopard on a single layer dvd, that leopard can screw up the burning, which is really unfortunate since all my other macs have leopard.

I decided to try something different than leopard and downloaded a copy of Panther, which shows up in the boot menu, but when I proceed it just shows a forbidden sign (like ø) on the screen. Does anybody know what this means?

Does anyone have any suggestions to what I should do? Any hints would be great :)

I decided to try something different than leopard and downloaded a copy of Panther, which shows up in the boot menu, but when I proceed it just shows a forbidden sign (like ø) on the screen. Does anybody know what this means?

I think that means the version of Panther that you have is a restore disk for another computer model. It checks and won't let you install on your iBook.

I suggest restoring your machine with your Tiger restore disks.

it might also mean that panther is older than tiger, so it won't down-grade. I have tried to reduce Leopard to a single-layer DVD, it never worked. So I'm just okay with Tiger. Others here have put Leopard on a 800 Mh G4 and the CPU was just too slow. Stick with Tiger 10.4.11, it just works.

Hi!

I have an iBook G4 which I wanted to upgrade from tiger to leopard. I used a pirated copy of leopard, which apparently was corrupted so the whole process sorta crashed 33% into the install. This left me with only parts of the os installed (or the rest of the old one, I don't know).

The problem is that I'm having a hard time getting anything done to this computer. I've burned another copy of leopard (the first one was not burned by me), both as a dual layer and a single layer DVD, but they refuse to boot. I read in the thread about fitting leopard on a single layer dvd, that leopard can screw up the burning, which is really unfortunate since all my other macs have leopard.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what I should do? Any hints would be great :(

Well, I'm sorry to say, but you're pretty screwed in this scenario. And you can't use a DL DVD in a SL drive. Best idea is to backup via firewire and then cleanly install Leopard.

it might also mean that panther is older than tiger, so it won't down-grade. I have tried to reduce Leopard to a single-layer DVD, it never worked. So I'm just okay with Tiger. Others here have put Leopard on a 800 Mh G4 and the CPU was just too slow. Stick with Tiger 10.4.11, it just works.

Leopard is great on my 800MHz iMac G4 :(

• 2 weeks later...