Leopard on SSE2

thisisepic

21 posts in this topic

I've tried everything I can think of and read 100's of posts and it seems every SSE2 user is not getting any help, with the current releases out there is it even possible to get Leopard up and running? We all get the same issue with the restart loops. Anyone with any ideas or experience getting around this? I've tried both releases of Kalyway with the same results with a sorts of different boot commands.

Some SSE2 processors work, but even still SSE3 emulation in the hacked kernels is not 100% so applications can randomly crash. There is no easy fix, so if you get the instant reboot issue don't expect it to get solved anytime soon. Leopard was written for SSE3 processors.

Alright, well thanks. I guess I'll just go back with Tiger until when/if this problem ever gets solved and the OS can be more reliable.

I'm running a P4 Northwood @ 2.8 GHz with Leopard. I have no problems; even with the whole Adobe CS open while watching a QT HD movie!!! :thumbsdown_anim:

I'm running a P4 Northwood @ 2.8 GHz with Leopard. I have no problems; even with the whole Adobe CS open while watching a QT HD movie!!! :dance_24:

Hi MasterofComputers (great name!),

Could you perhaps share with us your specs (mobo, video card, etc) and your bios settings? What Leo release are you using?

I have the same processor as you (intel p4 2.8ghz northwood) but have run into the rebooting problem whenever I try and install. Another forum user has suggested that I try iAtkos r2, and I will be trying it soon, but if you could share any wisdom I'd really appreciate it, and I'm sure other users with this processor would as well!

Thanks! :thumbsdown_anim:

Hi MasterofComputers (great name!),

Could you perhaps share with us your specs (mobo, video card, etc) and your bios settings? What Leo release are you using?

I have the same processor as you (intel p4 2.8ghz northwood) but have run into the rebooting problem whenever I try and install. Another forum user has suggested that I try iAtkos r2, and I will be trying it soon, but if you could share any wisdom I'd really appreciate it, and I'm sure other users with this processor would as well!

Thanks! :(

iATKOS and Kalyway haven't worked for me. I'm using ToH RC2 on it, and am considering to upgrade it with Leo4All. I'm not going to yet though because I want to help you guys out with this issue.

My Specs (HP D530):

Intel Pentium 4 Northwood @ 2.8 GHz

1 GB Smart Modular RAM

nVidia XFX 6200 (Low Profile) [nVInject - DVI Link]

Texas Instruments IEEE 1394 (Firewire Card - PCI)

WDC Caviar 250 GB [Three Partitions: (Vista, Storage, Leopard)]

I've got Leopard on my AMD notebook so I thought I'd try to put it on my older desktop. Same problem with the reboot loop though. I've read about changing BIOS settings, but I don't have any of the options people are talking about in mine.

Not working for me:

Leo4All v2

P4 @ 2.6 GHz

ASRock P4i65G

Hopefully if someone finds a distro that works for most people with SSE2...I don't think I'll bother downloading and wasting DVDs until then.

The ToH RC2 worked for a couple people it looks like.

If you got reboot loop take a distro that doesnt take pc_efi as bootloader or just install leopard within tiger with pacifist :(

Also you could try to replace the bootloader of the DVD with the standard darwin bootloader, should be no problem

Oh well, I guess its the end of the road for me then with OS X on AMD. I downloaded the Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel_AMD SSE 2/3, but just like persons in this thread, I am in the 'reboot loop'. I currently have Tiger 10.4.8 Jas on the partition I planned on installing Leopard. Tiger itself is a mess and just does not work at all, can't get to install 10.4.9 or find a decent update of it, can't install some of the latest apps I would like to test and review such as Adobe CS3 and Office 2008.

I am still glad for all the help I got. Gonna load Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on that partition when its released Thursday. :)

As for OS X and my future looks like the best way right now is to save and buy one from Apple. :(

Hello Everyone,

Finally downloaded Kalway 10.5.2, tried installing, but it just goes in a reboot loop. Tried the various -x, -s, -x v, and so on. But same results. I have disabled Legacy USB support and many other recommended components in the BIOS.

Specs:

ASROCK K8Upgrade-VM800 motherboard February 2006

AMD Sempron 1.6 GHz (64-Bit Enabled) SSE 2, SSE 3

BIOS version 2.3

512 MBs of DDR RAM

15 GB Partition

LITE-ON DVD drive (IDE)

I currently have 10.4.8 Jas on the partition and have installed successfully.

the Kalway ISO was burnt at the lowest speed possible (1x), also tried (4x).

I notice reboot does not occur on my laptop and goes really far.

Thanks for your help

I've tried everything I can think of and read 100's of posts and it seems every SSE2 user is not getting any help, with the current releases out there is it even possible to get Leopard up and running? We all get the same issue with the restart loops. Anyone with any ideas or experience getting around this? I've tried both releases of Kalyway with the same results with a sorts of different boot commands.

hmm, worked for my dell sse2 xeon 2.2ghz w iAtkosv1.0iir2 , i did however get the reboot loops your talking about during boot with kalyway on the dell...

What I'm curious about is what exactly is tripping us up on all of these installs? Is it just that our processors can't run the new Leopard kernels? What kernel is ToH RC2 using? Can we use that kernel with one of the other releases? I ask because I'd like to try and get a more recent version of leo up and running, rather than the beta release (I have leo on my macbook and I know how many bugs there were with 10.5.0)

What I'm curious about is what exactly is tripping us up on all of these installs? Is it just that our processors can't run the new Leopard kernels? What kernel is ToH RC2 using? Can we use that kernel with one of the other releases? I ask because I'd like to try and get a more recent version of leo up and running, rather than the beta release (I have leo on my macbook and I know how many bugs there were with 10.5.0)

Then I'd recommend trying the JaS 10.5.2 Distro. It's brand new from the same creator that made the extremely popular 10.4.8 distribution. Good Luck in your pursuits, and if you need me PM me.

I've tried everything I can think of and read 100's of posts and it seems every SSE2 user is not getting any help, with the current releases out there is it even possible to get Leopard up and running?

Just posted my success on Notebook Toshiba Satellite P20 (P4 HT 3.0 GHz) , only working SSE2 installation with iATKOSv1.0iR2 10.5.1 release, updated with Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo package. After one week testing different Kalyway & LEO4ALL (permanent kernel panic & reboot. With iATKOS, it runs good & fast with SSE2. Boot time = 45 sec until working in OSx86. Much more faster as my G4 powerbook with Mac LEO.

for details:    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88125

I've tried everything I can think of and read 100's of posts and it seems every SSE2 user is not getting any help, with the current releases out there is it even possible to get Leopard up and running?

Just posted my success on Notebook Toshiba Satellite P20 (P4 HT 3.0 GHz) , only working SSE2 installation with iATKOSv1.0iR2 10.5.1 release, updated with Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo package. After one week testing different Kalyway & LEO4ALL (permanent kernel panic & reboot. With iATKOS, it runs good & fast with SSE2. Boot time = 45 sec until working in OSx86. Much more faster as my G4 powerbook with Mac LEO.

for details:    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88125

JokersBestFriend - did you use any special flags when you booted into the install disc the first time? I am trying to get iAtkosv1.0iR2 to work but it hangs on install (still gets further than any other release I've tried though!). You and I have similar processor and motherboard chipset. Thanks for any help :P